Dad's Car

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Dad's Car

Post by Doug_Tipple »

There has been a black and silver 400/SEL Mercedes Sedan parking across the street in front of our house for 10 days or so. I thought that it belonged to one of the children of my neighbor. However, after a little investigation, we discovered that it actually belongs to a student who had been attending Butler University this past year. She didn't even live on our street, but she flew back to Arizona for the summer thinking that it would be OK to leave her dad's expensive car parked on our street, not mentioning it, of course, to the people who's house that she was parking in front of. I ask you, "What was she thinking?"
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

If someone stole it, he would be like really, really, mad. And like, omigod, you don't wanna see her Dad when he gets, like, really, really mad. Omigod!
:lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

crookedtune wrote:If someone stole it, he would be like really, really, mad. And like, omigod, you don't wanna see her Dad when he gets, like, really, really mad. Omigod!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

"What was she thinking?"
She wasn't.

Or maybe that it's dad's car not hers- disposable.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

cowtime wrote:Or maybe that it's dad's car not hers- disposable.
I suspect this is more likely the case. Its like asking why kids trash the house, or walk out wearing your expensive clothes, etc. etc. They do it because they have no vested interest in the material item that the parent puts so much value in. It was available and cost them nothing. If the girl in question had worked part-time after school for three years scraping together every penny while still attending school, I imagine that car would be locked in a high security vault right now.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

All of the above answers are probably true, but also it is possible to be a college student and do all sorts of grown-up things like drive a car and pump gas without really having a clue about things like
I have a large expensive object--what do I need to know to keep it safe?
and
I have a place to live--what do I need to know about keeping it inhabitable?
and
I have a credit card--what do I need to know about spending limits?

I'm sure that some fault lies with the parents who haven't thought about the fact that we need to convey all this earthly knowledge to our children, but since most of us learned via trial and error, I guess they will too.
Denny

Post by Denny »

if daddy had just bought princess the porsche she asked for in the first place she wouldn't have left the stupid sedan on the street... :wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Denny wrote:if daddy had just bought princess the porsche she asked for in the first place she wouldn't have left the stupid sedan on the street... :wink:
Seriously. What was he thinking???
Denny

Post by Denny »

see! not her fault!

bad genes :D
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

Denny wrote:see! not her fault!

bad genes :D
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

How about an address, Doug....we'll take care of that car for you... :twisted: :D :P :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

In Denver cars can be ticketed if they are left unmoved for 3 days (residential street parking with no meters)... 3 tickets and the car will be booted. 10 days after that, impounded.

Not very often enforced but handy with the occaisional interloper wanting to leave a winnebago in front of your house.

:D :lol: :D
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

From the Consolidated City/County Code for Indianapolis/Marion County--
Sec. 621-117. Parking for longer than six hours restricted.
It shall be unlawful for the owner, driver or operator of any vehicle to park such vehicle, or to permit the vehicle to be parked or to stand, for a longer period than six (6) hours upon any street, alley, highway or other public place in the city, other than with the written consent of the owner or tenant of the property abutting the street, alley or place where the vehicle is parked; provided, however, this section shall not be deemed to permit the parking or standing of any vehicle in contravention of any other provision of this chapter or Code prohibiting, restricting or regulating the parking or standing of vehicles.
(Code 1975, § 29-263)
You might call the local constabulary. They should be able to remove it, although they may have to hang a little paperwork on it first.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Just thought you might like to be reminded of the Saudi Arabian approach to illegal parking, as carried out at Riyadh Airport. (It's a military airport as well as a civil one, so they're a bit tense about it.)
They have a fork-lift truck, and unattended cars are moved immediately. If you are unlucky, when you come back, your car may be at the bottom of the stack. Really.
:twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!