Insane but it seals: pad solution

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kriana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Insane but it seals: pad solution

Post by Kriana »

Today I got sick of waiting for my tan kidskin pads to come in so that I could fix my long F key.

in a stroke of brilliance (or stupidity) I realized I had some easter themed self-stick craft foam decorations lying around.

So I used water soluble marker to trace around the edge of the inside of the pad cup and stamp an appropriately sized circle on a particularly large flower.

the *second* try fit and sealed -- on the first try I had too much excess toward the spring and the key wouldn't close all the way unless I mushed it down.

so if you're ever in a pinch and near a craft store, the colors are a bit garish, and I don't recommend it as a long term solution -- but craft foam seals...

Now experts... is there any reason why I shouldn't do this (short term)?

and what's the weirdest thing anyone else has used in place of pads?
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I use aquarium silicone sealant. Works very well, and custom forms to fit old key seats perfectly.

Eric
treeshark

Re: Insane but it seals: pad solution

Post by treeshark »

Kriana wrote:what's the weirdest thing anyone else has used in place of pads?
I have trained large barnacles to live in the key cups, their adhesive feet make the perfect seal. You must play the flute frequently as they must be kept moist. Smaller limpits work well too but they can grip the seat too hard so that a key won't lift.:wink:
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Kriana wrote: and what's the weirdest thing anyone else has used in place of pads?
socks, which isn't that uncommon I'm told.

That was back in junior high. I don't really feel the need to use pads now. :wink:

Jennie
michael c

Post by michael c »

It's not all that weird, I'm afraid, but I've used clarinet pads, stuck on with "blu-tack". They work fine, certainly until the barnacles and limpets can be educated in the finer arts of sealing flute keys, and in how to hold their breath for so long out of their saline comfort zones.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

treeshark wrote:
Kriana wrote:what's the weirdest thing anyone else has used in place of pads?
I have trained large barnacles to live in the key cups, their adhesive feet make the perfect seal. You must play the flute frequently as they must be kept moist. Smaller limpits work well too but they can grip the seat too hard so that a key won't lift.:wink:
I've heard of this. However, a little-known side effect is that after you apply the barnacles and limpets, the flute will only play sea shanties, AAARRRGG!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Kriana wrote:Today I got sick of waiting for my tan kidskin pads to come in so that I could fix my long F key.

in a stroke of brilliance (or stupidity) I realized I had some easter themed self-stick craft foam decorations lying around.

So I used water soluble marker to trace around the edge of the inside of the pad cup and stamp an appropriately sized circle on a particularly large flower.

the *second* try fit and sealed -- on the first try I had too much excess toward the spring and the key wouldn't close all the way unless I mushed it down.

so if you're ever in a pinch and near a craft store, the colors are a bit garish, and I don't recommend it as a long term solution -- but craft foam seals...

Now experts... is there any reason why I shouldn't do this (short term)?

and what's the weirdest thing anyone else has used in place of
pads?
I like your style!
I make foam pads by punching them out from these foam inulating pads that you can buy to insulate switch and outlet plates. They are white closed cell foam just the right thickness. I like the idea of bright colored stick on flowers, I will have to look into that. Can I buy large wholesale quantities for bright foam stick on flowers...
For Purse pads I use the tree fiber from a flowering tree that grows in front of my shop, the tree has giant seed pods that spew out this wool like fiber. I stuff that in kid leather, and glue it. It makes little pillows, that I glue on with shellac. Lots of fun, if you don't have a life.... :sniffle:
I even have cork trees out on the street, but haven't harvested any cork from them yet... (How many of you know that cork comes from trees? :o )
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote: For Purse pads I use the tree fiber from a flowering tree that grows in front of my shop, the tree has giant seed pods that spew out this wool like fiber. I stuff that in kid leather, and glue it. It makes little pillows, that I glue on with shellac. Lots of fun, if you don't have a life.... :sniffle:
Would those be Silk Trees? http://www.geocities.com/westcornersville/floss.jpg

Thorny trunks?
http://www.bio.miami.edu/arboretum/39.jpg

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:
Jon C. wrote: For Purse pads I use the tree fiber from a flowering tree that grows in front of my shop, the tree has giant seed pods that spew out this wool like fiber. I stuff that in kid leather, and glue it. It makes little pillows, that I glue on with shellac. Lots of fun, if you don't have a life.... :sniffle:
Would those be Silk Trees? http://www.geocities.com/westcornersville/floss.jpg

Thorny trunks?
http://www.bio.miami.edu/arboretum/39.jpg

Kevin Krell
Hi Kevin,
Ya, that is the tree, big thorns and all!
The cork trees are cork Oak trees...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Kriana

Post by Kriana »

Jon C. wrote: Can I buy large wholesale quantities for bright foam stick on flowers...
(How many of you know that cork comes from trees? :o )

actually you probably could buy wholesale quantities. I think die cut circles would work better. but I didn't have any of those in the "Peeps" branded foam cut outs that my mum sent me. For now I'm going to use strips from the little letters to reduce my key clicking due to old cork bits falling off.

the best part is the colors!

(Yes! I knew that one! My college education was worth the 40k a year after all!)
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Kriana wrote:
Jon C. wrote: Can I buy large wholesale quantities for bright foam stick on flowers...
(How many of you know that cork comes from trees? :o )

actually you probably could buy wholesale quantities. I think die cut circles would work better. but I didn't have any of those in the "Peeps" branded foam cut outs that my mum sent me. For now I'm going to use strips from the little letters to reduce my key clicking due to old cork bits falling off.

the best part is the colors!

(Yes! I knew that one! My college education was worth the 40k a year after all!)
You can get a set of hollow leather punches on ebay for around $5.They work great. I just turn them into the foam with a wood backing. You can use the small punches to cut the key dampers also, I usually use sheet cork, but foam would work also.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

No No NO!

Cork comes from wine bottles...

I have a liver to prove it!

:P
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

[quote="Jon C."]
For Purse pads I use the tree fiber from a flowering tree that grows in front of my shop, the tree has giant seed pods that spew out this wool like fiber. I stuff that in kid leather, and glue it. It makes little pillows, that I glue on with shellac. Lots of fun, if you don't have a life.... :sniffle:

very cool...

que blues in Em... "rocks for my pill-ohh.... seed pods dat spew out da woooooly like fiber... fo' my pads.
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com