Bubonic plague killed zoo monkey

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Cranberry wrote:I think most primates (including people) are primarily or entirely vegetarian, but the occasional bug, egg, slice of cheese or squirrel family isn't unheard of.

Not true not all primates and certainly not humans.

Humans choose to not eat meat.

Its not the same thing as not being able to eat it.

We and our closest known genetic relative are, as Rod states, "Opportunistic omnivore".

Actually Chimps pack hunt other primates and eat them.

Perhaps the very same thing occured with our own primitive ancestors.

Here is a little video.

They do catch the monkee and do eat it as you will see.

(its a little disturbing for the squeemsih)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDFh5JdYh7I

I love me veggies but I won't ever turn down a steak!

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

"Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii (Common chimpanzee) This photo shows a female chimpanzee with an infant begging for meat
from the males who have captured a small monkey. Note that her arm is raised, showing the range of shoulder motion common
to primates © 2005 David Bygott"

"Papio anubis (Olive baboon) Notice how this baboon is manipulating his meal
with his mobile thumbs © 2005 David Bygott"

http://anthro.palomar.edu/primate/prim_1.htm wrote:Primates have been very successful animals due largely to the fact that they are intelligent and opportunistic in getting food. Most are unusually adaptable in diet. This has tremendous evolutionarily selective value. Many species are omnivorous , though vegetable foods usually make up the bulk of calories consumed by most primate species because they are easier to obtain. By comparison, animals such as koalas and giant pandas are generally less successful because they are extremely limited in the kinds of foods that they can or will eat. Koalas subsist on the leaves of a few species of eucalyptus, and giant pandas primarily eat the shoots of a small number of bamboo species. If these food sources are not available, koalas and giant pandas die. Not surprisingly, their highly limited range of foods restricts where they can live. This is not the case with many primate species.
Jared Diamond in his books The Third Chimpanzee and, to a lesser extent, Collapse has some interesting discussions about the hunting practices of early man.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The only primate I'm aware of that is truly herbivorous is the gorilla. Most primates, including our closest relatives the chimp and the bonobo, not only eat meat, but engage in hunting behavior.

We primates are incredibly adaptable...we can live on just about anything.

Now here's an interesting factoid...there is one animal (not a primate) that is physically a carnivore, but functionally a vegetarian: the Giant Panda. They have the dentition and digestive system of a carnivore, but somehow long ago adapted to a purely herbivorous diet. Funny how nature works, isn't it?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Redwolf wrote:the Giant Panda. They have the dentition and digestive system of a carnivore, but somehow long ago adapted to a purely herbivorous diet.
They have been filmed recently in the wild eating a small deer-like animal.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Redwolf wrote:The only primate I'm aware of that is truly herbivorous is the gorilla.
Gorillas will also eat termites, caterpillars, ants, snails and grubs, although these tidbits are not a large percentage of their diet.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

One wouldn't actually contract bubonic pague from eating a squirrel but rather from being bitten by a flea that was on the squirrel.

So, go ahead and eat all the dead squirrels you want. :)

A boy scout died of palgue in Colorado several years ago after playing with a squirrel on a campout.

The sad thing is that bubonic plague is a bacterial disease (Yersinia pestis) and is readily curable with antibiotics. It's just so rare, that by the time somebody thought of it is was too late for the kid.

Doc, DVM
Last edited by Doc Jones on Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Aanvil wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I think most primates (including people) are primarily or entirely vegetarian, but the occasional bug, egg, slice of cheese or squirrel family isn't unheard of.

Not true not all primates and certainly not humans.

Humans choose to not eat meat....

I love me veggies but I won't ever turn down a steak!

:)
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate vegetables! "

-Imo Phillips-
:P

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Doc Jones wrote:One wouldn't actually contract bubonic pague from eating a squirrel but rather from being bitten by a flea that was on the squirrel.
There is also the chance that it will cause a respiratory infection and turn into a pneumonic plague. Respiratory droplets form a cough or a sneeze would be the only thing needed in that case. There may be more than one way to spread this stuff.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:
Redwolf wrote:The only primate I'm aware of that is truly herbivorous is the gorilla.
Gorillas will also eat termites, caterpillars, ants, snails and grubs, although these tidbits are not a large percentage of their diet.
I am a vegetarian, but when a gnat flies down my nose, I have been known to swallow it.

And I've been told before that breakfast cereals (think Cheerios, Rice Krispies) invariably have a small amount of animal products in them because they're grown in fields and grasshoppers, crickets, caterpillars, or even small mice can be caught and ground up in the harvesting machines.
djm

Post by djm »

Cberry wrote:but when a gnat flies down my nose, I have been known to swallow it.
Gnat-snorting is a serious offence in some areas. I'd be careful where you choose to indulge your bug-whiffing habits. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:
Cberry wrote:but when a gnat flies down my nose, I have been known to swallow it.
Gnat-snorting is a serious offence in some areas. I'd be careful where you choose to indulge your bug-whiffing habits. :wink:

djm
Two words: Jains and their Muhapattis (Ok, it's more than two words).
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:I am a vegetarian, but when a gnat flies down my nose, I have been known to swallow it.
There are significant differences between gorillas eating invertebrates and you sucking down an occasional gnat, not the least of which is the thoughtful expression on the face of the gorilla as compared to the flailing and snorting most of us do when a gnat invades.

About 3 percent of a gorilla's diet is invertebrates. For an adult male gorilla, who can pack away about 40 pounds a day, this comes out to over a pound, much more than one could attribute to accidental consumption. Gorillas have also been seen tearing into termite mounds, which I think is a prime indication they are sucking bugs down on purpose.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

well...there ain't many McD's about, what ya s'posed to do?
djm

Post by djm »

Cberry wrote:Jains and their Muhapattis
I am scanning the Jains agamas and I don't see anything on the habitual inhalation of terrestrial invertebrates. Maybe I'm mssing something. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:
Cberry wrote:Jains and their Muhapattis
I am scanning the Jains agamas and I don't see anything on the habitual inhalation of terrestrial invertebrates. Maybe I'm mssing something. :boggle:

djm
The muhapatti serves as a barrier to keep them from inhaling and ingesting insects.