how long delays in learning a song?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AlonE
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

how long delays in learning a song?

Post by AlonE »

hours, day, weeks??? etc.

In the personnel I delay around 1 week to dominate it totally.

post please!!!

thanks all!!
Deathtrap
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Deathtrap »

i think it depends on how long you've been playing?
usually 2-3 weeks at least i'd say, i dont play everyday
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Probably about a week for me to totally get a tune too, but sometimes it takes longer if I have a lot on my mind at the time. College and learning tunes doesn't always fit well together. (What the next note?...it's not self-defeating behaviors...and it's not CSS).

-Casey
Life is good.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Some tunes slip into the mind easily - they are there from the off, and only need polishing. Others need a bit of effort to fix in the mind. Yet others need effort to fix in the mind and still more effort to get the fingers to do the necessary. (The Kid on the Mountain, for instance).
But the very very worst, is the tune you thought you had, and one day you find you are playing the B part of something else... Arg! Discord!

Précis: It varies. /Précis

If you have one tune to learn, and only one, then a week to get the bones of it into your head and fingers, unless it's a stinker of some kind.
If you suddenly find yourself surrounded by half-a-dozen tunes you want to learn, in two weeks' time you will know four of them and the other two will take a year, if not longer.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

In my experience it varies greatly. Some tunes can take short time but others need a lot of practice, especially the fastest tunes.

However, even if I can read music I prefer to learn tunes by ears. I've noticed that in this way it's easier to memorize them.
Sorry for my bad english...
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Any tune I can get into my head, I can learn pretty quickly. But some tunes will not go into my head. I seem to have an easier time with jigs than reels. Maybe my brain works in 6/8.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Does this mean that you spend 2 or 3 weeks just playing that one tune and nothing else, except maybe exercises of some kind?

Do you just play it over and over and over or do you try to slip something new into it each time, trying to work out your own interpretation?

Me I find I can learn a tune but then I forget how it goes once I learn another one. I feel like I have to keep starting over.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

To actually be in control of a tune often takes me months,
sometimes years, of practicing it. Some tunes
are simple and easy; others less so. There are tunes
I've played for years that I still don't have entirely.
I know the notes but I can't reliably play them.
Tia

Post by Tia »

It depends, if I get to know the song well, and start singing it all the time, and have nothing really to do,..like now, it takes about a week. It depends on the song too if I really like it, it will take less time
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

For some simple tunes, mainly slow airs, I can catch them down to less than one week, while for some other tunes (breton breeze, tamlin), I've been trying to play them decently for months now (back to october) with times off.

But what do you mean by learning a tune? When do you consider that you 'know' it?

I think it is a complex combination and it doesn't look like I'll be ever satisfied with my playing.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

FJohnSharp wrote:Any tune I can get into my head, I can learn pretty quickly. But some tunes will not go into my head. I seem to have an easier time with jigs than reels. Maybe my brain works in 6/8.

Though I must confess there is no tune that I dominate totally. Most tunes are still kicking my butt on a regular basis. Sometimes if they're sleeping I can sneak up on them and get in a couple of good licks.

All this is going to really mess with your translator. Sorry.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Wed May 30, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

To play along at session, I have to have heard it a few times, so
that I could hum along, then I can usually jump in and be playing
all the notes by the third time through. If I want to play it solo
with ornamentation, that's going to take me a couple weeks of
practice and analyzation.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I'll never be a member of Lunasa. I've been working on Devil In The Kitchen on and off for a couple of years. I only recently played it in public for the first time. Easy stuff takes me a couple of weeks, but there are tunes I've played in public for years that I'm still polishing up.
Answer: Forever!
Short bio: 1952-
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Somewere in the thread was a question of playing only the new tune or others as well. I find that I can only learn a certian amount at one go, and I HAVE to play something else and then come back to the new tune to make progress. Or put the whistle down altogether and pick it up again later - maybe only minutes or hours - then toot for a minute or two and then stop again. I find that as long as I'm playing correctly it's worth continuing. If I start goofing up a lot it's time to stop. No point learning the wrong things well.

Which brings up the technique of playing the tune VERY SLOWLY at first. Once I can play the right notes in the right order, then the speed and rythm come fairly easily.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

For me it depends on the tune. Some tunes take me weeks, or even months of practicing to really get a good grasp on, then some tunes are a piece of cake. Like today I finally sat down and learned two new slip jigs, Boys of Ballisodare, and Comb Your Hair and Curl It just within 30 minutes time. However, I also have really been listening to these tunes extensively for the past 2 months or so.