the flute's case case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutered
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

Bridges-PdP wrote:Perhaps the answer is more than one case. Find a cheap 'protection over looks' functional case and a 'yup, she is beautiful that's just the case she lives in' case.
Bridges has it: a case that's easy on the eye for everyday use and then perhaps one of those flute rolls for travelling so you can stick it in your jacket or a more grotty/ protective plastic box etc. to lessen the threat of thieves.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

[Ciao, Cathy! (A page back...but continuing the multi-lingual greeting trend you've begun.)]

I can see the virtue of a crusty case as a theft deterent, but it strikes me funny (and I'm guilty of this, too) that we'll shell out a couple grand for a flute, but then balk at spending ten percent of that on protection for our investment.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I.D.10-t wrote:Or a mailing tube?

You just need to make some kind of sliding insert.
Well, there you go... And only $9.99, too. :D

Here's a link to the description: Linkety-link

I might just have to get me one of these :)
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tintin wrote:[Ciao, Cathy! (A page back...but continuing the multi-lingual greeting trend you've begun.)]

I can see the virtue of a crusty case as a theft deterent, but it strikes me funny (and I'm guilty of this, too) that we'll shell out a couple grand for a flute, but then balk at spending ten percent of that on protection for our investment.
All a theoretical exercise on my part: I shelled out for a French case at my maker's gentle insistence. It had to be a bit of a special jobbie, too, but at the time I could afford it. Seems like another life ago. :wink:

Needless to say, my solution is to just not let it out of my sight when common sense dictates. I'd rather carry it around and look like a nerd than experience the alternative. As for other types of cases normally meant for other purposes, I say get the best, most secure and strong you can afford. Who cares what it looks like? Finely crafted cases are nice and all, but security for your investment is better than frills any day. OTOH, I don't think much of it when I see a nice flute come out of a roll. That just suggests to me that the owner is probably careful enough with it. Not a practice I'd be comfortable with for myself, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

We ought to lobby the Otter Box company to make a flute box - their stuf is waterproof, crushproof (within reason - you can drive a car over them, but not a tank), and the cigar box comes with foam lining and a built in humidor: http://www.otterbox.com/products/cigar_caddy/ Their non-cigar boxes look cooler, but hey. The prices are reasonable too. Unfortunately it appears that all their "standard" size cased aren't the proper proportions to hold D size flutes :cry:

Loren
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Loren wrote:We ought to lobby the Otter Box company to make a flute box - their stuf is waterproof, crushproof (within reason - you can drive a car over them, but not a tank), and the cigar box comes with foam lining and a built in humidor: http://www.otterbox.com/products/cigar_caddy/ Their non-cigar boxes look cooler, but hey. The prices are reasonable too. Unfortunately it appears that all their "standard" size cased aren't the proper proportions to hold D size flutes :cry:

Loren
That laptop case looks like it might?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

What about a wine gift box like this one?

http://www.wineschoppen.co.uk/acatalog/ ... boxes.html

Or a wine gift box in a tube shape?

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/win ... yard.shtml

I have no idea if a flute will fit.
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

I have been using tubes for years to transport my Bulgarian kaval (end-blown flute). I am waiting for my Irish flute to arrive and it will likely get the same treatment.

However, I use really strong 3" ABS black plastic pipe. it is easily cut to size and is very, very strong. Really cheap too. I just roll the flute pieces up in a small towel and put them into the pipe. You need to get end caps too. I have started to use 1" pvc pipe and end caps for my tin whistles as well.

I just stuff them into a backpack or gym bag and off I go.

It is ugly, but way, way stronger than some of the cases that have been discussed. Just a couple of dollars too.

...john
roj
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

Gator makes very nice, satchel-type cases. I have several. I think this one even has a molded interior...for 24 bucks.

http://www.finecases.com/browse/gator-c ... -3452.html
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

The Gator looks nice. Perhaps the "piccolo pocket" would work for the tin whistles.

The only thing I would worry about is that it is a "soft" case.

...john
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

Cool. I found a gator hard case made from ABS plastic.

http://www.finecases.com/browse/gator-c ... -3379.html
redoxmusic
Tell us something.: I enjoy Irish music and wooden flutes in general. I have pursued a number of forms of folk music over the years, as well as some classical music.

Post by redoxmusic »

Do the Gator cases work well for keyed flutes? I've been looking for a protective case for my six key flute and am curious if the gator cases work well.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Cathy Wilde wrote:The other option is a bag that hangs off a mic stand, but I like the rigidity and "multiflute" capacity of a padded PVC pipe or some such.
I actually used a bright green freebie version of this once. I put a plumber's pipe inside for rigidity. Its a sixpack beer can holder with shoulder strap.
:)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Lesl, that's freaking genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Two party hats for you! :party: :party:

I was using a yoga mat bag, but it's actually a little too big -- too much "flopabout" room.

I just hate putting my flute/s down on the stage -- especially when that stage is populated by a band where "strapping lads" only begins to describe half the personnel (and where "strapping lass" describes one-sixth of it :lol:!).
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.