Céline Dion

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What do you think of Céline Dion?

She's ok.
20%
I can't take her seriously.
36%
SHE'S FANTABULOUS!!!
10%
I hate her (please explain).
22%
12%

Total votes: 50

Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Cranberry wrote: So basically you're saying Céline Dion looks like a real (albeit skinny) middle-aged woman, whereas Shania Twain looks like a barbie doll?
:really:

I didn't basically say anything.
What I actually said is viewable above. This is twice you have taken a fair comparison of physical appearance out of context to make it look like I am bagging on someone... Read my whole post

I have worked with "real" middle aged women. They don't look anywhere near as good as Celine Dion. Do us a favor and drop the all-creatures-are-beautiful-as-one-of-God's-creations bit. We get it..., from a higher philosophic plane, the physical stuff of our bodies really reduces to about $3.50 worth of chemicals and is the less important aspect of our existence, the bloom of beauty fades, yadda yadda yadda.

As someone who can appreciate Celine's beauty, you should also be able to recognize that she is more beautiful than some and not as beautiful as others. As the definition of beauty has evolved over time to arrive where we are today, Shania is better looking than Celine.

Some might say she is "stunning" oops they already did.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Scott McCallister wrote:
Cranberry wrote: So basically you're saying Céline Dion looks like a real (albeit skinny) middle-aged woman, whereas Shania Twain looks like a barbie doll?
:really:

I didn't basically say anything.
What I actually said is viewable above. This is twice you have taken a fair comparison of physical appearance out of context to make it look like I am bagging on someone... Read my whole post

I have worked with "real" middle aged women. They don't look anywhere near as good as Celine Dion. Do us a favor and drop the all-creatures-are-beautiful-as-one-of-God's-creations bit. We get it..., from a higher philosophic plane, the physical stuff of our bodies really reduces to about $3.50 worth of chemicals and is the less important aspect of our existence, the bloom of beauty fades, yadda yadda yadda.

As someone who can appreciate Celine's beauty, you should also be able to recognize that she is more beautiful than some and not as beautiful as others. As the definition of beauty has evolved over time to arrive where we are today, Shania is better looking than Celine.

Some might say she is "stunning" oops they already did.
Do you know why news sites have the main points of a story listed before the story actually starts? It's because many people don't or can't read the entire thing.

That's how it is with long posts. It's easier to reduce them to a couple sentences. That's all I was doing, relax. :)
Scott McCallister

Cranberry wrote:To all: I really enjoy this post; I've read every single reply and I appreciate what everybody has to say, especially all the people who voted "42." :)
vs.
Cranberry wrote:...the main points of a story listed before the story actually starts? It's because many people don't or can't read the entire thing.

That's how it is with long posts. It's easier to reduce them to a couple sentences.
So which is it? :-?

BTW - Most headlines I read don't contradict the content of the story they lead.

Jack

Post by Jack »

Scott McCallister wrote:
Cranberry wrote:To all: I really enjoy this post; I've read every single reply and I appreciate what everybody has to say, especially all the people who voted "42." :)
vs.
Cranberry wrote:...the main points of a story listed before the story actually starts? It's because many people don't or can't read the entire thing.

That's how it is with long posts. It's easier to reduce them to a couple sentences.
So which is it? :-?

BTW - Most headlines I read don't contradict the content of the story they lead.
Hmm...let me ask myself and get back to you. ;)

I don't know, I guess it's kinda both. I have read each reply, though.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I have worked with "real" middle aged women. They don't look anywhere near as good as Celine Dion.

:swear:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

...but it's not her looks that make her a pain in the arse is it? I mean, she's 39 and actually she can look quite beautiful at times and at others look pretty scary like in the photo posted on the last page. She kind of reminds me of Cher...well Cher at 39 anyway.
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Voted hate. I was largely ambivalent toward her until this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONt47Z0KZg

Demon spawn from hell, she is. :x
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

cowtime wrote:
I have worked with "real" middle aged women. They don't look anywhere near as good as Celine Dion.

no joke.......
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I voted 42 because there was no option for having no opinion about her.
Scott McCallister

cowtime wrote:

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:... no joke
Good God! What have I done!? Hell hath no fury like a "real" middle aged woman scorned...

My apologies ladies, I'm sure if you had an entourage of dieticians, stylists, trainers, lighting experts, and a staff of hair and makeup artists, you would look just as nice. :)

Honestly from what snips I have seen on "America's Next Top Model", it is mostly hair and makeup. The right clothes go a long way too.

brianc

Post by brianc »

Buckeye67 wrote:Voted hate. I was largely ambivalent toward her until this:

:o

No. Must.... vanquish .... that.... image... from... mind.... too... creepy.... for... words..... must ... erase... from memory... UGGHHH....

:devil:
Jack

Post by Jack »

brianc wrote:

No. Must.... vanquish .... that.... image... from... mind.... too... creepy.... for... words..... must ... erase... from memory... UGGHHH....

I don't like that performance either, but I submit that good artists can have bad performances. I'd like to see Melissa Etherdige do that song, actually...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote: Perhaps I live in an ideal world, but to me if you're ugly that doesn't stop you from being talented.
No. It keeps you, though, from being hot.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dale wrote:
Cranberry wrote: Perhaps I live in an ideal world, but to me if you're ugly that doesn't stop you from being talented.
No. It keeps you, though, from being hot.
Paris Hilton, baby! My friends accuse me of saying "That's hot" too much, and I always blame it on Paris. It's perhaps too easy to blame stuff on her. :D
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

brianc wrote:

Like I said...