Just got my clarke original..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mordred
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Just got my clarke original..

Post by mordred »

.. and i like it very much!
I especially like the fact that the second octave is not much louder than the first and it's not required a lot of pressure to flip into it. But the thing I like most is the chiffy, airy sound that the whistle produces.. I don't know, to me sounds like the sound of tradition :P
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I like them too, but...
A: they can suck a lot of wind out of you.
B: Because the metal is so thin and bendable, I'm always tempted to make adjustments to them. In fact I adjusted on today at lunch hour. I've destroyed a couple this way.
Short bio: 1952-
mordred

Post by mordred »

Whitmores75087 wrote: A: they can suck a lot of wind out of you.
exactly.. that's the only bad thing.. and add that i still need to learn when and how to breath efficiently.. :)
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

The Clarkes are known for that airy sound. The original D I have is easily the most comfortable on the lip of any of my whistles although the NPL (Notes Per Lungful) factor for it, well... sucks (easily half of what I get from most other whistles). The Sweetone that I have is similar in tone, but doesn't require as much air. Either way, the Clarkes have the sweetest tone from what I have played, almost flute-like.
Last edited by Steamwalker on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

mordred wrote:
Whitmores75087 wrote: A: they can suck a lot of wind out of you.
exactly.. that's the only bad thing.. and add that i still need to learn when and how to breath efficiently.. :)
but it is great for practicing with your lungs :wink: that is a great whistle, it was my first.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I just got my first Clarke Original, too. I've been playing mostly on a Feadog, and I was shocked at how much air the Original sucks out of you! A song that I can whip through on the Feadog takes almost twice as many breaths on the Clarke. It has a really nice tone when you fill it up, though. I call it a winner.
benbrad

Clark

Post by benbrad »

I love the sound of a Clarke in the morning . . . . it sounds like victory.
Ben
TheSpoonMan

Re: Clark

Post by TheSpoonMan »

benbrad wrote:I love the sound of a Clarke in the morning . . . . it sounds like victory.
I once played the Lark in the Morning on a Clarke in the Morning. It was pretty surreal.

I love Clarkes too. And those Cooperman ripoffs could be a lot worse Though I'm moving back to the Generation/Feadog type, mostly 'cause of the air requirement, yeah. It's not too tiring, but I'm not at a level where I can find that many good spots to breathe without killing the lift of a tune. Same reason I don't play trad on my flute much (though it's actually quite a bit better).
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

Ohhh Clarke! he was my first whistle, I adore his so pure and smooth, ideal sound for alone sessions, I can play it with my daughter sleeping and not wake up it, in addition thanks to he lets smoke; was impossible to play a Clarke if you smoke. :)

Clarke change my life. :)
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

gotta love .em :D
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

I realize that due to their design Clarke Original's inherently require more air, but I think it needs to be pointed out to those put off by the "high air requirerment" that it also depends on the player. One of my other hobbies is distance running, so I have never had a problem with the amount of air required to play a Clarke - and a good thing too since to my ear's you can't beat the sound - especially for ~$10.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Kerry wrote:I realize that due to their design Clarke Original's inherently require more air, but I think it needs to be pointed out to those put off by the "high air requirerment" that it also depends on the player. One of my other hobbies is distance running, so I have never had a problem with the amount of air required to play a Clarke - and a good thing too since to my ear's you can't beat the sound - especially for ~$10.
in tune too :D
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

As with the Generation whistle, the "quality" varies a little from whistle to whistle. They are hand made, and not exatly the same. Even though the individual differences are minute. It maight therefore be a good idea to buy a batch and pick out the best. A really good Clarke is a gem! And, if I may add, I´m the very proud owner of one! (even though I tend to get dizzy from playing it...) It´s very good for slow airs.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Whitmores75087 wrote:B: Because the metal is so thin and bendable, I'm always tempted to make adjustments to them. In fact I adjusted on today at lunch hour. I've destroyed a couple this way.
If I'm not mistaken, you can reduce the air requirements some by flattening the airway and bend the blade around to tweak it. There's been several threads on tweating Clarke's. Because the metal bends, the tweaking is reversable, up to a point. Buy a handful and have some fun. If you destroy one, do what I do: I put it in a box on the top shelf of my closet; they will give my kids something to do after the wake.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
riverman

Re: Clark

Post by riverman »

benbrad wrote:I love the sound of a Clarke in the morning . . . . it sounds like victory.
:lol: :lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.