French made Air Car

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

French made Air Car

Post by BillChin »

from a Business Week online article:
The MiniC.A.T is a simple, light urban car, with a tubular chassis that is glued not welded and a body of fibreglass...

... Most importantly, it is incredibly cost-efficient to run – according to the designers, it costs less than one Euro per 100Km (about a tenth that of a petrol car). Its mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car (200 to 300 km or 10 hours of driving), a factor which makes a perfect choice in cities where the 80% of motorists drive at less than 60Km. The car has a top speed of 68 mph. ...

... At the moment, four models have been made: a car, a taxi (5 passengers), a Pick-Up truck and a van. The final selling price will be approximately 5500 UK pounds (approximately $11000 USD)

Link to article
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/conte ... pDiscussed

The link says March 2007 so part of me wonders if this is an an April Fool's type of prank, because it sounds too good to be true. A google search for "french air car" turns up some confirming links at the BBC and MSNBC.

from the Company site:
http://www.theaircar.com/

The MDI MiniCat´s really is a revolutionary urban solution. While carrying the full MDI "zero pollution" compressed air technology, the car is very small. Only 2.65 m in length, conventional width and height make the MiniCat´s the ultimate city car: non-polluting and easy to park...

Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Maybe this could be interesting. Maybe this could be my new pickup.

Maybe the major auto manufacturers and oil companies will lobby like mad to ensure it never sees an American street. And maybe I'm far to cynical for 30.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

key phrase "...once the market develops..." Until then, it's 3 or four hours plugged into the mains to recharge. Oh well, let's hope all those "early adopters" go for it.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Air car meets Hummer. Hummer barely hiccups. Air car makes a nice coffin.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Which is one of the umpteen billion reasons why people shouldn't drive hummers.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
missy

Post by missy »

FJohnSharp wrote:Air car meets Hummer. Hummer barely hiccups. Air car makes a nice coffin.
actually, I was thinking more along the line of an 18 wheeler, but same outcome.

FJohnSharp - could it be because we KNOW Ohio drivers????

I don't know why, but I have visions of these in my garage if I owned this car...........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Discussion of air cars. Lots of repostes and caveats.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm all for anything that will help, even if it is just useful for a relatively small number of people. A car like that might work out well in my town----there is no public transportation, not that much traffic, but things are not close enough for people to walk and many people can't ride bikes.

I guess I wonder about the air compression----what is the source of energy for that? I'll have to look into that I guess. I think in Iowa compressed air is used to store power generated by wind turbines---but not sure and I would imagine that is a fairly unusual source of compressed air.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Kevin L. Rietmann

Read the discussion I linked to. Lots of refs to ultimate energy expenditure, which is becoming more and more an issue. There's plenty of noise in the discussion too, and asides about wind turbines, skim over that.
An idea like this should really be considered purely terms of practicality, economic issues aside - we may not have the luxury of being able to make a killing down the road. Unfortunately this is completely at odds with how markets work, so...
The most telling points in the discussion (I'm re-reading it) may be the people who snicker at the very idea; it's been trotted out every now and then for 30 years or so and nothing comes of it. One person points out that they're claiming efficiencies 5 times greater than what you get out of a good bicycle. Rather unlikely. Another gripe is that they're likely using road tests conducted on level ground with no stopping, which isn't very realistic, either. Or that compressed air loses a lot of its oomph in cold weather; will these things work at -20F?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

It certainly isn't a silver bullet. The critics make a compelling argument that compressed air is inefficient and would make the energy crunch actually worse not better. The positives are more in the lightweight design and small form factor. There are gas powered cars on the market that have a similar small size.

The positives are zero emissions, actually negative emissions. The "exhaust" will generally be cleaner air than the atmosphere. For certain cities with terrible smog problems, that much alone might be worth the bother and expense.

These things will probably never make it to American highways. Though to be fair, this is a European design, and the U. S. is not the targeted market. Crowded cities with near unbreathable air, or with narrow streets and $8 USD per gallon gasoline are where these vehicles might be of high utility.
djm

Post by djm »

Hello? 68km tops? That's fine for downtown driving for a few blocks, but you're not going on any freeways or highways at that speed. Its really not a practical solution for anything but core driving in major cities.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

“68km tops” might not sound too hot, but there is the question of how much potential there is for improvement. One problem with compressing gasses for use as an energy storage system is that compressing the gas in the first place generates heat, which has to be gotten rid of and is lost energy. Then, as the gas expands, it cools, so it doesn’t expand as much as it would if it don’t end up chilling its self, so you loose even more energy. A plus could be that containers for compressed gas don’t wear out nearly as fast as batteries going through charge and discharge cycles. Long-term battery life could be what makes or breaks electric cars. If I was in charge of funding the development of the replacement for oil powered vehicles, I would go with flywheels. In theory, they have a better weight to available energy ratio than fuels and better regenerative breaking, energy efficiency, recharge times and top speeds than batteries. (If that didn’t make sense, don’t worry, “it won’t be on the test”.)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Discussion of air cars. Lots of repostes and caveats.
Not gonna get into a discussion about this, especially after reading what some of the stumpers and naysayers on peak oil have to say (I'm always amused at the number of "experts" there are on peak oil who havn't the first damn clue about what they're talking about; this discussion is no exception).
I am going to throw out one observation, though; the above discussion looks oddly similar to ones I remember reading on various newsgroups in the mid to late ninties about an odd newfangled contraption called the "Gas-Electric Hybrid." I'm willing to bed dimes to dollars most of the yahoos on peak oil never gave hybrids a first thought back in the 90s, and there were MANY folks on those newsgroups who had some of the same naysaying arguments about hybrids and hybrid technology as are being expressed about the air car.
Lo, and behold, how many companies offer a hybrid option now (or in some cases, several hybrid options)?

YMMV

--an aside--
recently bought a 1982 VW rabbit diesel and started producing my own fuel.

/great fun
//done in a weekend
///using sh*t people throw away anyways
////slashies rule
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Kevin L. Rietmann

I agree, there's a lot of noise in those discussions, but there are knowledgable people in there as well. The Oil Drum is where to go if you want something as rigorous as you please.
Peak Oil is a whole buffet of potential problems we're facing. Go to the link in my signature if you want to see 'em laid out one after the other. That we've overcome energy/technological obstacles in the past isn't really reassuring to me.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

djm wrote:Hello? 68km tops? That's fine for downtown driving for a few blocks, but you're not going on any freeways or highways at that speed. Its really not a practical solution for anything but core driving in major cities.
Maybe in North America. But, my coworker from Bangalore says
that in India, the roads are of such condition that people rarely go
over 60km/h.

These air cars were probably never meant for American drivers.