So . . . does playing music make you smarter?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

I thought this would lead to a good exchange of opinions.

After having several months sabbatical from work, I recently went into a new job. Lots of information, lots of learning . . . but on the whole, I'm handling it pretty well. The first two weeks seemed to fly by as I gained quite a bit of information(as for this last week, with the TWC loss, who could not be distracted from learning?).
I compared this to a previous job, in which I seemed to struggle with almost every aspect of memory. I'm pleased that things are falling into place better . . . even if my short term memory is shaky and I'm prone to have problems organizing. I can't really understand why there would be any different between this job and my previous, except this one is harder, cognitive-wise.
One difference may be that I played and learned a lot of music while I was off from work(ahh, bliss). I learned new pieces on the whistle, slowed stuff down, crammed in as much as I could. I found I played much better, listened to music with a better ear, and when it came to a new job, that didn't seem as hard, either.
I never learned a musical instrument until my mid twenties(whistle), and that's a pretty cool thing, too. I know I'm smarter in music . . . but has anyone else found playing an instrument has helped their thinking?
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Yse, you can be shur that it doz.

Erik

POST EDIT: I mean, 'haz.'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-09-16 17:04 ]</font>
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Thanks, Eric. Obviously, playing the whistle isn't helping my SPELLING, because I meant *WTC*, not TWC . . . talk about being a dim bulb . . .
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Actually, I wasn't even referencing that. I was just being funny with my own propensity to bad spelling :smile:

Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-09-17 03:17 ]</font>
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

I've been a musician for so long I cant remember...what was the question? :wink: Mike
nickb

Post by nickb »

Playing music really does make you smarter. Absolutely. No question. Unless you're a drummer, of course. Or a banjo player. Although people who are very strong minded could play the bodhran without lowering their IQ.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

There is, as the smart ones amonst us already know, a strong mathematical element in music. Thinking logically and mathematically increases stimulation of the left brain hemisphere (or is it the right one?) which in turn, increases our capacity for logical thinking. Consquently, skills that require logical thinking - for example game playing and puzzle solving - also increases, exponentially.

The real question is though: do we have to be smart to be good at music or does being good at music make us smart. The answer is yes. Or is it 42?

Steve :smile:

p.s. Ireland said lots of prayers for the US on our national day of mourning, last Friday.
mgwhitehead

Post by mgwhitehead »

Steve, I think the answer to your chicken and egg question can be found in the example of the idiot savant. Clearly you don't have to be smart to make good music, as the unfortunate banjo player in "Deliverance" illustrates. I have also heard of idiot savants who can watch a train go by at 30 mph and tally all the boxcar serial numbers accurately in their head and state the total as the caboose passes.

Whitey
~. . . . . .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mgwhitehead on 2001-09-17 09:37 ]</font>
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Whitey and Steve,
Three problems...or four:

Trains no longer have cabooses because of cell phones...

Savants seldom use cell phones...

It's hard to drive, use a cell phone, play whistle, and count box cars at the same time...

...and expo-what!?

...and please don't pick on banjo players... five strung or other
Llhorian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Llhorian »

I think Steve hit a hole in one there :smile:
I also just read a research paper which concluded that piano players are better at math. They even found out that if a piano player stopped playing for a long time (8 months or longer I believe) he would get worse at mathematics again.

Don't know if it makes you smarter overall but at least you'll be better at mathematic problems :wink:
Music is like Shakespeare, you can read it and if you're good you can understand it, but you will not get the true feeling for it until you've seen and heard it.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

"Steve, I think the answer to your chicken and egg question can be found in the example of the idiot savant...unfortunate banjo player in "Deliverance" illustrates...Whitey"

Are you saying that playing music sucks the intelligence from the other parts of your brain and focuses it in one place? That's what my wife believes about me. My 16yr old son asked for help with his algebra the other day. Proofs. I was clueless. I always thought I wasn't that bad at math. When I told a friend of mine how much I have been practicing, he said I must have a lot of blood going to that part of my brain.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

MamaKash

Does playing music improve memory and learning on the job? Besides the relevant studies that music training and practice does improve logical and mathematic abilities, there are other factors, too.

Music isn't work. For most of us, if your playing music then your maintaining a life outside of work. This means your whole self-concept, social, and emotional health is not dependent only on your job. This balance allows you to relax at work, this reduces stress and improves performance. If your not carrying extra emotional burdens with each job task, then the energy you spend is dedicated to the job task and not all the extras. It's why work-aholics are not as efficient or effective as those who work less but work smarter.

The music also allows a outlet for all those anxieties, fears, angers, worries, and other feelings that you bring home from work. It's an outlet to express them without provoking negative consequenses. Play an anxious tune, play an angry tune, play a worried tune, and you're not dumping those things, you picked up from work, on your family. The music improves family life which improves their supportiveness of your occupational activity.

Getting the feelings out in a constructive manner also reduce stress related physical problem, for example exhaustion, sleeplessness, or stomach problems. This gives the player more energy to give to job and family.

BTW all this stuff is good to review with your significant others (wife, girl friend, parents, etc). It can come in handy when they find out you ordered an Overton Low-D, "look, hon, its cheeper than a months worth of ulcer medicine." (Trust me it is, been there, done that.)

Music makes you better all around, so go ahead and ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-09-17 13:41 ]</font>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

An interesting article from the Scientific American on music and the brain:

http://www.sciam.com/explorations/2001/012201music/

Also at end of article is a link to Perfect Pitch.

Music may make you smarter, read linked article:

http://www.brainplace.com/bp/music/default.asp

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2001-09-17 15:35 ]</font>