Some of life's deep questions.....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I think I.D.10-t's idea of answering all the questions is neat----your mother-in-law will be so impressed.

So here is the answer to "Why didn't Tarzan have a beard?" The answer is "He shaved." I guess they didn't think it was significant enough to show it in the movies.
Edgar Rice Burroughs » Tarzan of the Apes » Chapter 13 wrote:The young Lord Greystoke [Tarzan] was indeed a strange and war-like figure, his mass of black hair falling to his shoulders behind and cut with his hunting knife to a rude bang upon his forehead, that it might not fall before his eyes.

His straight and perfect figure, muscled as the best of the ancient Roman gladiators must have been muscled, and yet with the soft and sinuous curves of a Greek god, told at a glance the wondrous combination of enormous strength with suppleness and speed.

A personification, was Tarzan of the Apes, of the primitive man, the hunter, the warrior.

With the noble poise of his handsome head upon those broad shoulders, and the fire of life and intelligence in those fine, clear eyes, he might readily have typified some demigod of a wild and warlike bygone people of his ancient forest.

But of these things Tarzan did not think. He was worried because he had not clothing to indicate to all the jungle folks that he was a man and not an ape, and grave doubt often entered his mind as to whether he might not yet become an ape.

Was not hair commencing to grow upon his face? All the apes had hair upon theirs but the black men were entirely hairless, with very few exceptions.

True, he had seen pictures in his books of men with great masses of hair upon lip and cheek and chin, but, nevertheless, Tarzan was afraid. Almost daily he whetted his keen knife and scraped and whittled at his young beard to eradicate this degrading emblem of apehood.

And so he learned to shave--rudely and painfully, it is true--but, nevertheless, effectively.

The things a person learns around here :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wombat
antispam: No

Re: Some of life's deep questions.....

Post by Wombat »

peeplj wrote:
chrisoff wrote:
HampshireWhistler wrote: If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?
http://cnfpoli.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=8
Mankind evolved alongside apes, from common ancestors.

Evolution does not say man evolved from apes (or from monkeys, same situation as apes).

Evolution says that man, apes, and monkeys all share common ancestry.

--James

P.S. Although, I'll grant you, were I either an ape or a monkey, I might find the idea of common ancestry with mankind particularly revolting, all things considered. :wink:
That's true, but even if it weren't there wouldn't be a puzzle. Speciation often occurs when part of a population becomes reproductively isolated from the rest. One group might change enough genetically to be a new species while the other remains substantially the same. Different selective pressures on the groups would make this more likely.

The stars and paint example isn't too hard, either. The number of stars is of no practical significance to most people. Whether the paint is wet or not is.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, "It's all right?" Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, "That hurt, you stupid idiot?"
Why do we use expressions like stupid idiot? Is this as opposed to smart idiot?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

chas wrote:Why do we use expressions like stupid idiot? Is this as opposed to smart idiot?
Well, when the Normans took over England, they brought their
language along. At first, they oppressed the language of the
Anglo-Saxons they conquered, but eventually they started
integrating Germanic words into legal and business terminology.
Many times, both words were used in courts of law to make sure
everyone could understand. Eventually, both words just became
English synonyms, so these phrases now seem redundant, but still
persist in legalspeak today.... e.g., "last will and testament",
"breaking and entering", "stupid idiot". :)
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

chas wrote:
When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, "It's all right?" Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, "That hurt, you stupid idiot?"
Why do we use expressions like stupid idiot? Is this as opposed to smart idiot?
That's a good point. According to Merriam Webster's online dictionaryhttp://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
An idiot is a stupid person:
Main Entry: id·i·ot
Pronunciation: 'i-dE-&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French ydiote, from Latin idiota ignorant person, from Greek idiOtEs one in a private station, layman, ignorant person, from idios one's own, private; akin to Latin suus one's own -- more at SUICIDE
1 usually offensive : a person affected with idiocy
2 : a foolish or stupid person
- idiot adjective
I guess the words stupid an idiot just seem to flow nicely together. :D
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

