Internet angels

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Why not have both sites up and running? A good thing, I'd think. Everyone accessing a variety of sites stands the chance to compare, contrast, and learn.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

For the record I have no interest at all in posting videoclips of myself or actively putting up a website myself forward as an example of whistle playing. I would find it highly embarrassing. There are far better qualified players to take as an example.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

There is a more appropriate thread now extant in the Pub for such discussion that will not continue to distract/detract from the initial point of this one. Please be courteous enough to take it over there.

Is there a role for the amateur session enthusiast? - http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=50696
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

pkev wrote:...If I were to acknowledge individuals who deserve recocgnition within this community for their ethos, contribution and effort it would be someone such as Tony Higgins. His endeavours with the Clips and Snips site and the amount of clips he has personally recorded is really worth mentioning. In my view, his work is a true labour of love for trad music that seeks no financial reward. ...
I missed this earlier. Indeed, Tony is an Angel! (passes Tony a protective vest, just in case)
anniemcu
---
---
---
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Starting fresh at Annie's above post:

I am not in the habit of calling people angels or heroes or putting them on any sort of pedestal but I have no problem in recognizing what many of the previously mentioned folks (and many more) have done via the internet to share their experiences or expertise with the rest of the world wide web. I have no problem standing in humility and thanking you for the sacrifices and effort that go into every hosted website, hand-made whistle, recorded tune or forum post.

Thank you, all of you.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

anniemcu wrote: I missed this earlier. Indeed, Tony is an Angel! (passes Tony a protective vest, just in case)
I hope you can see why some of us would see the difference between Tony and other folks we seem to criticize. I, too, have great respect for Tony's work, and I would qualify him as an angel, if he were not american. :D
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

On the original subject, I have exclaimed many times to other people, "What did we do before the Internet?"

Anything you want to know, you look it up in the comfort of your own home, and you find tons of info about it. The library never had so much information.

I wanted to learn how to be a web developer so I didn't have to work with schizophrenics anymore and voila! A few years later with help from the Internet I can earn a decent living in a software company.

I was given an iPod full of Irish music. What's this music? It's fabulous! A little bit of searching on the Internet and I find that a cheap $10 whistle is making that beautiful sound and that maybe even I could learn to play this music. Heck, I can listen to radio directly from Dublin all day long, too, thanks to the Internet. (I also learned a very expensive wooden flute was making that other beautiful sound and if I want to do that I'm not going to be able to buy a student flute down at the music store, but I would never have known this if I didn't have the Internet to tell me!)

The Internet is amazing. It's taking longer and longer these days to sift through the shopping sites to get to the informative ones. But it's still possible. I hope people continue to share out of their joy and love of their subject matter and it doesn't all get turned into shop for this, shop for that. I hate shopping.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Azalin wrote:
anniemcu wrote: I missed this earlier. Indeed, Tony is an Angel! (passes Tony a protective vest, just in case)
I hope you can see why some of us would see the difference between Tony and other folks we seem to criticize. I, too, have great respect for Tony's work, and I would qualify him as an angel, if he were not american. :D
(annie nonchelantly hands Az a pair of shin guards, and gives him a moment to securely fasten them before she takes off after him with a hockey stick)
:D
(annie also notes that neither she nor Az has wings or a halo... well... she has a halo, but it spit some years back, slid down around her ears, and is most often mistaken for horns these days... but I digress)
anniemcu
---
---
---
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

anniemcu wrote: (annie nonchelantly hands Az a pair of shin guards, and gives him a moment to securely fasten them before she takes off after him with a hockey stick)
:D
(annie also notes that neither she nor Az has wings or a halo... well... she has a halo, but it spit some years back, slid down around her ears, and is most often mistaken for horns these days... but I digress)
:love:
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Wow, I had to use notepad to read that, Annie. :)
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there again,

Just a thought, but if I could use the following analogy to explain my viewpoint just a wee bit further. I think it is worth remembering that the `traditional music`wheel has been turning round for a few hundred years and will no doubt continue at whatever rate.

