Greatest Male Vocalist- since we've done the distaff side

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Mebbe this thread should be split into those with great singing voices, versus great and memorable singers.

Sinatra and Bing Crosby had great singing voices. So did Elvis.

Tom Waits and Willie Nelson have made huge impacts in the music world and had long careers without having great voices. In some ways, I find Nelson personally inspirational because I do a lot of singing in my group even though I have a somewhat thin voice. I just emote the hell out of every tune hoping I can make up for the deficit.

There are also great singer-songwriters whose power of expression via the music and impact of lyrics is memorable. By this reckoning, Chico Buarque is one of the greatest of all-time. Many of you don't know who I am talking about. But he is a Brazilian singer and poet who has written a ton of songs showing incredible variety over the years. The music is excellent, the poetry is tops and his songs have this very deep pathos, likely from him having lived in exile for decades because of Brazilian political dysfunction, so common to other S. American countries.I don't know if you can sample his tunes online, but check out Trocando em Miudos as a sample. His music gives me goosebumps even though I rely on liner notes for translations.

Waits fits in as a songwriter here though I don't think he is on the same level as Chico. Dylan is celebrated by many even though his voice is actually a distraction from his poetry. In some cases, the music is just good enough to be a vehicle for the poetry. Other times the music is pretty good. I think Leonard Cohen fits in somewhere here too.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I couldn't pick a favorite. Too many to choose from.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:I couldn't pick a favorite. Too many to choose from.
Yep. But I'll add a few to the list, anyway...

Dean Martin
John Denver
Michael Ball
Sean Altman
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Scott McCallister wrote: Tom Jones?! I really didn't expect to see that name here... I mean come on!

:x I'm going to have that running through my head for the rest of the day now, dammit. :x

:lol: :lol:
Look, any dude over 100 years old that can do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrmnfQiwys

He belongs on the list. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I can't pick a favorite but here are a couple fellows I think haven't been mentioned:

Hank Williams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu71i89xvs
This video is sort of goofy but he's singing Lovesick Blues, my favorite, and the sound is good.

Mel Torme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odlEDzBy ... ed&search=
Last edited by Cynth on Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

dfernandez77 wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote: Tom Jones?! I really didn't expect to see that name here... I mean come on!

:x I'm going to have that running through my head for the rest of the day now, dammit. :x

:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:
Cynth wrote: Mel Torme
Oh man I was going to mention him! just got too wrapped up in the others in the list. Ya, Mel rocks!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

djm wrote:
Caroluna wrote:Nobody's mentioned Bozo?
djm
:P :P :P

I was trying to find a good example on You Tube, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :wink:
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Scott McCallister wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:
This is starting to remind me of my disagreement with my little brother about the Rolling Stones. He says they are terrible because the musicianship is mediocre and Mick Jagger is a sh*t singer. I say they are great because of they do nasty, bluesy, straight ahead, rock-n-roll in exactly the way they do it - and have been entertaining a whole mess of people for many years doing it.

Nobody does The Stones like The Stones, and nobody does Tom Jones like Tom Jones. Sure, there are better technical vocalists (who can bore the crap outta me) than Mr. Jones - but the dude knows how to deliver.

To me there's more to being a vocalist than purity and technical skill. I totally agree with the people mentioning Tom Waits and Bob Dylan - I would add John Hammond in that class of vocalist. And where Pavarotti has bored me to tears, Lanza was nearly always freekin joyous. In Soul and R&B there's a ton of silky talent - but the singer (Andrew Strong) in The Commitments kicked arse in a very raw way that I love.

There are people that can sing, and there are singers that just bring it on. Maybe I'm bellowing into a blizzard, but I'll say it again - Tom Jones is on the list. Or at least my list.
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Fri May 18, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Caroluna wrote:
djm wrote:
Caroluna wrote:Nobody's mentioned Bozo?
djm
:P :P :P

I was trying to find a good example on You Tube, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :wink:
And what about Mr. Rogers? It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood you know.
Daniel

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

paul brady
wynonie harris
dieguito ‘el cigala’ salazar
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I have been known to get down on my bended knees and praise Tony Bennett..an awesome singer who sees phrasing as a given.

Never underestimate Dylans vocal powers. I could offer many examples here but those of little faith would step forward and joke..as if they knew anything.

Nat King Cole..anytime.

Now to bend the rules a bit... Andrea Bocelli has an operatic background but has been known to drift away and do the odd..very odd..Italian folk song or maybe a Pop song in his own language..but what a voice.

If I had to nominate my all time favourite living breathing male voice..he would win..without contest .

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:Now to bend the rules a bit... Andrea Bocelli has an operatic background but has been known to drift away and do the odd..very odd..Italian folk song or maybe a Pop song in his own language..but what a voice.

If I had to nominate my all time favourite living breathing male voice..he would win..without contest .

Slan,
D. :)
I have to agree..he is really awesome as well.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

First to Doug(and all ya'll) don't sweat the "rules", I've never been big on 'em myself.

slaps forehead- I can't believe I forgot
Dick Gaughan- oh my what a voice and delivery
Bobby McFerrin- love the stuff with Yo Yo Ma
Andrea Bocelli, he's truly amazing- I can't imagine anyone not loving hearing him

I also thought of a few more-

Johnny Mathis- the ultimate Funny Valentine

Vince Gill- I rarely like the songs he sings, but he has an amazing voice

I knew y'all 'ud remind me of the one's I forgot. :thumbsup:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Art Garfunkel
Paul Simon
Glen Campbell
Garth Brooks

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard