Some of life's deep questions.....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
HampshireWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Some of life's deep questions.....

Post by HampshireWhistler »

My mother recently emailed this to me....

Why, Why, Why

Do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are

getting dead?

Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough money?

Why does some one believe you when you say there are four "billion"

stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?

Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw a revolver at him?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are

always white?

Is there ever a day that mattresses are not on sale?

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that

something new to eat will have materialized?

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?

Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end on your first try?

How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures?

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, "It's all right?" Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, "That hurt, you stupid idiot?"

Why is it that whenever you attempt to catch something that's falling off

the table you always manage to knock something else over?

In winter why do we try to keep the house as warm as it was in summer when we complained about the heat?

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

And finally....

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is

suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best

friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Just some food for though...

Hampster :D
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Some of life's deep questions.....

Post by chrisoff »

HampshireWhistler wrote: If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?
http://cnfpoli.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=8
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

chrisoff wrote:
HampshireWhistler wrote: If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?
http://cnfpoli.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=8
Mankind evolved alongside apes, from common ancestors.

Evolution does not say man evolved from apes (or from monkeys, same situation as apes).

Evolution says that man, apes, and monkeys all share common ancestry.

--James

P.S. Although, I'll grant you, were I either an ape or a monkey, I might find the idea of common ancestry with mankind particularly revolting, all things considered. :wink:
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think that one about Tarzan is really good. It's hard to imagine him with a beard, but explaning his hairless face is even harder. And to think I never gave it a moment's thought, I just accepted what the movies told me.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

:D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

HampshireWhistler wrote:Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough money?
That has always been my gripe with my bank. The other week, I got charged a $34 fee for being overdrawn by 4 cents. On top of that, I had to make a $34.04 deposit to avoid getting charged $5 per day for being overdrawn. If overdrawn more than a few days, they begin charging $10 a day...
Denny

Post by Denny »

none of the three... :twisted: :wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

HampshireWhistler wrote:Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?
Do we really know that they're sterilized? I mean, since they're murdering the person anyway, it's not like she's going to get an infection from an unsterilized needle, so we'd never know if it were not sterilized...
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Cranberry wrote:
HampshireWhistler wrote:Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?
Do we really know that they're sterilized? I mean, since they're murdering the person anyway, it's not like she's going to get an infection from an unsterilized needle, so we'd never know if it were not sterilized...
George Carlin had a similar joke commenting that, before administering a lethal injection, they swab the inmates arm with alcohol. They wouldn't want them to get an infection AND be dead.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

HampshireWhistler wrote: Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are

always white?
I hope all of these questions can be answered so that you may Email back your mother.

This is my contribution.

Soon...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

Cberry wrote:since they're murdering the person anyway
Its not murder when they want to go. I was just reading how a poll of terminally ill people were 62% in favour of assisted suicide. If you are going to inject comments such as "murder" perhaps you should save them for the poli-board.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:
Cberry wrote:since they're murdering the person anyway
Its not murder when they want to go. I was just reading how a poll of terminally ill people were 62% in favour of assisted suicide. If you are going to inject comments such as "murder" perhaps you should save them for the poli-board.

djm
Any talk of the death penalty at all should probably go there. I didn't bring it up.
djm

Post by djm »

Cberry wrote:I didn't bring it up.
I'm afraid you did. The original joke did not pass judgement on the action with political assertions of "murder", only pointed out some actions ridiculous in their redundancy. There's no sense trying to get snide about it. That's what the "other" forum is for.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Steamwalker wrote:
HampshireWhistler wrote:Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough money?
That has always been my gripe with my bank. The other week, I got charged a $34 fee for being overdrawn by 4 cents. On top of that, I had to make a $34.04 deposit to avoid getting charged $5 per day for being overdrawn. If overdrawn more than a few days, they begin charging $10 a day...
I worked for one of the largest banks in the USA for eight years. Having to charge poor people exoribitant fees was something that I felt badly about having to do. If you take the time to read and understand the fine print on the legal documents that you have to sign in order to open a checking, savings, or credit card account, you will soon find out that the banking industry is not nearly as friendly as they make themselves out to be in their advertisements. In fact they may be downright ruthless in the application of their fees, which, by the way, only the poor people have to pay. If you have sufficient funds on deposit with the bank, the fees are either not applicable or are waved. The truth is that the fees that the bank charges are a major souce of income for the bank and create more customer service complaints to the Better Business Bureau than nearly any other industry.
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Steamwalker wrote:
I worked for one of the largest banks in the USA for eight years. Having to charge poor people exoribitant fees was something that I felt badly about having to do. If you take the time to read and understand the fine print on the legal documents that you have to sign in order to open a checking, savings, or credit card account, you will soon find out that the banking industry is not nearly as friendly as they make themselves out to be in their advertisements. In fact they may be downright ruthless in the application of their fees, which, by the way, only the poor people have to pay. If you have sufficient funds on deposit with the bank, the fees are either not applicable or are waved. The truth is that the fees that the bank charges are a major souce of income for the bank and create more customer service complaints to the Better Business Bureau than nearly any other industry.
I'm not a bit surprised. I think it was Andrew Jackson who said something about a room full of bankers being more dangerous than a standing army.
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton