How old were you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How old were you when you started playing?

0-9
4%
10-19
24%
20-29
17%
30-39
19%
40-49
19%
50+
19%

Total votes: 113

Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

We undoutedly had penny whistles around the house when I was a child - they're the sort of thing one adds to a purchase in a music shop, just because it's there on the counter next to the till.

However I didn't start seriously until I'd played guitar for five years and mandolin for another couple, and was looking for a more convenient travelling instrument. That was in the Summer of 2001, so I was 35. I joined C&F that Autumn through the recommendation of another whistler.

I dropped whistle (more or less completely) when I went back to fiddle, my first instrument and still the one that comes most naturally to me, in the Summer of 2003.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I was about 43; started with a Bill Ochs package of book of tunes, Clarke C whistle and cassette, purchased at my favorite toy shop in Manhattan when my daughter was about 3 years old. I wrote to Bill asking about lessons, but he wasn't teaching at the time. Some years later he contacted me and I started my long and happy association with him and the music that endures to this day.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i am 45 now , i started at around 34 went when i saw riverdance,called up some friends in england , and started getting overtons from bernard, went crazy on it, for about 3 years, close to doing a CD, -----than kids started popping out all over the place , i started driving OIL tankerships for ARCO ( transfered now to a refinery) and it all went down hill, whistle playing anyway :-? , ------------now at 45 i starting all over again , LIFE :D
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I bought a Feadan in 1982 or 1983 in Newport Rhode Island. I began playing it when I returned from a trip to Ireland in 2002. I was 63 when I began to play. It is not as easy when you are older but you can still learn. Since then I have been learning flute and keyboard. BTW 40 or so whistles later the original Feadan is still very good and is always in my bag along with Albas, Humphreys, Feadogs, Dixons, Susatos and Generations. Love them all. See the signature line.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I started when I was 18. Now I'm 21.
Tia

Post by Tia »

I got my first one was I was 10, and tried to figure out how to play it, had no book I just loved the idea of it, when I was 11 I got a book, and played every now and again the tunes from there, At 16 I actully started, when I was inspired by the cottars, and found more and more tunes, and all the tricks, and now am 19 and loving it :)
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Tia wrote:I got my first one was I was 10, and tried to figure out how to play it, had no book I just loved the idea of it, when I was 11 I got a book, and played every now and again the tunes from there, At 16 I actully started, when I was inspired by the cottars, and found more and more tunes, and all the tricks, and now am 19 and loving it :)
lovely name :D
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I started when I was 14 which was 4 years ago.
Tia

Post by Tia »

cavefish wrote:
Tia wrote:I got my first one was I was 10, and tried to figure out how to play it, had no book I just loved the idea of it, when I was 11 I got a book, and played every now and again the tunes from there, At 16 I actully started, when I was inspired by the cottars, and found more and more tunes, and all the tricks, and now am 19 and loving it :)
lovely name :D

huh? what is?...confused :-?
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

I became a penny whistle OWNER at about age 16. I began working seriously on becoming a PLAYER in my early forties, a few years ago.

Laura
twistedfingers

Post by twistedfingers »

At 30 I visited Ireland for the first time and picked up a Kerry low D and tutor book whilst I was there. Took me the last 4 days to get more than one note out of it as I remember.

Stayed with low whistles for the first couple of years, then 'graduated' to highs.

Since then my collection has always grown quicker than my ability.
Andy
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i had heart surgery when i was 43 and learned how to play the harmonica for my breathing exercises, then we had a guest musician at our folk group at church, the keyboard player's son-in-law. he played a whistle. you folks taught me the whistle shortly thereafter.

if i could turn the hands of time back, one of the few things that i would change would be to ask for a pennywhistle when i was a kid. this would have been way better than that awful guitar my parents got my brother and me when we were kids. later on, as adults, we both went on to learn how to play the guitar too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
manu.bande

Post by manu.bande »

About 11 or 12 years ago I went to Ireland by hitch-hiking and that was the first time I've started to appreciate irish people and their music !

It was so easy to hitch-hike around Irland and the people were really kind and friendly !

Anyway , after that I've been traveling for many years and did not have the chance or time to get a whistle , then more or less a year ago I've bought rthe first whistle ,a Sweetone, in Hong Kong and later a irish flute from Patrick the Doc .
From that moment I've been playing irish music everyday (at least 10 minutes a day ) !

Well , so I've started about 1 years ago , but wait a minute, how old am I ?!?!

Manuel
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm 53 now. I plan to begin learning to play soon.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
mordred

Post by mordred »

I started two weeks ago, and I'm 23.. Couldn't resist to ordering a clarke sweetone and original after having purchased my first whistle, that is a generation. I'll slow down, I want to concentrate on playing..