ARIZONA--question for the C&F Oracle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I can say only that I really liked living in Tucson.
I don't know where these other places are, but
if commuting is an option, it might be worth considering.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Knowing when to stay and when to move with regard to living in any area (New Orleans, desert Southwest, etc.) the lyrics to The Gambler, as sung by Kenny Rogers came to mind. I took the old guy's advice and decided to walk away.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Thu May 31, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

If commuting is not an issue, she can always stay with me here in CA.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I found Tucson to be an exciting place to visit, but physically a pretty ugly and randomly developed town. It just sprawls, and, being from California, I know sprawl when I see it.

. The mountains around though, have the beautiful deserts. The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is one of the finest botanical gardens I could ever imagine. Wildlife, too. The walkthrough hummingbird aviary was very memorable.

We hung around the college scene streets at night, and it was a touch of Telegraph Ave.

I plan on visiting again. I like it there.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Tony and I considered Arizona when we moved back West from NC years ago (actually, Arizona -- the Phoenix area -- was the front-runner, as we never really believed we'd find work in the Santa Cruz area, and we both love the desert). What amazed me was how many people had green lawns and Eastern-style landscaping. Can you imagine...in a desert climate, in the middle of a drought? No wonder they have water problems. I vowed then and there that, if I ever did live in Arizona, I would have only desert landscaping.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm

Post by djm »

Born in Babylonia
Moved to Arizonia
King Tut

- Steve Martin

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Also an Arizona native here.

Yup Arizona has hills.. Although I'd say more mountains then "hills". We have quite a few mountain ranges that get up and over 9,000 feet, and I'll tell you what, they're a paradise in the summertime when it's 115 on the desert floor and only 75 or even cooler at the top. For example Mt. Graham near Safford, you go from about 3,000 feet, up to almost 10,000 feet in a matter of minutes, it's interesting to see the changes in vegetation as you go from desert to high forest in such a short drive.

If it were me, I would go with Casa Grande. It's close to the big city of Phoenix, and for me that's comfort knowing that I am. But make sure your air conditioning works... I've never been to Sonoita, but it doesn't look like there's a whole lot to do down there, unless that's your style then go for it. I don't think there's much to do in Casa Grande of the times I've driven through there on the way to Tucson. Another plus looks like the town's (sonoita) elevation of nearly 5,000 ft. That'll help out nicely in the summertime that's for sure.
Last edited by Key_of_D on Thu May 31, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

What I hate most about the greater Phoenix area is that it was developed horribly. Everything is spread out miles apart and for no apparent reason. There are grocery stores and gas stations everywhere but if I want to go to a library, community center or record store I usually have a 30 minute drive at the very least. Not only that but since there is so much concrete here from this random development, it holds the heat in all night so during the middle of the summer it won't go below 85 to 90 degrees all night. It's very depressing to get up for work at 4:30 in the morning and be sweating on the way to the car!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Thanks. Y'all rock.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Redwolf wrote:Tony and I considered Arizona when we moved back West from NC years ago (actually, Arizona -- the Phoenix area -- was the front-runner, as we never really believed we'd find work in the Santa Cruz area, and we both love the desert). What amazed me was how many people had green lawns and Eastern-style landscaping. Can you imagine...in a desert climate, in the middle of a drought? No wonder they have water problems. I vowed then and there that, if I ever did live in Arizona, I would have only desert landscaping.

Redwolf
It is a big problem... just fly ove Phoenix once and you'll be ready to vomit! More pools per capita than anywhere else, I'd wager, and in a desert, that is not just insane, it's immoral... add the lawns, and there is no surprise that the allergy sufferers are up against it.

I love the place, but 'fI were king, it would sure be different!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Stockton has greenery??
erinmck

Post by erinmck »

to begin, thank you Dale fot helpng me get some feedback on these towns. i've accepted a position at casa grande. from thsoe i spoke with, casa grande, in comparison to sonoita, has got "more" going on. i enjoyed reading all the comments posted, especially those regarding the existence of "hills". thank you all.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

erinmck wrote:to begin, thank you Dale fot helpng me get some feedback on these towns. i've accepted a position at casa grande. from thsoe i spoke with, casa grande, in comparison to sonoita, has got "more" going on. i enjoyed reading all the comments posted, especially those regarding the existence of "hills". thank you all.
Erin, I think you will be surprised at how green the place is when it goes through it's lush phase... deserts are wonderful spots as long as you aren't stuck.

Good luck with your new job and home, and may you find a lot of pleasant surprises out there.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

anniemcu wrote:It is a big problem... just fly ove Phoenix once and you'll be ready to vomit! More pools per capita than anywhere else, I'd wager...
This photo is from a flight into Phoenix in April 2004. I count 36 pools in this shot, and would be easily surpassed in pool-count by some of the other areas that I saw while landing.

emmline

Post by emmline »

Seeing pools in flyovers seems common to most parts of the country in my (limited) experience. Plus, there would seem to be a certain logic in people in hot, dry climates wanting pools...but even so, I'm sure I've seen more in other, non-desert, locales.
The landscape thing though is nuts, I agree.
My folks have a modest cottage in Nags Head, NC, on the beach, and it's ridiculous when people (including the cottage next door) attempt to maintain a "lawn" complete with automatic sprinklers and grass, as opposed to native, dune and wildlife friendly shrubs and flowers. To make it even stupider, the lawns grow prickly things which grow so low to the ground that the mower doesn't hit them, but your feet do if you try to walk across.