Scratched the WHOA itch in a big way and guess what...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rsclosson

Scratched the WHOA itch in a big way and guess what...

Post by rsclosson »

...I am still itching.

Thanks to an unexpectedly high tax refund and a wife who is happy that my newfound musical instrument is not a $2,000 sax or $3,000 guitar, I just got a whole bunch of new whistles.

In addition to my original Feadog and the Feadog pro I got a few weeks ago, (as well as a Freeman Tweaked Shaw D) I am now the proud owner of:

Freeman Tweaked Clark Sweetone D
Freeman Tweaked Walton Mellow D
Clark Original D (unpainted)
Generation Brass Bb
Generation Nickel Bb

and finally

Whistlesmith Unpainted Low D

Yes, I feel pangs of guilt. Is there such a thing as Whistle Gluttony? In my defense I will say that the total price was still lower than what I have paid for a good saxophone mouthpiece.

Thus far the tweaked Mellow D is probably my favorite D whistle, but I do seem to end up loving whatever I play. The Walton just feels so much in control in all octaves and exceptional tone. The tweaked Sweetone is also great. (Lots to be said in favor of tweaking.)

the Generation Bbs are absolutely wonderful. Despite the things I have read here and elswhere regarding Generation whistles, I have 2 winners.
Either the quality control has improved, Bbs are more consistant or I have "lucked out."

The Whistlesmith low D is my first Low D so I have no basis for comparison. It is easy to finger and sounds good to my ear, and my wife's.

The itch is still there, however. I am trying to decide which way to go for, eventually, a higer end low D and starting to look at other keys.

Will this ever end? :boggle:
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Good start. :wink:

The Gen Bb is the beans!

As for 'whistle glutteny... "Hi, my name is annie. I haven't bought a new whistle for 3 months, two weeks and five days."... "Um... but I have had aquisitional thoughts...."
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't feel too bad. Despite buying several whistles, you still haven't splurged all that money.
Hold off buying any new ones for a while. Get really used to your current batch and you'll start to get a better idea of what you really want in a whistle with respect to sound, back pressure, etc.
Something like an F or G to fill in the gap between the Low D and the Bb might be worth considering.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Scratched the WHOA itch in a big way and guess what...

Post by rh »

rsclosson wrote:Yes, I feel pangs of guilt. Is there such a thing as Whistle Gluttony? In my defense I will say that the total price was still lower than what I have paid for a good saxophone mouthpiece.
this may make you feel better:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=27637
Scott McCallister

Re: Scratched the WHOA itch in a big way and guess what...

Post by Scott McCallister »

rsclosson wrote:...I am still itching.

Will this ever end? :boggle:
Scratching will just make it spread...

:D
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i still have pain -i want a new 2000.00 to 3000.00 sax---------actually a good 1500.00 YTS62 would do fine
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

cavefish wrote:i still have pain -i want a new 2000.00 to 3000.00 sax---------actually a good 1500.00 YTS62 would do fine
I feel you on the Yamaha front. They have really come into their own in the last decade or so for wind instruments. Some say even better than Mark VIIs, or in my case, Bach Strads.

One of these is in my future... Except with a gold brass bell.

There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

yamaha's contruction is fantastic---i played the bone in elementary --------did not do too much with i a sorry to say it has such a cool blues sound-you get about 4 of these babies together with some people who know how to play and they rock
keuka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keuka »

Ah my friend you have no idea, you have only lightly scratched the surface your WhOA itch will come back big time.

I agree with Paul keep the WhOA in check for a while play what you have and you will have a better idea what you want in a whistle.
Donal
rsclosson

Post by rsclosson »

After several days of playing these are some of my observations:
Both Generation Bbs are very nice to play. I will probably try the poster tack tweak on them but I really enjoy them the way they are.

The unpainted plain Clark is the worst of my lot. Lots of air and very little sound in return. It could probably benefit from a tweak but I am afraid to try any.

My tweaked Shaw and tweaked Clark Sweetone Ds are both great! The conical body really gives a nice sweet sound. In that sense they are similar but still different.

The Tweaked Walton Mellow D (Is that the one that is called a "Mellow Dog?") is fast becoming my favorite D. Perfect (for me) back pressure and easy to play in both octaves. A wonderful tone and great intonation.

Among my original whistles, I still love the raspiness of my original brass Feadog and I also really like the more refined but still "rough" tone of my Pro D.

It is still hard to comment on the Whistlesmith Low D. I am enjoying it but will eventually try to get another one for contrast. I am torn between getting a Howard or a Shaw.

Like a family of different children, I still love them all and will not put any up for "adoption."

WhOA is me!
Last edited by rsclosson on Wed May 16, 2007 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rsclosson

Post by rsclosson »

Double post. I don't know how to remove.
Tetra

Post by Tetra »

I agree; untweaked Clarkes, painted or unpainted, aren't great whistles. I have a Clarke C, and it is average, at best. Maybe it's just the tone.
Anyway, you got pretty lucky with those Generations. I got mine (Bb as well) in December and it was almost unplayable because there was so much plastic in the fipple. Of course, it's possible that quality control is going up....
Anyway, congratulations on your new whistles!
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

you need a release ,that appears to be your problem----what i do is i get all my whistles and flutes throw them on the bed , roll around naked and yell ''''''''Oh yea" ----that usualy works for about a week ------------i try to get the wife in on this :D but - anyway
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

rsclosson wrote:After several days of playing these are some of my observations:
Both Generation Bbs are very nice to play. I will probably try the poster tack tweak on them but I really enjoy them the way they are.

The unpainted plain Clark is the worst of my lot. Lots of air and very little sound in return. It could probably benefit from a tweak but I am afraid to try any.

My tweaked Shaw and tweaked Clark Sweetone Ds are both great! The conical body really gives a nice sweet sound. In that sense they are similar but still different.

The Tweaked Walton Mellow D (Is that the one that is called a "Mellow Dog?") is fast becoming my favorite D. Perfect (for me) back pressure and easy to play in both octaves. A wonderful tone and great intonation.

Among my original whistles, I still love the raspiness of my original brass Feadog and I also really like the more refined but still "rough" tone of my Pro D.

It is still hard to comment on the Whistlesmith Low D. I am enjoying it but will eventually try to get another one for contrast. I am torn between getting a Howard or a Shaw.

Like a family of different children, I still love them all and will not put any up for "adoption."

WhOA is me!
try painting the Clarke it will take alot of the tin sound out , and soak the wood plug in almond oil for about a minute----------it will turn into quit a nice quiet whistle