London 2012 Olympic Logo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

London 2012 Olympic Logo

Post by Martin Milner »

Oh Dear.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

you mean, you're not proud of this :lol: ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

As someone pointed out elsewhere it looks like Lisa Simpson giving Bart some, er, special attention.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

chrisoff wrote:As someone pointed out elsewhere it looks like Lisa Simpson giving Bart some, er, special attention.
Ow GAWD, I'll never watch TV again..!!!!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Is this not a direct copy of the 1906 San Francisco Olympics logo showing the city's skyline after the quake?
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I don't get why they couldn't keep the candidate city logo. That one was a thousand times better.

I was reading earlier that there are petitions going around like crazy to get rid of it .
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

It's disgusting. I don't understand how that can pass for good today. I could maybe understand in the early 90's, most things were hideous like that. Seriously.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

One sportsperson (could be one of either sex these days) kneeing the other in the groin. Pretty much reflects the competitive ethos as practised in professional sport - which includes the Olympics, which I mercifully won't be @r§€d to watch as nobody Irish has a hope in hell of doing well in them.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

There was an online petition to get it scrapped, whih was closed after 3 days when it was (apparently) clear that the thing is here to stay. There were nearly 50,000 signatures in that time.

I think the shape is hideous, the colours are hideous, so bright they make my eyes water, I have no idea way london is spelt with a small "l" and I will never buy anything with this brand on it. Seb Coe says this is "Everyone's Olympics" - so far everyone's united in their disgust at this logo, which btw cost the paying public $800,000.

However the Olympic Committee have covered their arses by saying the design will evolve over the next 5 years. Let's hope it evolves into something completely different.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

The best bit about this logo is that it apparently causes epileptic siezures in some people who view it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 943486.htm

I don't know about you lot in the UK, but here in America it's a rare thing for a product paid for with taxpayer dollars to actually deliver MORE than promised. Methinks you should be counting your blessings with this, not complaining.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Martin Milner wrote:There was an online petition to get it scrapped, whih was closed after 3 days when it was (apparently) clear that the thing is here to stay. There were nearly 50,000 signatures in that time.

I think the shape is hideous, the colours are hideous, so bright they make my eyes water, I have no idea way london is spelt with a small "l" and I will never buy anything with this brand on it. Seb Coe says this is "Everyone's Olympics" - so far everyone's united in their disgust at this logo, which btw cost the paying public $800,000.

However the Olympic Committee have covered their arses by saying the design will evolve over the next 5 years. Let's hope it evolves into something completely different.
I think the logo is unfortunate, myself. It speaks of chaos. That, and Bart and Lisa Simpson.

But a thought: is the design supposed to bring to mind the principal districts of London?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Nanohedron wrote: But a thought: is the design supposed to bring to mind the principal districts of London?
I think it's supposed to be the home nations. Clockwise from top left: Scotland,Wales, Ireland, England
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chrisoff wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: But a thought: is the design supposed to bring to mind the principal districts of London?
I think it's supposed to be the home nations. Clockwise from top left: Scotland,Wales, Ireland, England
That doesn't exactly work so well either, does it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

From what the news story said, it's supposed to be then year 20 12 done up in a horribly ugly way. Well, they didn't say it was ugly, but my kids could probably make something better than that.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh, if it is 2012, which I can sort of see, I don't think it was very successful if people were actually supposed to get that. I don't seem to mind it as much as the other folks. Knowing what the shapes mean helps me to organize it in my head.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca