Chifffie gardens

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Then whatever creature we have is mimicking armadillos. We don't have them here.
It really has me bugged. There are areas where there may be 20-30 of these little holes in our yard. At least whatever it is seems to have quit trashing the flowers I planted. I am still inclined to say skunk. The only thing that doesn't fit is we've not smelled skunk at all and usually do if there's one around.

I guess this varmint will remain one of life's little mysteries.

We did have a 4'long black snake drinking out of the dog water bowl the other day. It's a testament to how dry it is here that this snake continued to drink for about 3 minutes while we (and several dogs) stood about 5 ' from him watching.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I was giving my eldertrees and the valerian, black cohosh, goldenseal, wild ginger, figwort, and various mints planted under them a spot of water this morning when I discovered I have a fine crop of kittens just about ready to be harvested as well.

I don't think I can afford to this year though. I might leave them out there to reseed.
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

We could use a barn cat. I don't suppose you can Fed Ex us some kitty seeds? :wink:

We've never had an outdoor cat, but I'm starting to seriously consider it. Now that we have the aviary and pole barn I'm starting to notice lots more mice. How do you encourage an outdoor cat to be independant enough to catch mice, yet not wander off entirely?
djm

Post by djm »

Caroluna wrote:How do you encourage an outdoor cat to be independant enough to catch mice, yet not wander off entirely?
Provide water, a small amount of food, and shelter in the same building you want protexted. This is not guaranteed, but gives you a better chance of keeping them.

You have a barn for your poles?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

You might try contacting a local vet and ask if they know of someone trying to find a home for a good mouser.

Make sure its been neutered. Their species can be very invasive under the right conditions.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've posted a bunch of pics of my first experience with (non-container) gardening. Still in the developing and discovering stages. Some plants are still filling out their alloted spaces. Some, I've yet to see how they grow and whether they're properly situated. The photos were taken at different times since I moved into this house exactly a year ago. Most of the photos are from within the past month. The rocks placed on the hillside, I lugged via my car trunk from my mom's house, about 7 at a time. I dug out and terraced the hill (I hope I didn't create a disaster next rainy season...) and put gardening soil in the trences. A wonder I didn't blow out my spine.
http://public.box.net/whistletunes10120
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I fixed the link so you don't have to sign in. (I mean I figured it out.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

TonyHiggins wrote:I've posted a bunch of pics of my first experience with (non-container) gardening. ...The photos were taken at different times since I moved into this house exactly a year ago.
Tony
Your pictures are gorgeous! I wish I had rocks in my garden... :envious:

I couldn't get the photos to appear larger than thumbnail size. Maybe the site was acting flaky ??? I'll try again later.
Denny

Post by Denny »

'bout 11 minutes later...works fine for me.Image