Moving on ... (low whistle) I dunno now...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caoimhin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caoimhin »

I guess I'm ready to move on to something better - I just don't feel like I would stand the Dixon Low D's polymer-ish sound. Not so much to my liking.

So, now I'm more or less narrowed down (the better thing to do) to the Howard Low D and the Kerry Low D (the one with plastic mouthpiece).

I've checked thru the past posts, and I know the Howard is a bit big.

I need a comparison. How much difficult is the Howard compared to the Dixon? (I have small hands). Measurements (hole size, stretch) is GREATLY appreciated.

For the Howard, what benefits/cons does the un-lacquered (just brass) version have?

(it's obvious I'm leaning towards Howard, but I HAVE to be open)

If anyone has any to sell, I might be interested (take note, I'm in Malaysia).

Thank you so much. Now, humbly or not, push me towards either whistle!

[Edited]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caoimhin on 2002-10-23 05:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caoimhin on 2002-10-24 13:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caoimhin on 2002-10-25 06:28 ]</font>
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I have a Howard low C, not a low D. I have no other C to compare it with. But I do have other low whistles in close keys, notably Copeland and Overton lows Ds, so that's some basis for comparison. I like the Howard and don't find the stretch on the C much worse than the stretch on the Overton D. Compared to the other two, the Howard is a bit flimsy but has a nice tone with a bit of chiff and it is reasonably strong on the low notes. I think it says something that I'm not in a rush to get a better low C; I'm quite happy with the Howard for the time being.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2002-10-23 06:29 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Don't know about Howards, which I never played but I can mention {i]my[/i] Kerry low D.
On the plus side : the tone is that of a low whistle, not rekorder or flûte. Lots of "metallic" overtones. It has very low breath requirements, and a quite strong back pressure. Volume is high--higher than with most other Low D's I tried (Alba, CG Overton... and Kerry Pro).
Finger spacing is wide, with quite big holes (especially middle oxo oxo), but this seem to help me for half-fingering.
What I can't get around is sorta buzz at bell note (1st octave D). Tightly taping the whistle end or better, banding it with bungie cord or bicycle tyre tube does help acoustically, hardly aesthetically.
One may call it chiff. The manufacturer checked it and says it's awright, like "they're all the same". To me, this bell note is surprising ; I'd say it honks. :???: With a G tune it's hardly a nuisance. And a very apt Irish flutist friend of mine likes it the way it is.
I guess it can be a good session whistle : stable with this plastic fipple (though it does clog at times) and loud.
All this said, I'm a beginner and dilettante so my opinion is worth only 2 x 2.5 ¢.

Er... This Low D is just back from manufacturer's 1000 miles inspection--just an oil change--and I'd be glad to sell it or swap it :smile:
Otherwise, I'd like to experiment with the tube, like trying a Howard fipple on it, or maybe even a sax/clarinette reed, to get a barytone chalumeau :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-10-23 07:51 ]</font>
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

The Howard low D has big fingerholes compared to Chieftain and Overton. From these three low D whistles I own, Howard only comes third in row. The Howard is also the most difficult in the higher register.
I never played a Kerry, but if you listen to some Phil hardy tracks, it sounds very nice.
psychih
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

ishh....budak nii :smile: lebih baik kalau beli flute. tak usah fikir banyak2 <i>(lubang besar, kecil, panjang, pendek)</i>....kan you ade saudara kat canberra?

~chih
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

I like the the Kerry alot, so much so I got rid of my other Low Ds (an Overton tunable, Kerry Pro and Howard). For sopranos I like cheap whistle that I can tweak and the Kerry is the only low D that is similar in design and somewhat cheap ($64 at The Whistle Shop but I brought used for as low as $40) that I feel comfortable with my tweaking experiments. Besides the above mentioned adding teflon tape to reduce the buzz I also dull the blade slightly and cut a 1/4 inch off the tube (on the mouthpiece end) to improve it's tuneability (as made, it can be tuned flat but not sharp).

Do not like the Howard much. It can have a very intersting tone but I find that the stretch is greater than the Kerry and it is difficult to go from high notes to low notes. I even tried a Howard mouthpiece on a Kerry body (with some extra teflon tape for a snug fit)and had similar results.

Joe
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Thanks for the sale help, Joe!

And thanks indeed for the tweaking indications.

However, I'll let the next user tamper with the fipple blade. Would $50 be OK? :smile:
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

I'll happily be that next user :smile:
Zubivka, I sent you a private message.

...[wonders if anyone else if gonna offer something]...
KT.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

A Howard or Kerry (plastic mouthpiece) Low D is to a Generation high d as a Ronaldo Reyburn Low D is to, um, something like a Sindt high d.

J
DaveAuty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Caoimhin

I have a Howard Low D which I could sell. It has a strong tone and you need quite a bit of breath for it. You might well have a problem with the finger stretch, if you have small hands. Tone-wise I much prefer it to a Kerry. Sweetone mentioned that Phil Hardy plays one, but bear in mind that he would play a Kerry Pro which is a superior whistle.
Email me if you want any more info on my Howard.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Had a few minutes on a new Howard recently, and found the stretch not bad for my hands which are on the border between Med./Lg. -The stretch was comfy for my Water Weasel low G-adapted mitts. The black Howard's sound was slightly quieter than the brass finish whistle. The brass-finished one had a nice sound too, a little brighter than than the black one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-10-24 03:38 ]</font>
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

The brass-finished one, is it polished or, just plain brass?

On a sidenote, is there any source of a recording of a Howard and/or Kerry? I've tried ClipsNSnips, but only 1 howard recording and only kerry pros.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caoimhin on 2002-10-24 05:38 ]</font>
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have four low Ds - Copeland, O'Riordan (anodized aluminum), Howard (older version), and Kerry. WHen I saw your post, I took them out last night for a taste test, even had my family listen and did record and play backs. They sound a might different to the player than to others, just like when you sing, the sound gets filtered through your own head bones and such before or while you're hearing it and playing.

Anyway, my family swears that there is absolutely not one iota of difference between the Copeland and O'Riordan (both beautiful)while I swear that the Copeland is described as rich and velvety (the cream of whistles?)and the O'Riordan as crystal clear and pure through both octaves. Both are easy reach for me (not large hands). The O'Riordan is a bit more goof proof because the holes on the Copeland, while not particularly large, are recessed and dug out sort of like a bowl - beautiful fit and finish but requires a bit more concentration in covering and lifting back up again.

I also have no problem with the reach on the Howard and Kerry (I don't measure such things, as I have no problem adjusting). The Kerry definitely has the most airiness, some might say a lack of clarity, with good volume. It's also fairly easy to play, but again requires some concentration as it tends (or maybe it's me that tends)to honk pre-note without proper hole coverage. Definitely not as rich in tone as the two above, but pretty good for the price. I like mine because it has some unique African design painting on it.

The Howard has a really lovely unique tone, but is somehow weaker in volume than the others. The reach is fine, but it has the largest finger holes of any low D I've played, and that presents a problem for me at times, as my pads are not that large.

You mention a brass Howard Low D; is that new? Mine is alumunum (with big black plastic mouthpiece like the Kerry)and I've seen the Howard high whistles in brass. Anyway, I really never play the Howard and will probably give it to someone who cannot afford a low D and who has big fingers.

Hope this is somewhat helpful; it certainly was fun for me.

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

Whoa! So many mixed comments, I'm having a hard time ...

PhilO, could you give me a rough estimate on the diameter of the largest and smallest hole on the Howard?
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

PhilO, care to comment more on the Kerry's tone? How (haunting) is it?