very upset at the music store (i guess it is a blog.)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tia

Post by Tia »

So far i've been pretty lucky with the music stores around here, in one I over heard the people running explaining a bit about it, and showing them where books where, in another where I actully bought one, he had several and was telling me about the differences, was pleased that people actully knew what they were.....

and i woulnt say the triangle is easy either, theres alot of cool stuff that goes along with playing one of those, like all insturments, well maybe not all, but it gets harder to play as you get better on it

also agree, you should go play some jigs for the guy, and then ask him if he could do the same..."casue it was soo easy", but it was good that you didnt blow up at him...oh people these days
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

When I began whistle making, I took lots of measurements from good playing instruments to keep on file, and integrate into my own. This included several different keys of whistles too, with the hope of making a complete chromatic spectrum.

I had gone into my local music shop (at least they're not total jerk there, its the only one withing 50 miles!) asking them about ordering in a whistle for me (the only stock they have is a few Gen. D's). They said ok, and told me it would be in in a week. When I asked what key they planned to order (I was looking for an F) thye seemed confused. "Well," they told me, "if you'd like to order in a book that will tell you how to use the keys in order to play in all the different musical keys, we can get you one of those too." Realizing they were thinking of somethign else like a flute, I tried to explaing that, like flute, they are made in a specific root keys, that they were esentially diatonic. The man understood this, saying "oh, you mean like a harmonica, that plays like the white keys of a piano". I said basically yes. He then asked me, and I'm not kidding, "well how do thet fit all those reeds in that little plastic mouthpiece, and what do the holes do?" :o :lol:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Tia wrote:and i woulnt say the triangle is easy either, theres alot of cool stuff that goes along with playing one of those, like all insturments, well maybe not all, but it gets harder to play as you get better on it.
I prefer the cowbell. More cowbell, please.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yes, this thread is moving in the cow bell direction
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

Don't be too terribly hard on the guy. He naturally had no idea. I had no idea until about a month ago that that lovely sound in all those nice Irish tunes in my iPod was that very same $7 "toy" instrument.

You really should go down there and play one for him. And then ask him to order a few.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

The Whistle Collector wrote:... then he said "only instruments that somewhat difficult to play, the only thing easier is a kazoo and triangle." ....
Sounds about right.
eskin wrote:Would have been a perfect opportunity to enlighten him. If I had been there, and they actually sold pennywhistles, I would have dashed off a nice set of reels, then said, with a big smile on my face said, "Hey you're right, that really is pretty simple!" and left him wondering...
Unseen122 wrote:I would have done that same thing as Mike suggests. You know it is really that simple, after years of practice. How about you go back to that store with your nicest most expensive whistle and show him what playing ITM is really about!
Wanderer wrote:I once bought a $1.95 Trophy brand tinwhistle (made for kids) at a music store. While the cashier was ringing me up, I played some tunes on it. His jaw about hit the counter. :lol:
/Bloomfield
CrackPiper

Post by CrackPiper »

...I think the clerk's response might have a lot more to do with his own pathology than anything else. It's a symptom of what happens when someone is forced to make his living doing something other than what he loves (most likely playing or composing music), but where his occupation is tangentially attached to it. You see the same behavior from teachers with less than noble motives for their job, from the clerk at the Barnes and Noble when you ask for the new Steven King, and the list goes on.

Now, we as a group, tend to be immune to this, because from the beginning, very few of us aim to make ITM a career choice...just want to play in a good session, drink a few pints w/good friends and maybe learn that really tricky reel (not always in that order).

But here's the real point. Not to long ago they we're stringing us up for things like playing that whistle (or those pipes...one of the things I doubt they'll ever show in one of those movies/mini-series about the "great" Elizabeth I :swear: ) or for wearin green or for...you all know the drill...we have nothing to prove to guys like that. That 'toy' musical instrument has been one of the main repositories of our heritage. $7? Is that the cost of it? No, it's priceless.

mq
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hmmm. "The PostStructural Triangle Internet Experience with Dale Wisely." That's the ticket.

I can play the crap out of the triangle. Not to brag or anything.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hmmm. "The PostStructural Triangle Internet Experience with Dale Wisely." That's the ticket.

I can play the crap out of the triangle. Not to brag or anything.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

walrii wrote:One idea that attracted me to the whistle was the "reverse snobbery" I saw on this board. Many musicians (indeed, many artisans and artists of any stripe) subscribe to the idea that as one's skills increase, one's instruments/tools should become more expensive, making expensive instruments/tools a de facto indicator of skill. Whistlers generally follow the opposite concept that the truly great whistlers are those who make the inexpensive whistles sing. If the music store clerk doesn't get it, that's his loss, not ours.
Well said. If I had a whistle in hand I would have played
something to make a point. But to go back to the place
to prove something to a moron? Why give
a fool that sort of power over what I do?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

CrackPiper wrote:...I think the clerk's response might have a lot more to do with his own pathology than anything else. It's a symptom of what happens when someone is forced to make his living doing something other than what he loves (most likely playing or composing music), but where his occupation is tangentially attached to it.....
mq
I take your point about the clerk not being particularly interested in or happy with his job. I really doubt, though, that he would be playing or composing music if he didn't have to have a day job. I just don't think he seemed to know enough about it :lol: . Not arguing with you, just saying I don't think the fellow is a music lover, but I could be wrong.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

If the subject takes care of the music store, his to have it is to have minimum knowledge of varied instruments, if no, that another use looks for.! :D :D :moreevil: :moreevil: :twisted:
azw

Post by azw »

I'm convinced that one of our essential tasks in life is to learn how to deal with the troll under the bridge and the fool at the counter. In fact, shopping has given me a great number of opportunities to try out new approaches.

There's nothing more satisfying than thinking up a response that discharges the emotionality, but I don't think that's always possible.

The most important part, though, is to recognize my initial emotional response to the troll, and then slow down my rush to respond.

And that's exactly what the Whistle Collector did. So, congrats to you! What you did doesn't come naturally.
Belgian_Waffle

Hey, don't diss the triangle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

I once saw a classical concert where the triangle-player hit it in the wrong place twice. 't Was really, really painfull... So I reckon even the triangle shouldn't be dissed...
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Music shop assistants have to be rude and surly, as do record shop assistants and especially computer shop assistants. It's in their job description.