Des Seery

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My :o advice:

1. Obtain and/or make tools
2. Take reed making classes
3. Order "The Heart of the Instrument" DVD set.
4. Visit all the reed making sites you can possibly find
5. Buy at least 10 tubes of your favorite Arundo Donax (I have best results with Spanish, lots of people swear by Californian, Paddy Keenan told me Californian is the best).

This is such a well kept secret: It's the reeds, it's the reeds it's the reeds, it's the reeds it's the reeds, it's the reeds it's the reeds.

Get the hint?
:swear:
TheSilverSpear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TheSilverSpear »

In fairness, I haven't lived within 1000 miles of people who have made assorted bits and pieces of my pipes, nor do I make reeds (I haven't the time, space, and inclination to be bothered) and I have been able to make it work. It never seemed to be even worth trying to find close by pipemakers since I've lived in Massachusetts, Colorado, and the UK since I started playing. When the pipes have freaked out on me, I can usually find someone nearby -- or at least in the same country -- who can sort it out, even if it's not their pipes.

So it's nice to live near your pipemaker, but you're not totally up the creek if you don't.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

TheSilverSpear wrote:

So it's nice to live near your pipemaker, but you're not totally up the creek if you don't.
I'll agree with this, but I will also add that life can be so much easier if you do.

Not everyone has good Karma and/or are able to get help when trouble gets in the way of happy piping. :lol:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I've had very good luck with the American pipe makers being happy to reed or repair pipes of their make even though I wasn't the original buyer. I've also had good experience with professional reed makers doing excellent work for me on pipes they didn't make.

Desi is a fine fellow. I'm sure his pipes are excellent. The only hassle I forsee is getting a reed that's happy in Ireland to be happy in the desert Southwest of USA. I'd have a back-up plan ready for a new reed. Get hooked up with a reed maker that will reed Desi's chanter if you need it and you'll be just fine.

The only real hassle would be sending the stick back and forth to Eire every time you need a reed. You don't want to do that. Hook up with Ted Anderson or Joseph Smith or Pat Sky or any pipe maker or reed guy that wants to take a crack at it and you'll be just fine.

There may even be a local guy in a local piping club that's a good hand with reeds. Or, you can (...shudder...) learn to make your own reeds.

I personally have neither the time or incination to learn reed making at this point in my life. There are dozens of great people that can save your bacon right here in the US and they're only a trip to the post office away. :)
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Doc Jones wrote: The only real hassle would be sending the stick back and forth to Eire ...
Thats the thing :wink:
And I really do think that one should have a very special reason for buying from a maker across
the atlantic or the pacific. It has to be worth the extra cost and extra risk.

I know of a very good pipemaker in Ireland who recently shipped a set of pipes to the US, even payed extra for a 4 day express delivery door to door to minimize the risk. The pipes have now been sitting in US customs for four weeks. I would be really worried that the customs storage climate is not in favour of long time storage of a set of pipes.

If I were to buy from overseas it would difinately be a set by a maker whos pipes that are so special that it is worth paying extra for a flight ticket to pick them up in person.

This is just my opinion.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Desi might be able to arrange getting the pipes carried to the states. He comes over occassionally and also has a business assosiate here in the states that's been known to go back and forth.

Customs is sometimes nothing at all and sometimes your worst nightmare. I've had both experiences.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The climate issue is a small one I think compared to the potential problems in shipping and time delays. Just know EXACTLY what you're getting yourself into beforehand. You *might* make out ok...but the deck is most certainly NOT stacked in your favor on this one mate. Sorry.
billh

Post by billh »

MarcusR wrote:...
And I really do think that one should have a very special reason for buying from a maker across
the atlantic or the pacific. It has to be worth the extra cost and extra risk.

I know of a very good pipemaker in Ireland who recently shipped a set of pipes to the US, even payed extra for a 4 day express delivery door to door to minimize the risk. The pipes have now been sitting in US customs for four weeks.
I know that maker ;-)

and for the record it was 2-day express delivery, and - fortunately - the pipes have only been stuck in US Customs for an additional week so far. Indications are that the total transit time may end up being 2 weeks or more. (Neither maker nor customer is very pleased about this)

Still, I think the concerns about buying transatlantically are more important when you're just starting out. By the time you know your way around a chanter and have formed a clear idea of the sound/etc. you're after, you should be able to do your own basic maintenance, diagnostics, and minor reed tweaks even if you don't make your own reeds. A good set of reeds, properly adjusted, can (and probably should) last for years.