I see the `tyre`part as the music that actually touches the ground. I see the spokes that support the tyre as the musicians who contribute through resources as C&F Clips & Whistle this and other private & commercial enterprises.

In my view, the spokes can become so rigid that it makes it difficult for the tyres to turn round effectively.

One spoke may support `ITM`, another `STM` another just `TM`
Another spoke may support advanced players, another beginners or `noobies`. You could insert one for trad instruments, and non trad instruments, the choice is endless.

It might perhaps be more beneficial If beginners were to focus more on actually making music and touching the ground instead of hanging on to the spokes and whoever is supporting them. This would help the wheel turn round more freely I think.

There again it might also help if some of the tensioners on the `ITM` spoke were to apply some oil that would free themselves up to work with the rest of the spokes especially here at C&F in order to keep the wheel turning.

pkev
eskin

Post by eskin »

Nice analogy, pkev, thanks for that.
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there,

No problem Michael, I hoped this would help to alleviate some tension so
maybe we can move on.

Cheers & Thanks
pkev
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

pkev wrote:Hi there again,

Just a thought, but if I could use the following analogy to explain my viewpoint just a wee bit further. I think it is worth remembering that the `traditional music`wheel has been turning round for a few hundred years and will no doubt continue at whatever rate.

I see the `tyre`part as the music that actually touches the ground. I see the spokes that support the tyre as the musicians who contribute through resources as C&F Clips & Whistle this and other private & commercial enterprises.

In my view, the spokes can become so rigid that it makes it difficult for the tyres to turn round effectively.

One spoke may support `ITM`, another `STM` another just `TM`
Another spoke may support advanced players, another beginners or `noobies`. You could insert one for trad instruments, and non trad instruments, the choice is endless.

It might perhaps be more beneficial If beginners were to focus more on actually making music and touching the ground instead of hanging on to the spokes and whoever is supporting them. This would help the wheel turn round more freely I think.

There again it might also help if some of the tensioners on the `ITM` spoke were to apply some oil that would free themselves up to work with the rest of the spokes especially here at C&F in order to keep the wheel turning.

pkev
Now *that* I can get behind. :)
anniemcu
---
---
---
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I hope you can see why some of us would see the difference between Tony and other folks we seem to criticize. I, too, have great respect for Tony's work, and I would qualify him as an angel, if he were not american. big grin
Dang it. I almost managed to avoid posting to this thread.

Just for the record (nothing against Americans, you understand), but I'm not American (officially). I'm an Irish citizen, being born in Dublin. I carry a 'green card' and my mom has been hassling me for years to get on with it and get my American citizenship. Yes, I'm a procrastinator. I finally updated my green card this year after carrying around a card with a photo of an 8yr old on it. (Now, I have a beard.)

As for Clips&Snips (I've posted this a couple of times over the years), it's a 'show and tell' site. It started as a group project from C&F simply as a venue for us to share tunes with each other, good, bad, or indifferent. I"m the third person to take over the posting work. It was mainly brand new noobies when it started. Not competitive or teaching or demonstrating, or anything except sharing. I've maintained a policy of- if you have the guts to post your stuff, I'll post it (even if I think you're crazy). :lol: Hypothetically speaking, of course. :lol:

From my standpoint, it's strictly for fun. If you think it's an appropriate learning site for ITM, well, it's the internet. So sorry. Not.

Incidentally, the gatherings we've held with C&F members as a result of participating on this board have been great fun. Again, the musical quality goes from beginner to pretty decent, depending upon who shows up. I've seen a bit of teaching at the parties, no idea if it met any standards. Probably would have caused some alimentary puckering for some.

My own personal ambition is to achieve some level of trad playing, but I enjoy the company of people who aren't so committed to that. Same goes for participating on this board. If it's fun, I'll do it. If not, what's the point? By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed playing with Michael Eskin at Dana's a couple of months ago. (As well as the others who were present.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”