London 2012 Olympic Logo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

You know, I'm prepared to entertain the idea that the reason we all think it's ugly is because it's cutting-edge design, or beyond. The designers' brief was for an event that a few years off, and they wanted something that's still going to look futuristic when the time arrives.

We all get conditioned to see the unfamilar as ugly. Remember, when the french impressionists first showed their art, the public thought it was hideous. Now, the most expensive paintings in the world is a van Gogh.

But, if that's the look of the future, I want a second opinion. It's thoroughly unpleasant.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Not very good, is it...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A lot of people think that, far from being modern, the design looks like 80s graffiti, and feel if they were going for the graffiti look, Banksy would have done it far better.

http://technorati.com/tag/banksy

It feels like the designers are trying to appeal to yoof culture, and have missed by a mile.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Martin Milner wrote:Banksy would have done it far better.
He would, indeed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Look. If it's gonna be bad art, at least make it apropos:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

At first it made me think of the cover art on "Out to hunch".

The photo does not give it justice.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Martin Milner wrote:It feels like the designers are trying to appeal to yoof culture, and have missed by a mile.
Nonsense... Kids love it when Simpsons characters get it on.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The really scary thing is that the committee commissioned a seer who told them in 5 years our tastes will have changed to the point that we're going to love it.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I hire and sometimes fire graphic designers on a regular basis.

Some design firm just set down some serious bullsh*t to get that tripe swallowed.

"Emperor's new clothed" someones back side raw they did.

Its bad design.

If a large swath of people don't "get it" then you have made a major miscalculation somewhere.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

In spite of all excuses, rationalizations or psychic proclamations-

that is just plain awful.

(I'd have done 'um one a lot cheaper, no more than say 600,000. :P )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Last night on the Daily Show Jon Stwerart said it looks like a stop sign going down on a juke box.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Aanvil wrote:I hire and sometimes fire graphic designers on a regular basis.

Some design firm just set down some serious bullsh*t to get that tripe swallowed.

"Emperor's new clothed" someones back side raw they did.

Its bad design.

If a large swath of people don't "get it" then you have made a major miscalculation somewhere.

THANK you.

If someone wants to be a misunderstood starving artist with a vision only to be posthumously grasped, that's one thing. Commercial art is quite another: it should somehow reflect the times. The 2012 Olympics design as it stands reflects nothing at all. It doesn't even have the elements to reflect anything.

Oh, who knows. In five years maybe there'll be nothing to reflect anyway.

I just hope the designer is laughing all the way to the bank, 'cause if s/he is seriously convinced of the aesthetic, cultural, and commercial value of his or her effort, that would be just too bizarre for me to consider. That a design firm would pimp that sort of thing speaks of laziness. Nothing more.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician