underwater whistling.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

underwater whistling.

Post by flanum »

Just curious, has anybody tried it? would all the bubbles come out of the fipple or would some come out of the finger-holes or the end?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

I think you need a blow hole to do it properly.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

well... seeing how my bellows powered whistle went over like a lead balloon, may as well try to mount a whistle with a snorkel. (I smell photoshop opportunities...) :boggle:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i've spent some time whistling in my pool but never tried to whistle completely underwater. i'll let you know in about a month or so. when whistling partially underwater, you have to keep the holes dry, if they get a water film, it's the same as the hole being covered. i've played my flute with the open end underwater, i can make some half decent whale sounds by changing the depth of the flute. an expert could probably play a song that way but not me.

gosh, i love summer.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Years ago in one of the Chiff newsletters there was a great photo of someone scuba diving in a Chiff and Fipple t-shirt, holding a whistle. I have no idea who it was, though...
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'd like to see what happens if you play the whistle in lower or higher pressure environments (i.e. International Space Station), also in helium/oxygen mixes...
Brian Boru

Post by Brian Boru »

eskin wrote:I'd like to see what happens if you play the whistle in lower or higher pressure environments (i.e. International Space Station), also in helium/oxygen mixes...
With a high G whistle on helium you might be able to echo-locate...
If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton. You may as well make it dance.
- George Bernard Shaw
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

eskin wrote:I'd like to see what happens if you play the whistle in lower or higher pressure environments (i.e. International Space Station), also in helium/oxygen mixes...
That would be interesting...

I have heard that you can't whistle with your lips in a hyperberic chamber but would love to try. With a regular whistle as well.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

walrii

Post by walrii »

eskin wrote:I'd like to see what happens if you play the whistle in lower or higher pressure environments (i.e. International Space Station)
Oooooh, that would be a waaaaay cool entry to Clips and Snips. If anyone can get a whistle into space, "The Undisputed" should be able to swing it. How about it, Dale?

Edited to add: a quick google turned a number of hits on musical instruments in space. Here is a link to an official NASA site:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/04sep_music.htm
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think a whistle in space would only be manageable if all of the astronauts liked the sound...there'd be noplace to escape the high notes!
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Re: underwater whistling.

Post by Carey »

flanum wrote:Just curious, has anybody tried it? would all the bubbles come out of the fipple or would some come out of the finger-holes or the end?
Someone has now tried it and made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jko-v4t__JU

The bubbles come out whichever part us up-hill. If you point the whistle down all the bubbles come out the window. There is a slight shreeking or whistling sound that accompanies the bubble sound, but it's mostly bubble sound. The camera didn't record the whistle as well as I heard it. The cameraman also reported hearing some warbling in addition to bubbles.

I had to blow wicked hard to make that little sound and a lung of air didn't last long at all.

No, the sound isn't trapped in the bubbles to escape when they burst on the surface.

By the way, water drops in the whistle make for really odd sounds in the air too, until you shake them out. I think it was water stuck to the fipple that did the most.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Dex

Post by Dex »

Hmm, I think it might work better if an SI model tried it. Dale, can you make that happen?
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

I've got the pool and some whistles, just send the model over! :twisted:
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Jetboy

Re: underwater whistling.

Post by Jetboy »

flanum wrote:Just curious, has anybody tried it? would all the bubbles come out of the fipple or would some come out of the finger-holes or the end?
ummmm.... Why? :-?
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

hmmmm ...

Has anyone tried playing a whistle in free-fall after jumping out of an aeroplane?

Would the wind blow the notes-out or would you be able to shield the whistle with your body?

And if you just held the whistle pointing down, would it play from the air rushing in?

At what altitude would people on the ground be able to hear the whistle being played?

Would the notes become progressively flatter as the altitude decreased?

Would the goat try to eat the parachute?

Should we start a book about whistle world records? ... Hmmm, Guiness ... now there's an idea ;)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com