fearfaoin wrote:
chas wrote:Why do we use expressions like stupid idiot? Is this as opposed to smart idiot?
Well, when the Normans took over England, they brought their
language along. At first, they oppressed the language of the
Anglo-Saxons they conquered, but eventually they started
integrating Germanic words into legal and business terminology.
Many times, both words were used in courts of law to make sure
everyone could understand. Eventually, both words just became
English synonyms, so these phrases now seem redundant, but still
persist in legalspeak today.... e.g., "last will and testament",
"breaking and entering", "stupid idiot". :)
Very interesting. :)
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

fearfaoin wrote: "last will and testament",
interesting. the word "last" makes it all seem so -- i don't know -- final.
but what is the document called if the person decides to rewrite it? it doesn't seem like they can get away with calling it the "next will and testament" -- the previous version was, afterall, the "last" will and testament. maybe its not actually termed the last will and testament until after the person is deceased? that way we would be fairly certain that it is, indeed, the last one. or, perhaps, the legal system has some boring name for this subsequent document like: "an addendum." :boggle:
ever been mugged by a quaker?
djm

Post by djm »

It would be called, "More Finally Last ... With a Vengeance!"

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wombat wrote:
peeplj wrote:
Mankind evolved alongside apes, from common ancestors.

Evolution does not say man evolved from apes (or from monkeys, same situation as apes).

--James

P.S. Although, I'll grant you, were I either an ape or a monkey, I might find the idea of common ancestry with mankind particularly revolting, all things considered. :wink:
That's true, but even if it weren't there wouldn't be a puzzle. Speciation often occurs when part of a population becomes reproductively isolated from the rest. One group might change enough genetically to be a new species while the other remains substantially the same. Different selective pressures on the groups would make this more likely.

The stars and paint example isn't too hard, either. The number of stars is of no practical significance to most people. Whether the paint is wet or not is.
I have a question. Maybe it's not really related...if not, I apologize. Why can dogs still breed with wolves (even smaller male dogs, like chihuahuas, can in theory impregnant female wolves), after thousands of years of dogs being bred differently from wolves? I've always wondered that.
djm

Post by djm »

Pecker power. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Cranberry wrote:
Wombat wrote:
peeplj wrote: Mankind evolved alongside apes, from common ancestors.

--James

I have a question. Maybe it's not really related...if not, I apologize. Why can dogs still breed with wolves (even smaller male dogs, like chihuahuas, can in theory impregnant female wolves), after thousands of years of dogs being bred differently from wolves? I've always wondered that.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00716.htm wrote:Question - I know wolves and dogs can mate, but can the offspring of
this interspecies union reproduce with a wolf, a dog, and/or another
wolf-dog?
---------------------------------------
Wolves and dogs can interbreed, however, it is very rare they would do so
without humans purposfully mating them. From wolf-dogs, as they are called,
it is probable that they could also interbreed, the question would if they
would choose to.

Grace Field
====================================================================
In an indication of just how closely related wolves and dogs are, most
hybrid offspring are fertile and can mate in any of those ways. It is much
more common for most hybrids to be sterile.

J. Elliott
====================================================================
You're thinking of the example of mules, right? Well, dogs and wolves
offspring CAN have their own babies. So much for our definition of species,
huh? The species concept has been one of the hardest things for scientists
to define, because there are so many exceptions! Remember also that
definitions are human ideas-nature doesn't always fall into place just
because we say so! At any rate, genetic studies show that dogs and wolves
share a very recent common ancestor. It may be that they aren't really
separate species after all, but on the road to becoming separate species. We
may be witnessing a speciation event in progress.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Cranberry wrote:
Wombat wrote:
peeplj wrote: Mankind evolved alongside apes, from common ancestors.

--James

Not if the wolf's hungry. :)
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Good one :lol: .
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My first thought re: chihuahuaXwolf- ever known a chichi dog that didn't think itself the biggest, toughest creature in the forest?

We use to see wolf hybrids on occasion at the clinic where I use to work. The eyes were always the giveaway- there's just a very different look to them. I always felt it was the lack of domestication that I was seeing. Very beautiful, but not to be taken lightly or for granted. I always felt sorry for the animals and irritation at the "owners". None really realized they did not have a dog, with years of domestication and were playing with a potential loaded gun.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

A couple of my favorite imponderables:

Why do drive-up ATM's have braille?

And my favorite, since I see it so often:

Why do trail heads have handicapped parking?
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.