Whistles with good upper ranges

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles with good upper ranges

Post by pastorkeith »

Is it folk's experience that certain D whistles play better in the upper range (B, C, third D) than others or is it merely a function of experience/skill? If certain whistles do, could folks make some suggestions?
Thanks and Blessings
pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

Some of my whistles seem to play up there better than others. My Sweetheart Pro D is great up there and depending on where I set the tuning slide, my O'Brien Rover is good up there too. My bamboo whistle can hardly make those notes and most of my cheapies are just too shrill up there. If I need to play higher notes like that I sometimes just reach for a higher key whistle like an Eb, F, or G Generation.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Experience does have a lot to do with it, but it's by no means the only issue. A professionally tweaked cheapie (Feadog would be my recommendation) will get you to high D without screechiness or scratchiness. It WILL be loud though. I can get to third octave D "safely" on my home tweaked Generation and Feadog.
Short bio: 1952-
dapple

Post by dapple »

Burke narrow bore aluminum D does well.
~ David
BEC

Post by BEC »

My Dixon aluminum bodied D (DX002) has by far the easiest response up to that top D (and even the E above) of all the whistles I have. However, it's the version Tony Dixon no longer makes....
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

The Sweetheart Pro D sure looks like a, dare I say it, a recorder.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

The mezzo soprano D whistles that I own which can accomplish this feat are: a Copeland, Overton, Thin Weasel, and Sweetheart Pro. Others that can do it without cracking mirrors are my Generation Bb, Overton tenor D, Copeland alto A, and Copeland low F.

Breath control is an important asset.
Bill Hennessy

Post by Bill Hennessy »

It's good to see that others have this problem! I've found that my Dixon Trad D goes to the upper range really well, and sounds wonderful. I have a Sweetone C that can play in that range pretty well, too. I've just started working with a Gen Bb, but it sounds pretty good in the upper register. But if I work at it and really control my breath, most of my cheapies can do pretty well. Mostly I try to stay away from much music that requires it.

Peace,
Bill
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

sbhikes wrote:The Sweetheart Pro D sure looks like a, dare I say it, a recorder.
i like it -its something new---------------it carries a tune well into the third octave(if needed)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Burkes are great for high notes, as well as all other notes.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

cavefish wrote:
sbhikes wrote:The Sweetheart Pro D sure looks like a, dare I say it, a recorder.
i like it -its something new---------------it carries a tune well into the third octave(if needed)
For me, form follows function. Put a recorder side by side with a Pro D and I believe you will see a difference; play them side by side and the difference is clear.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Most of the whistles I have play easily well into the third octave (excludes the Bleazey I no longer have). I think experience helps as you have to learn to play third octave notes much shorter to keep them sweet.

My favourite whistles for very high playing are the aluminium Burkes.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

My Seery Delrin Whistle is smooth all the way up. Also Lon Dubh. At least the ones from 2005-2006. I haven't tried the newer ones but I bet they are just about the same.

If you're handy, you could cut the blade out of a susato and replace it wit a chunk of guitar pick. This makes for a nice smooth whistle all the way up too... Much quieter than a regular susato... more like a dixon but without the intonation issues.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.