Sindt Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mermaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sindt Whistles

Post by Mermaid »

I am seriously thinking of obtaining one of John Sindt whistles. Hopefully a Bb. Has anyone recently purchased a whistle from him lately? I have read some threads that says there is a waiting list but the threads were old.
Can anyone update me on this? I emailed him but was not sure the address was current.

Thanks,
Paulette
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I beleive the wait is 6 months.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I believe that Sindtwhistle@aol.com is the correct current email contact.

His wait time is usually between 5-6 months for a D. I'm not sure if it changes for less common keys.
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

I just got an email from him for a Hi D whistle....."Cost $105 + $8 for shipping.I'm about 4 months behind on delivery"
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

By the way, in case you were wondering, they ARE worth the wait IMO. :D
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

So I guess that means that no one would be willing to part with one. :lol:

Gosh!

Paulette
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Possible, but not likely :)
I was looking for a used Sindt A a couple weeks back and didn't even get one response! They are good whistles indeed.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

As of May 8, he is 5 monthes behind schedule on deliveries. I ordered a Bb whistle, too.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Sindt is one whistle i have heard nothing but good from, never and bad, but unfortunately have never played one. i gotta get my hands on it. soon ill be scratchin my neck and bobbing back and forth with cold sweats and shakes.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
blackhawk

Re: Sindt Whistles

Post by blackhawk »

Mermaid wrote:I am seriously thinking of obtaining one of John Sindt whistles. Hopefully a Bb. Has anyone recently purchased a whistle from him lately? I have read some threads that says there is a waiting list but the threads were old.
Can anyone update me on this? I emailed him but was not sure the address was current.

Thanks,
Paulette
I have one, Paulette. PM me if you're interested. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Whistle Collector wrote:Sindt is one whistle i have heard nothing but good from, never and bad, but unfortunately have never played one. i gotta get my hands on it. soon ill be scratchin my neck and bobbing back and forth with cold sweats and shakes.
OK, I'll say something bad. I have a reaction to the brass
mouthpiece. Most unpleasant. He makes delrin heads, by the way, which
seem to sound as good. Also the Bb and A whistles
aren't universally liked. The design arguably works
better for D. Also the D does best with the C natural
half holed. It's designed that way.
That takes some practice, of course.

Feeling better? Hope so.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

Thanks for your post jim stone. For saying something bad, it wasn't all that bad. That too bad you get a reaction from Brass, that is a really bad allergy to have as a whistler.

I wanted to post something about my Sindt whistle collection. Sindt whistles are my whistle of choice. All of my whistles in thier various keys by Sindt are very well made and quite remarkable. They play easily between octaves and the notes are pure and sweet. I am particuliarly fond of my A, despite universal acceptance of the A & Bb Sindt whistles. I think they are the finest whistles available.

The beauty of Tinwhistle is that most instruments are affordable and Sindt is still a great value.

Happy Whistling!
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

jim stone wrote:
Also the D does best with the C natural
half holed. It's designed that way.
That takes some practice, of course.
FWIW, I have a Sindt, as does another player in our local session. I agree about the C. The other fellow has had a thumbhole drilled for his C, and it was a very good solution. I asked John Sindt if he would drill a thumbhole for me when I ordered my whistle, but he declined. So I'm thinking of doing the same to mine, but I have to get my nerve up a llttle more first. If I ever do it, I'll report to you all on the newsgroup.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have had a Sindt D for a few years. When I bought it the wait was 9 months and the price $95. I could never master the half holing so I replaced the Sindt tube with a Feadog tube. (Search the list for the original instructions by our compadre, Bloomfield) The Feadog tube is a wee bit larger that the Sindt tube so you need to sand off the excess. I love my Sindt-dog. It still sounds like a Sindt because the head is where the magic is, but I like being able to cross finger the C nat.
Mike
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

John S makes a wonderful silver whistle in D.
It has a delrin head. It sounds great, looks great,
is a steal at the price, and the C nat crossfingers OK.