Like C & F, only greener, and dirtier

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

There are some serious punsters around here. Perhaps your dad could make up for his lack of interest in ITM (which isn't required in this forum, there is a special ITM forum) by trying to keep them confined to one thread :wink:.

I do not wish the armadillo ill,
but I could not cope with them wandering around the yard :boggle: :o :boggle: .

We'll be looking forward to meeting your dad. The more the merrier! :party:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

......And we have now segued back to gardening
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:I do not wish the armadillo ill,
I think they're cute li'l chaps. Besides, what fun to get them to curl up into a ball and roll them around for a minute!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cynth wrote:I do not wish the armadillo ill,
I think they're cute li'l chaps. Besides, what fun to get them to curl up into a ball and roll them around for a minute!
Oh dear. Just make sure the claws are well tucked in. I think they are very sharp and powerful.
wiki wrote:The North American Nine-banded Armadillo tends to jump straight in the air when surprised...
Great. The only thing scarier than an armadillo would be an armadillo that jumped straight up in the air. Believe me, I have no desire to surprise one. I can see us both jumping straight in the air and screaming. I couldn't live in the south, I really couldn't what with the alligators, snakes, and now, armadillos.

Edited to correct typo.
Last edited by Cynth on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Cynth wrote: I couldn't live in the south, I really couldn't what with the alligators, snakes, and now, armadillos.
Every week or so I get an envelope of newspaper clippings from my dad. He likes to send me articles about science, nature, and the special aspects of life in Florida. Giant boa constrictor found in someone's back yard. Fire ants. Armadillos. I'll pull one of those envelopes out of the mailbox, my son sees the handwriting and says "Look, it's more Alligator-eats-Poodle stories from Grampa Larry!"

:lol:

He sends me lots of articles about gardening too :wink:
He has some Habanero plants that have overwintered for several years and they have grown taller than he is. :o

Image[/quote]
Larry Fawber wrote:
to Janie -- Cross Country Nurseries
http://www.chileplants.com

I received the chile plants as ordered in April
2003 ... The photo below was taken June 25 2004, 13 months
after the new plants were put into the ground. Actually
the Pepper plants are now over 6 feet tall, but the
angle of the photo does not show that.

As you know, chile plants are perennials and will
grow for years if they don't have a killing frost.
I cut these back to about 4 ft. and thinned them out a
bit last "Winter". I was picking peppers again by
mid May "04".

The bad news is I will probably not be reordering
for a while as I expect these plants to grow and
produce for years.

The good news is I am spreading the word about
Cross Country Nurseries and the worlds greatest
collection of over 500 varities of peppers.

Best Regards -- Larry (Dr. Pepper) Fawber
djm

Post by djm »

I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo down to Abilene
With the friendliest people and the purdiest women
That you've ever seen

- London Homesick Blues: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_kbZ7ae2wfk
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:Whatever, Izz. :wink:
I'm hurt that you would say such a thing, Nano...truly hurt.

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote:He has some Habanero plants that have overwintered for several years and they have grown taller than he is. :o
Holy mackerel!! :o I have a son who would be thrilled to have 6ft tall Habanero plants. I haven't gotten my garden in yet (and yes, I can hear the time ticking away....saying "the frost is coming...the frost is coming!!" since it's been known to come in late August), but said son has already requested to have his own area for hot peppers.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Caroluna wrote:
Cynth wrote: I couldn't live in the south, I really couldn't what with the alligators, snakes, and now, armadillos.
Every week or so I get an envelope of newspaper clippings from my dad. He likes to send me articles about science, nature, and the special aspects of life in Florida. Giant boa constrictor found in someone's back yard. Fire ants. Armadillos. I'll pull one of those envelopes out of the mailbox, my son sees the handwriting and says "Look, it's more Alligator-eats-Poodle stories from Grampa Larry!"....
I insist that Grampa Larry start posting in this forum!!!! He will find a very appreciative audience here. I was told once by someone from the south that if an alligator is chasing you, you should run in small circles and that way he can't get you. But how small? How fast do you have to run? There wouldn't be time for experimentation. I have many questions and concerns.:lol:
djm

Post by djm »

I think Dr. Pepper cuz I'm dour
I'm part of a miserable shower
I'm a pauper
He's a pauper
She's a pauper
We're a pauper ......

