digital camera

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

digital camera

Post by amar »

I want one. :D
Trying to decide between these:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/ ... -1483.html
Can anyone help?
Cheers. :)
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I think the Panasonics cameras have Leica lenses. I'm obssesive with Leica hardware so its a pick between those two. Pick the 7M if its a price point issue.

my $0.02
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fel bautista wrote:I think the Panasonics cameras have Leica lenses. I'm obssesive with Leica hardware so its a pick between those two. Pick the 7M if its a price point issue.

my $0.02
That is absolutely correct, sir!

/Leica FTW
//M5 FTW
///too poor for anything else
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
amar

Post by amar »

yes, it does. but what I really like about the ricoh is that it has a minimum macro range of 1cm. The panasonics have 5cm. I'm interested in taking close-ups of my carnivorous plants, not sure if 5cm can do the trick?
Anybody have experience in macro-ranges?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

you can get macro adapters.
Personally I wouldn't settle for the Ricoh just on the basis of the macro feature.

just sayin.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
amar

Post by amar »

Tyler, would you go for the panasonic because of the leica lenses, or is there an other reason?
hm...not easy..
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:Tyler, would you go for the panasonic because of the leica lenses, or is there an other reason?
hm...not easy..
The leica lens woudl be one reason. Another would be because it appears on the surface to be a decent compromise between power and quality for the price. In point-and-shoot digitals, you really don't want to get into anything over 7mp, because of the increased ammount of noise in the photos taken at higher ASA ratings. There are programs out there to deal with the noise and remove it, but I'd rather not deal with it at all in the first place.
Just MHO.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I have a Lumix. I'm very pleased with it.

Here's a couple macro shot examples from my trip to Ireland:

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Whoa! Great snail-cam shot!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

dfernandez77 wrote:I have a Lumix. I'm very pleased with it.

Here's a couple macro shot examples from my trip to Ireland:

nice!!

Yeah, go for the lumix amar.
Denny

Post by Denny »

lumix

dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

We've had an earlier Lumix for about a year and a half and are very happy with it. The optical and digital zooms combine to about 15X and it works well at that distance, probably because it also has image stabilization.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Tyler Morris wrote:In point-and-shoot digitals, you really don't want to get into anything over 7mp, because of the increased ammount of noise in the photos taken at higher ASA ratings.
How does the MP rating affect this? Any ASA above about 800 is going to introduce some noise wouldn't it?

Also, Wouldn't the size of the CCD chip contribute to this? The smaller the chip, physically, the more noise will be introduced regardless of the MP rating. I thought.

What's happening here? Will you elaborate?
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Scott McCallister wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:In point-and-shoot digitals, you really don't want to get into anything over 7mp, because of the increased ammount of noise in the photos taken at higher ASA ratings.
How does the MP rating affect this? Any ASA above about 800 is going to introduce some noise wouldn't it?

Also, Wouldn't the size of the CCD chip contribute to this? The smaller the chip, physically, the more noise will be introduced regardless of the MP rating. I thought.

What's happening here? Will you elaborate?
They're trying to squeeze more MPs into the same size ccd, and the result is smaller, less efficient pixels (meaning, weaker signal to the camera's processor).
Those 8-10MP point-and-shoots will get better resolution at low ISOs, but poorer resolution at higher ISOs, than say a 6-7MP camera.

Here's some more info, sorry I couldn't take more time to dig up more; I just got a project dumped into my lap that I thougt I'd have a whole week to complete...ugh.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/
http://www.dansdata.com/gz059.htm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

(If anyone can tell me why the first two pics came out the way they did on this board, tell me and I'll try to fix it).
Don't know how important it is to you, but I notice that your choices don't have aperture or shutter priority modes. You'd need to choose a different style of camera such as:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/st ... splayTab=S

The chunkier, SLR styling is actually quite comfortable to use. I ended up with a comparable Kodak camera (Z612) and have been extremely happy with it.

Shutter priority lets you do cool things like blurring moving water for artistic effects:
Having a long zoom was important to me since while hiking I often see great stuff too far away to otherwise take pics of. These Columbines were clinging to a shale cliff over the Mohawk River and the closest I could safely get was about 20 feet away. Image stabilization lets you get these shots without a tripod:

I just liked this mossy picture:

Note that although my camera is 6mp, I shot these at 4mp to keep file size down. Still not bad.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!