Internet angels

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jlunt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jlunt »

Eskin, I just sent you ten bucks. I've learned a lot from your site and that is worth plenty, but it's also because you've put up with way more than ten dollars in aggravation on this thread.
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there,

Since this thread still remains open at the moment, I thought I would give it just one more final bump from me. I’m hoping that folks will bear with me considering the amount of posts I’ve actually contributed to the boards to date since I joined.

Not that I wish to continue this thread any further as to cause any more arguments, and perhaps through feeling` inspired` or just to get the `bleeding` thing finally of my chest, I would like to add some comment in linking in with the `train` of thought used in my previous `analogy` post.

Re `Spokes`

Perhaps before making any comment on the actual membership/content of these resources, it may perhaps be worth giving some consideration to the purpose and `aims` of some of these resources available. Bearing in mind that one could just take the view of `thanking one and all` and leave it at that, which I cant seem to do cos
I am a `troll` or a `dog with a bone`, I do think there are differences between them that can actually make one think twice about participating in but not necessarily make one think twice about making comment on.

I do think there are differences worth mentioning for those who wish to participate between `whistlethis.com`,`Clips and Snips`,`session.org` and others.

At the outset, Wynders site at `whistlethis.com` invited people to join in and contribute their style and technique. It offers a forum for clips, discussion and feedback/critique for ones playing. It also has a role for one or two `mentors` for beginners to learn from.

So what is wrong with this one might say, well nothing on the surface

but……

Somewhere along the line through discussions on the forums between the members, mentors, and wynder himself, the emphasis and direction of the site moved `goalposts` from where it first started. It was made clear by wynder in the forums while it may have first started out as a `traditional` music website, the website was now going to focus specifically on `ITM` styles and that the `mentor postings should reflect this. It was also made clear by many beginner members that they only wanted to hear `Irish` style whistle clips ` ornamentation` being posted probably in fear of being misled or misinformed.

The decision to change focus was reached in consideration of the general consensus and preference for `Irish` style music amongst the predominately beginner members and the one or two mentors.

Personally, I went along with Wynders `initial` idea for the website especially as he had taken steps to affiliate the site with C&F and it encouraged anyone to contribute their style and technique regardless of `persuasion`.

Although the website does welcome people to learn `Traditional` music, the `spoke` if you like, is now clearly bent towards `ITM`.
This leaves me with the opinion that it has become rather `self serving` in it’s function and role within the wider Internet `traditional` community.

I can only discern and judge for myself, each of the `websites` and `resources` available by the `scope` they afford me to actually participate in, actively engage with, get some kind of value from, and for that matter, think the contribution I would make, might be of value to.

As a musician who has a passion and interest in traditional music, I am obviously going to lean towards a website/ resource that I think does afford and offer me a `wider scope` of traditional music that I can engage with.

C&F / `Clips and Snips` does offer me that resource. It provides a forum that accepts `Whistle` `Traditional` and ` Music`regardless of persuasion.

The session.org is another site I would recommend for the same reason.

So while one is `encouraged` to participate and contribute in `all` these websites, not all of them might actually make one feel their contribution is of any value or worth the effort.

In relation to the `spokes` in my earlier analogy, and with specific reference to `whistlethis` as a resource, it appears to me that they are now trying to raise membership to `polish` the rust away back to the `pure` metal instead of helping to keep the actual `tyre` inflated so that it keeps turning.

I suppose the other thing I would care to mention is that there are actually more musicians helping to keep the `tyre` inflated than there are trying to polish the `spokes` so given the choice, I would rather focus on keeping the tyre inflated.

Here endeth my thanks and appreciation of internet resources and analogy pursuits.

pkev
billh

Post by billh »

It's a pity this thread got so irredeemably personal. The issues raised seem critically important.

in friendship,

Bill
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

To all who make tremendous efforts to share their knowledge of whistling with newbies like me : THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU x 1000 !!!

To all who think their only it for the money : think again ! There is a huge difference between asking for a donation, selling a dvd, putting ads on a site etc. and just making a site subscription only. If you can only acces the site if you paid, then you're only in it for the money ! These guys aren't ! Nobody's forcing you to click the adds, make a donation etc. which basically means the sites are free...

And thanks again to Whistles, Eskin, mr. Dunns and all the others that give me the chance to learn from behind my pc !
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there,

It might be worth considering that there is actually a specific forum here at C&F to advertise one's tune teaching sites & services.

It's called `Teachers wanted / Students Accepted`. Guidelines are given on how to post.

Might be more thoughtful to post there rather than the `whistle` forum for recruitment purposes.

Upon reflection of this thread, and the original post by Mitch,
I do apologise Mitch, for slightly `tweaking` your thread.

I have mentioned my thanks and appreciation of those at C&F
and `Clips $ Snips` etc so I'll leave it at that......

pkev

sorry for typo, again
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

thanks to all the great sites like this one whistlethis, the session, and PWA. it has changed my life in a great way, being on here keeps my motivation to stay on the whistle and flute, i learn great tunes, and make some good friends. thanks to all who have made this a wonderful experience, you have truly made a huge sacrifice.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

Peter Laban wrote:For the record I have no interest at all in posting videoclips of myself or actively putting up a website myself forward as an example of whistle playing. I would find it highly embarrassing. There are far better qualified players to take as an example.
something at last that i can agree with!!! (don't feel bad, peter, my playing really stinks too.) i've heard you play the pipes and the whistle and i can tell we both sorely need some serious instruction. as far as playing irtrad, you should really concentrate a bit more on the rhythm - i can't really explain it (i know it when i hear it) - you sort of need to truly understand itm to get what i'm trying to say. i suggest listening to some of the really good players like ennis. (a metronome might help too with some of your timing issues). if we keep listening and working on it, peter, i am confident that we will both eventually figure it out. the important thing is don't give up hope. it just takes some of us longer than others... :thumbsup:

your peer,
tyrone

ps: don't let these "big egos" get to you. we are just as good as they are!!! :wink:
ever been mugged by a quaker?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Ba bum pum.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

TyroneShoelaces wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:For the record I have no interest at all in posting videoclips of myself or actively putting up a website myself forward as an example of whistle playing. I would find it highly embarrassing. There are far better qualified players to take as an example.
something at last that i can agree with!!! (don't feel bad, peter, my playing really stinks too.) i've heard you play the pipes and the whistle and i can tell we both sorely need some serious instruction. as far as playing irtrad, you should really concentrate a bit more on the rhythm - i can't really explain it (i know it when i hear it) - you sort of need to truly understand itm to get what i'm trying to say. i suggest listening to some of the really good players like ennis. (a metronome might help too with some of your timing issues). if we keep listening and working on it, peter, i am confident that we will both eventually figure it out. the important thing is don't give up hope. it just takes some of us longer than others... :thumbsup:

your peer,
tyrone

ps: don't let these "big egos" get to you. we are just as good as they are!!! :wink:
:lol: And yet another customer for the "Tongue-in-cheek-strain reliever".
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
eskin

Post by eskin »

This is great, keep it up, the checks just keep rolling in!

Mo money! Mo money! Mo money! C'mon say it with me!

Hey, who here will be at the CTMS Solstice Festival in June? I'm looking forward to two glorious nights of sessioning until I fall asleep in my chair. There's nothing quite like waking up in a session with a whistle in your mouth playing the Bucks of Oranmore at 4 AM and not remembering how you got there. That's what I'm talking about!

Cheers,

Michael
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Wake up with... what? :o

Not sure I like the sound of that... I had better bring a Thermos full of black coffee.

:D :lol:

I plan to be there!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there,

Eskin wrote:

Hey Michael, that sure is a lot of Mo's there, so why don't you team up with Mo-Croi and Michael Hamilton. I'm sure he will say it with you!

Kindred Spirits and all that!

Cheers
pkev
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

pkev wrote:Hi there,

Eskin wrote:

Hey Michael, that sure is a lot of Mo's there, so why don't you team up with Mo-Croi and Michael Hamilton. I'm sure he will say it with you!

Kindred Spirits and all that!

Cheers
pkev
I am sure Mike was being facetious.
pkev

Post by pkev »

Steam wrote:
I am sure Mike was being facetious.
Yeh, couldn't resist the Mo's tho

Cheers
pkev
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

jlunt wrote:Eskin, I just sent you ten bucks. I've learned a lot from your site and that is worth plenty, but it's also because you've put up with way more than ten dollars in aggravation on this thread.
i have to admit it sounds tempting to jump on the band wagon. but what do we get for the dough besides a website? does he at least throw in a set of ginsu steak knives? or a ronco chop-a-matic?
ever been mugged by a quaker?