Tin Whistle with Clearer tone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jrc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jrc »

lavalamp wrote:I'll look into Oak/Hoover, thanks guys.

For titanic:
Check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urb4y-ZMvdc

Someone in the comments was saying the whistler (Andrea Corr) was using a Generation Bb, I dunno myself, but I'm sure one of you can pick it out from the close-ups.

For LOTR:
I think Sir Galway is on some kind of whistle at the beginning here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIDzoTAh8I

The main beginning part of "In Dreams" that I have is in the key of D major so it makes for some easy playing.
That woman is not playing that whistle. Makes a nice picture, but that's the end of it. Maybe she did and recorded it, but that's not being done live, IMHO. Watch her breathing.

jrc
jrc

Post by jrc »

jrc wrote:
lavalamp wrote:I'll look into Oak/Hoover, thanks guys.

For titanic:
Check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urb4y-ZMvdc

Someone in the comments was saying the whistler (Andrea Corr) was using a Generation Bb, I dunno myself, but I'm sure one of you can pick it out from the close-ups.

For LOTR:
I think Sir Galway is on some kind of whistle at the beginning here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIDzoTAh8I

The main beginning part of "In Dreams" that I have is in the key of D major so it makes for some easy playing.
That woman is not playing that whistle. Makes a nice picture, but that's the end of it. Maybe she did and recorded it, but that's not being done live, IMHO. Watch her breathing.

jrc
And the movement of the melody doesn't match her hands near the end of the opening phrase. Not even a good fake. Sounds good though .. I wonder who played it?
jrc

Post by jrc »

:poke:

OK, one more and I'll let it go...

She's Andrea Corr and does play whistle, but you can tell it's pre-recorded; the tone continues when her mouth is open, presumably to breath.

At least maybe she did actually play on the recording, but not on this song. I'm just not buying it.

jrc
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Well, I'm not going to defend Andrea Corr, and certainly not Celine Dion. However, it's pretty obvious when I watch the video (sorry, couldn't stand to watch all 5+ minutes), that the audio and video are out of sync.

It's somewhat noticeable when Celine sings, but even a split second out of sync on a whistle looks way off.

I'm not saying the video isn't pre-recorded, but I'd bet that if it is, it would probably be much less obvious on an actual DVD or live.

Jason
jrc

Post by jrc »

Jason Paul wrote:Well, I'm not going to defend Andrea Corr, and certainly not Celine Dion. However, it's pretty obvious when I watch the video (sorry, couldn't stand to watch all 5+ minutes), that the audio and video are out of sync.

It's somewhat noticeable when Celine sings, but even a split second out of sync on a whistle looks way off.

I'm not saying the video isn't pre-recorded, but I'd bet that if it is, it would probably be much less obvious on an actual DVD or live.

Jason
Too many farewell concerts ... sync-lag.
arnie
antispam: No

Post by arnie »

You should try Impempe. They are not expensive, about $40,-, but they look and sound as if they are $100,-. Beautifully finished alluminium, and a very sweet sound, no chiff, not breathy. See the reviews here and at Gaelic Crossings.
arnie

Post by arnie »

You should try Impempe. Beautful made alluminium, nicely finished. And more important beautiful sound without chiff, very sweet. And the price? About $40,-. See Ian Turnbull's Impempe website, and the reviews here and on Gaelic Crossings
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Anyone have the whistle tablature for the LOTR tune? I know the main part but not that middle part that Galway plays on the whistle halfway through the video.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

cavefish wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:If you want a sweet toned whistle at a reasonable price for playing pretty songs, try a Hoover.
how is that white cap -i have a Bb Gen tube-is it worth the money
I like the Bb on the Gen nickel tube but the Gen Bb is pretty good as is. I think it's worth it.

