The downside of owning cats !!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The downside of owning cats !!

Post by Martin Milner »

rorybbellows wrote: But what they do eat is the birds they catch and today they caught one wren (the smallest bird in europe)
The Goldcrest is smaller. :)

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... /index.asp

We have a good population of Goldcrests in our local park, 5 minutes walk from my house, but they only really like conifers, so we don't see them in our garden. I usually hear them before I see them, and then stand still and watch closely to see these beautifully coloured but shy birds hopping from branch to branch.

We do get Blue Tits, Great Tits, Longtail Tits (very occasionally) and Wrens, all of which use our apple tree for cover and foraging.

And for those that remember, once we had ducks. :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

What about the fuzzy vommmmit?
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

Cranberry wrote:
CHasR wrote:SO many cats,
SO few recipies.

cat: the other white meat
Have you ever eaten cat?
let's keep it clean...this is a PG-17 site!!!! :P
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Have you ever eaten cat?
I know people who ate them during the winter of 1944. Said it was pretty good, tasted like rabbit, hence the nickname 'roof rabbit' that was widely used at that time and place.

djm

Post by djm »

If you've ever eaten at a Chinese restaurant, chances are you've already had cat. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

djm wrote:If you've ever eaten at a Chinese restaurant, chances are you've already had cat. :wink:

djm
Thus the Strawbs lyrics for "Back in the Old Routine"

"I drop in at the local for a pint and a chat
End up at the takeaway for Siamese cat"
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

djm wrote:If you've ever eaten at a Chinese restaurant, chances are you've already had cat. :wink:

djm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOY1Okg0RV4

Not for delicate sensibilities.

:twisted:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm

Post by djm »

An oldie but a goodie. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

I can see no downside except the loss felt when a dear one dies. Mine is curled up on my pipe bag down below on the old boat as I type. She is always trying to jump the big heron that lands on the stern rail early in the morning. She's 'bout the finest company I know.

and JOSEPH E, WHAT ABOUT THAT FUZZY VOMIT!
Might could write an uilleann rap tune starting with that line. :o
shy the blond water
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Got three cats at the moment. Two are downstairs and one is banished to the upstairs since she bloodied the ear of the smallest of the older littermates.

Useless as mousers, though. Generally they just demoralize the mouse until it's huddled up under the toilet (neither bathroom having a mouse-sized escape route).

The new hero in my life is a rat terrier, and aptly named he is! He's killed two mice in the house and would love to get his chops on the chipmunks who taunt him on our walk.

Marguerite
Gettysburg
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:What about the fuzzy vommmmit?
I've got three kids and three grandkids. I've had dogs and cats all my life. I drink quite a lot. Ergo, there aren't many kinds of vomit to which I am still particularly sensitive.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
lalit

Post by lalit »

The Cat Bib:

http://www.catgoods.com/

Killer cats could wear it by day, when the birds are out, and frolic sans bib by night, so as to have a go at the rats.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thanks for that link. I had no idea there was something that might help with birds. The bibs look pretty bad---they sort of destroy the dignity of the animal---but I am disturbed by bird-killing and my bells don't work. I just had to chase off a couple of cardinals who were being stalked by one of my kitties the other day. I might just give those a try. My cats would certainly be the first in their neighborhood to be wearing such fashionable attire :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
lalit

Post by lalit »

We bought one of these for our cat, but haven't tried it yet. For now, she has to live indoors full time. She's a former stray, high flight risk, and we live near a very busy street.

The advantage of the bibs, as far as I can tell, is that the cats can still carry on with their normal behavior, but the catching & killing is thwarted at the last minute.

And when you're laughing at your cats for their new fashions, just remember all the goofy apparel people subject their dogs to! :boggle:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yes, the article makes it sound as though the bibs don't inhibit anything other than the final pounce. I am a little worried about the bib keeping their collars from "breaking away" if they get caught on a branch, but I'm sure I can put the bib on so that the collar works properly. It sounds as though they could still climb, which is important in case they have to get away from a dog. They aren't very expensive, either.

I can certainly see why your cat can't go outside. Mine go out and I whistle for them every couple of hours and go looking if they don't come. Not completely safe, but so far no big problems other than bird catching. We don't have a lot of traffic, but all it takes is one car. They do kill mice and baby rabbits which is sad but good because there are no other predators. I guess if we noticed too many mice coming in we could take the bibs off for awhile.

There really is quite a movement among bird-lovers to keep cats indoors. I understand their concern and share it because I love birds as well. If cat owners can take the responsibility upon themselves to do something about the problem, then there is less likely to be a serious backlash against cats. There was a proposed leash law for cats in our town which did not pass, but many people are seriously unhappy with bird-catching behavior. When you consider the number of cats outdoors, two or three birds a month (about what my cats catch) adds up to many, many songbirds.

I'll have to show my cats a picture of what they could be wearing :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca