Just saw Pan's Labyrinth

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Just saw Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Redwolf »

All I can say is: "Wow"! That's definitely a fairy tale of the old school!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Yes, it was visually stunning, though morally pretty heavy handed in a morbid, European kind of way. Like The Fountain, it was one of those films that was good to see once, but once was enough, I think.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Very dark, and very violent, but stunning, yes, and powerful.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thank you all for this mini-review. It's received some good press, and I was wondering if I should put it in my Netflix queue. The thing is, I was afraid it might be...
Redwolf wrote:...a fairy tale of the old school!
djm wrote:...morally pretty heavy handed in a morbid, European kind of way.
and
anniemcu wrote:Very dark, and very violent...
I never had a childhood fear of clown dolls, but the heavy, weird, nightmarish world of dark fairy-tales was not a place I would venture deliberately and I can't think of a reason to change my pov on that now.

So no. No spot in the queue.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Yeah, probably a good choice there, Emm, by your reasoning.

I like European fairy tales with their redcaps, boggarts and the like. I'm not such a big fan of the more Disney-esque and safer modern fairy tales. Consequently, I loved the movie...but it's clearly not for everyone.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

One of his older movies, The Devil's Backbone, is great and a more traditional ghost story.

I enjoy his comic book/horror/gory movies too, but they're not for everyone.

And I loved Pan's Labyrinth but the ending choked me up. Um, no, sorry, I meant to say I got a piece of popcorn in my eye.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

beowulf573 wrote:One of his older movies, The Devil's Backbone, is great and a more traditional ghost story.

And I loved Pan's Labyrinth but the ending choked me up. Um, no, sorry, I meant to say I got a piece of popcorn in my eye.
Me too. I had rather expected it to have a bleak ending, and was kept guessing right up until the end. And it was elegantly done, I think. But it's not a film for everyone.

People who do want to see it, though, should be warned:

1. It's not a movie to watch right before dinner (there are some parts that may put you off your appetite)

2. It's not a movie to watch right before bed, if you're given to nightmares

3. It is not...repeat NOT...a movie for children. Teens may enjoy it, but young children will likely find it frightening and disturbing.

Redwolf
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Redwolf wrote:
beowulf573 wrote:One of his older movies, The Devil's Backbone, is great and a more traditional ghost story.

Me too. I had rather expected it to have a bleak ending, and was kept guessing right up until the end. And it was elegantly done, I think. But it's not a film for everyone.

People who do want to see it, though, should be warned:

1. It's not a movie to watch right before dinner (there are some parts that may put you off your appetite)

2. It's not a movie to watch right before bed, if you're given to nightmares

3. It is not...repeat NOT...a movie for children. Teens may enjoy it, but young children will likely find it frightening and disturbing.

Redwolf
What Red said! (We were having dinner while watching it, and thankfully, the youngest had opted to eat at her computer instead.) It came highly recommended by eldest, and even though she warned us of a particularly brutal scene to avoid, it was upon us before the movie was far along at all, making it quite difficult to turn away from. :o Still, it was well worth watching the movie.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

i am kinda mad at the movie and myself. i have had an idea to make a scary movie with a creature with eyes on the palm of its hands, and no eye sockets. :swear: why couldnt i have made it sonner?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:I never had a childhood fear of clown dolls...
I didn't either...until I saw Poltergeist at the theatres (why my mother took me is beyond me...I was terrified of scary music on TV for heaven's sake, and would have nightmares for days after :lol: ). That clown in that movie was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen...and when I got home, I remembered (because I went into my room and SAW it) that *I* had a clown that looked almost exactly like the one in the movie. Needless to say, that clown went way, way, WAY back in my closet and never came out again. I'm still afraid of that darn clown. Gives me the heebies just thinking about it :boggle:

And to keep things on topic here, I too am glad for the reviews. The older portion of the brood wanted to see it, and I wasn't sure how appropriate it would be for the littler ones. Looks like this one will be a "later night" movie for the adult and almost adults instead. Thanks! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

When I was very young, I was terrified of skeletons. The funny thing (well, funny now...I was scared to death back then!) was that my parents liked to watch "The Red Skelton" show. I was CONVINCED that it was about a "red skeleton," and had to be in bed, cowering with the covers pulled firmly over my head, before the theme music came on, or I would have hysterics!

Redwolf
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I just saw last night as well!

Not your normal take... and NOT FOR CHILDREN.

I was mostly pleased.

I'm hard to please as far as films go.

From all the scuttle I was expecting it to be bloody and violent.

There was of course blood and violence, but not gratuitously so.

The farmer and son scene, probably the only truly horrific one of the film, was perfectly placed.

It was needed to set the tone.

I also found the place and time it was set refreshing to me.

Franco period Spain and its civil war is little discussed here in the U.S.

To some Guernica is just a painting by some abstract artist dude. ;)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Aanvil wrote:

The fact that it's a Spanish film may have had a little to do with that! :lol: But yes...it is a refreshing setting.

Like you, I wouldn't call any of the gore or violence gratuitous. It's not a children's film, but it's not a slasher, gore-for-the-sake-of-gore film either.

One thing I really liked is you were never sure, right up until the very end, whether the faun was going to prove to be what he said he was, or a truly evil creature. It could have had a very bleak ending, which made the way it did end all the more poignant.

One thing that baffles me though is why is the English title "Pan's Labyrinth" and not "Labyrinth of a Faun" or "The Faun's Labyrinth?"

Redwolf
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Redwolf wrote:
Aanvil wrote:

The fact that it's a Spanish film may have had a little to do with that! :lol: But yes...it is a refreshing setting.

Like you, I wouldn't call any of the gore or violence gratuitous. It's not a children's film, but it's not a slasher, gore-for-the-sake-of-gore film either.

One thing I really liked is you were never sure, right up until the very end, whether the faun was going to prove to be what he said he was, or a truly evil creature. It could have had a very bleak ending, which made the way it did end all the more poignant.

One thing that baffles me though is why is the English title "Pan's Labyrinth" and not "Labyrinth of a Faun" or "The Faun's Labyrinth?"

Redwolf

Yeah... and you can't get the Spanish to shut-up about. Moderation I say!

;) :D

I did like fact they he kept us guessing about the faun.

They are sayters afterall.

Its not "Pan" though to be true.

Wiki has it listed:

...the English title refers to the faun-like Greek god Pan, though del Toro has stated that the faun featured in the film is not actually Pan

I'd say blame it on the marketing execs!

Dell Toro baby... whats a Faun? No one knows... no one cares. Now "PAN" thats got some snap to it baby!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I thought it was a great movie.

The violence was "good" violence in the sense that it advanced the story, and was realistic, non-gratuitous, and non-glorified. It was "good" cinematic violence because it showed how bad real violence is.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.