The Dance Music of Seamus Ennis

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ceadach
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

I once read "Seamus Ennis never played for dancers"

This is called "The DANCE music of Seamus Ennis"

I read that too somewhere..... Oh!!! I know.
Kevin L.Reitmann Wrote:
Quote:
Ennis apparently refused to play the pipes for dancers, his music was for listening not dancing - something that was said about various pipers in the old days, too. That might explain why people are bothered by his shifting tempos, or the effect his ornamentation has on the rhythm - certain ornaments he did like the "shiver" trill or the ABC triplet (which you hear in the opening of the Bucks) sound like stuff that would trip up a dancer.. .

Now, that IS ironic.
Well as someone wiser than us said "never say never". I do remember reading somewhere that Ennis did play for dancers in his early days. Perhaps he gave up playing for dancers on pipes after he became established. In any event, this is great news and I look forward to seeing this book.
"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
Muhammad

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."
T.S. Eliot
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It could also be that when you play for dancers, the dancers are the focus of attention, not the musician. Ennis certainly wasn't afraid of the limelight. Perhaps as he got older he just didn't want to share it... :wink:
PJ
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

"Dance music" is just used in opposition to "airs". Whether you play for dancers or not, jigs or reels... are dance tunes. :)
djm

Post by djm »

I haven't received An Píobaire yet, so I didn't have the ordering details, and wasn't aware of the special price. I did contact NPU from their store site and placed an order, though. I haven't heard back from them yet. Has anyone else?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Got my AP today and there's nothing in the ordering info there that Chris hasn't mentioned, so contacting NPU and checking their store daily is about as good as you'll do it seems.
It's 480 pages long, too...if they'd included the airs it'd be like the OED of piping. Hope JOBM brings some of his texts to California for us to have a look see.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Better yet, he should publish them anyway. Hope he does a talk on airs this October
Harry

Post by Harry »

Does it seems sensible to include airs in a volume titled "The Dance Music of..."???

When you see the size of it, it will become clear why there is a need for (at least) another volume for airs, songs, stories etc...

The printer estimated at one point that "The Dance Music..." alone will weigh 5 kilos... thats a lot of dancing....or, preferably, a lot of listening with a nice pint, a girl on your arm, hat on the side of your head etc etc.

Regards,

Harry.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Does it seems sensible to include airs in a volume titled "The Dance Music of..."???
Ofcourse it doesn't but until the announcement talk was always of 'The Music of Seamus Ennis', hence my surprise. It makes good sense dividing things up. So if I read you correctly another volume is envisaged?
Harry

Post by Harry »

It strikes me the best person to ask would be Pat Mitchell. You know him, don't you?

Regards,

Harry.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I do and I will. Jimmy spent a lot of time writing the airs, I know that much.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Fascinating.

Regards,

Harry.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Harry wrote:Fascinating.
As in, "A Fascinating Hobby"?

:wink:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Has anyone actually received a reply from NPU to enquiries about the book?

So far it hasn't appeared in the on-line shop and I don't want to hassle them by sending in another query (after not receiving a reply to the first one).

cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Book and NPU

Post by cquick »

I too have sent emails to NPU with no responses. It's OK to give an advance purchase discount but there appears to be no way to use it!

Chuck
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Possibly it's just not back from the printer's yet. Patience required.