In any case, picking up a set of pipes in person is by far the better idea - it means you get face-to-face time with the maker, get to see what the maker expects and vice-versa, maker has the opportunity to make little adjustments, possibly, to suit you. For those outside of Europe the usual strategy (whether the maker is located in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe) is to combine the trip with a pilgrimage to WCSS or another piping event in Ireland, which is a good idea for anyone playing Irish traditional music.

Similarly, if an experienced piper in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe wants to purchase a full set of pipes from a specific US maker, I think the location of the maker is only one aspect to consider. For such a long term investment, I am not even sure the fluctuating exchange rates play a major role other than increasing/decreasing the financial pain - possibly the cost of airfare is a bigger issue.

Bill
somethingclever

Post by somethingclever »

If there is a need for a US associate, he is obviously shipped numorous things to the US. I find it hard to believe that they dont have a system in place because loosing products to customs is substantially bad for business.

I agree with fancy piper. I agree with him because he is right.
" Its the reeds. Its the reeds.Its the reeds.Its the reeds.Its the reeds."

people have told me that they didnt like seery pipes and didnt recomend them, and the reasons they gave me were ALL due to the reed changing climate or not being to their specific taste. I intend to make my own reeds. his pipes are perfectly in tune and beautiful looking and when they arrive they will be flat and buzzy as all hell, BECAUSE OF THE REED not the pipes.

Did i mention that the waiting lists in the states are rediculous?

Tim britton-2 years
Gallagher-2.5 years
Kirk lynch-1.5 years

I do appreciate the feedback.
Chris Bayley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

Unfortunately this situation is only too common and paying for express delivery does not always work - a large four regulator set sent express delivery by UK Parcelforce to France spent the first month in an alpine warehouse - really good for the reeds all that nice cool fresh air

Have had UPS loose sets for several weeks on end

A consigment of Gun Drills from the US recently took three months to arrive (USPS)
somethingclever

Post by somethingclever »

I would love to travel to meet makers, but i wouldnt even be able travel within the united states to meet a maker. I settle for talking to them on the phone. I agree about what you said about reeds though, Bill.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

billh wrote: and for the record it was 2-day express delivery, and - fortunately - the pipes have only been stuck in US Customs for an additional week so far. Indications are that the total transit time may end up being 2 weeks or more. (Neither maker nor customer is very pleased about this)
:oops:
You know rumors, they tend to exaggerate a wee bit.
I think that is the hole point with rumors though :D
Thanks for getting it strait Bill, hope everything ends on a good note for the new pipe owner.

I'm sure glad that I paid you a vistit for my pipe pick up. I had no trouble to carry the set as hand luggage on the way home. And best of all, I have not needed to even touch your chanter reed since I left Dublin in early November. It has been so increadibly stable through out the winter and spring. I truley love that set Bill, and in about 20 years I hope to do it justice one day :wink:

Cheers!

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

somethingclever wrote:
Did i mention that the waiting lists in the states are rediculous?

Tim britton-2 years
Gallagher-2.5 years
Kirk lynch-1.5 years

I do appreciate the feedback.
As the the names you have on your list are all considered to be TOP makers I find the waiting times you
mentioned very reasonable.
I would get worried if the maker I was about to buy from had "of the shelf pipes" for immediate delivery.

/MarcusR
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

somethingclever wrote:Did i mention that the waiting lists in the states are rediculous?

Tim britton-2 years
Gallagher-2.5 years
Kirk lynch-1.5 years
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly how much checking have you done into reputable makers lead times? Have you looked at the best European makers? These lead times are excellent!

If you want speed and a really decent quality product, perhaps looking at the likes of UP of Boston, Pat Sky, CJ Dixon would suit you better. They're domestic, their leads are reasonable for starter sets, and the cost is also quite reasonable.
sturob

Post by sturob »

billh wrote:and for the record it was 2-day express delivery, and - fortunately - the pipes have only been stuck in US Customs for an additional week so far. Indications are that the total transit time may end up being 2 weeks or more. (Neither maker nor customer is very pleased about this)
Assuming you're the maker . . .

Did you mark them incredibly clearly as BAGPIPES? Bagpipes and all bagpipe paraphernalia are specifically exempted from duties when coming into the US.

Unless there's ivory on them, then they'll never come in without CITES certification.

I wonder why they're stuck in Customs.

Stuart