My fav combo is the white cap D on a Gen brass. Really sweet. The best thing is to send Mack the tube so he can make sure it fits.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

To begin to get back on topic, when I ordered my Whitecap, I told Mack that I was going to put it on an Oak. It fits the Oak pretty well, except for one short segment. It's a snug fit at first, then there's the short section where there's complete slack, then it gets snug again. So, if you're tuning it, there's that short slack-y spot where the head won't stay. Luckily it's in tune when it's on a snug part, so it will stay.

I don't know if any of that makes sense in text, but it really hasn't been an issue for me so I don't have any complaints.

The Whitecap fits my Feadóg well. It's slightly loose, but still tight enough to stay put well enough.

However, it's just too loose a fit to use on my Generation. It just slides right off.

I'm not sure if I've tried it on my Clare (one-piece nickel).

Lately I'm liking the Whitecap on my Feadóg about as much as on my Oak.

Jason
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

To steer off-topic again for a moment ...

Folks, can I suggest we please give the Andrea Corr thing a rest, or take it to the other thread? Nearly all YouTube videos I've seen suffer from some mis-syncronization of video and audio. It's a function of the severe compression, and possibly decoding differences on different computers. So trying to argue about issues involving millisecond timing by watching a YouTube vid is just absurd, and a waste of digital ink.

Sorry for getting testy. Back now to the interesting topic of whistle tone ... :-)
Last edited by MTGuru on Wed May 16, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Jason Paul wrote:Lately I'm liking the Whitecap on my Feadóg ........Jason
Of the 40+ whistles I own, that's my favorite. Image
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

MTGuru wrote:To steer off-topic again for a moment ...

Folks, can I suggest we please give the Andrea Corr thing a rest, or take it to the other thread? Nearly all YouTube videos I've seen suffer from some mis-syncronization of sound and audio. It's a function of the severe compression, and possibly decoding differences on different computers. So trying to argue about issues involving millisecond timing by watching a YouTube vid is just absurd, and a waste of digital ink.

Sorry for getting testy. Back now to the interesting topic of whistle tone ... :-)
you are a genius :D i second that-thats old news
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

peteinmn wrote:
Jason Paul wrote:Lately I'm liking the Whitecap on my Feadóg ........Jason
Of the 40+ whistles I own, that's my favorite. Image
my nickel Bb tube is around 5/8 --

hoovers site says

Whitecap (mouthpiece only, fits most 1/2" metal barrels)

Whitecap (mouthpiece only, fits metal barrels other than 1/2")

what the other than mean does it fit loose or does it have an exspanding plastic ferrule inside
falkbeer

Re: Tin Whistle with Clearer tone?

Post by falkbeer »

lavalamp wrote:Hi,

I've been playing the Clarke Sweetone on and off for about three months now, mostly just little songs I had played on recorder before.

However, I don't like some of the breathy notes in this whistle. When I first got the whistle, I thought it was broken because the tone was so breathy, but I've learned sufficient breath control to get a pretty clear tone across the first two octaves. But nevertheless, D to F sharp in both the first and second octaves have this natural breathyness to them. It could be that I still suck, but a new whistle is only $8, so whatever.

I've been looking/hearing around, and it seems that the Generation whistles have a much more clearer tone than the Sweetone's. Is this true? How does Feadog compare? I want to stay in the key of D. I'm not interested in modifying whistles.

Also, I'm not much of a fan of Irish jig/reel/etc. music. I was interested in these tin whistles after hearing it in stuff like Titanic and Lord of the Rings where I thought it was especially beautiful. Irish music is sometimes fun too though.

I've read about the quality control issues with the Generation's. I don't mind playing my cards on ordering one, and if I get one I think it'll be from whistle&drum.

Thanks
If you are (like me) a recorder player I´d try the Susato. It sounds a bit like a recorder too. I´m not a big fan of the Susato, but I´ve tried it and I know there is a lot of whistle players out there who love it. If you are going to try the Generation whistle I´d recommend you trying out a Freeman tweaked whistle. They´re much purer and sweeter than the original.