No, wait. That's not right ..... :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cynth wrote:Image
I lived in Texas for four years and never saw a live armadillo. I probably saw at least 100 of 'em dead on the road, though. Possum on the half-shell.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

izzarina wrote:
Caroluna wrote:I'm trying to make a segue here from the kitten thing, back to gardening.
You know, Carol....in case you hadn't noticed here on the Chiff, keeping on topic is not an easy task. There are those that seem to enjoy careening an entire thread into the depths of hijackdom. And they do a good job of it. I, of course, wouldn't dream of ever hijacking a thread...I always stay on topic

;)
Yeah! Those kind of people should be banninated!!!!

I didn't know there were armadillos in Florida and that's a strawberry. You can't fool me for long.

BTW I used to catch armadillos when I was out west Texas way. Then I'd let them go because there's really no use for a caught armadillo.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The hotter the pepper, the less I'm annoyed. :D

I prefer habaneros, fresh off the stem. :D
So, Joseph, have you ever eaten a whole habanero off the stem? If so, there' a Central-American word for you: chilero.

When I found this out, I decided to become a chilero. A friend had given me a hab plant, but I lived in a basement apartment, so it didn't get much light. It made a few blossoms, but alas, only one pepper. So in the fall I picked this pepper and decided to eat the whole thing. I'd heard legends of habaneros, so I was equipped -- bread, beer, cheese, yogurt, probably some other stuff. I took a small bite from the end. Nothing, I figured the poor plant didn't get enough sun to make any capsaisin. Evidently I didn't get any seeds or ribs. I bit off the rest, and after a couple of seconds, so far, so good. Then WHAM! This little plant must have put every single bit of whatever it had into that one little pepper. I ate bread, cheese, yogurt, downed half a beer, nothing did anything. I got an ice cube out of the freezer, and that helped. But my lips burned. So I wound up standing over the sink with an ice cube in my mouth, taking sips of water and slowly letting them out so the ice water would cool my lips. I'm not a religious person, but if one can see God, I saw God that day.

I'm much more of a wimp now when it comes to chiles, but I can eat a grocery-store hab without much trouble. Great thing about habs is they don't burn on the way out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Caroluna's Dad wrote:

I cut these back to about 4 ft. and thinned them out a
bit last "Winter".

:really:

Cynth, armadillos are darling animals! We have them at the hospital where I work. They're really quite adorable and totally harmless. All that jumping up is to get away from predators! They're usually sedate and charming creatures.

Ours are so accustomed to people they come out to forage on overcast days and in the shade of oak trees.

Look how cute these baby 'dillos are:

The UFlorida website says they're edible if prepared properly, but for the life of me I can't figure out how you would start.
Cotelette d'Agneau
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

chas wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:The hotter the pepper, the less I'm annoyed. :D

I prefer habaneros, fresh off the stem. :D
So, Joseph, have you ever eaten a whole habanero off the stem? If so, there' a Central-American word for you: chilero.
I have eaten a habanero right off the stem. I believe it is the only time in my life when I have actually invoked the deities and said "Sweet Mary, mother of god" out loud. I got clairvoyant. I was much younger then, and I don't know if I could bring myself to do it again without either money or women being at stake.

Now, I much prefer to cut them in half, remove the seeds and spread a big spoonful of peanut butter on the inside. Peanut butter and hot peppers are right tasty, and in the case of a habaneros, the peanut butter acts kind of like a salve. You can use jalapenos for your sissy friends.

I was placed on double-secret habanero probation a few years back when mrs. gonzo came home one night while I was roasting them. The boys were in their playpen going "Gack . . . gack," so I don't get to roast habaneros at home any more.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow