Really stupid fishy food question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Really stupid fishy food question

Post by chrisoff »

This is probably a really stupid question. But say you've got a trout fillet which you then fry, do you eat the skin?

I keep buying and cooking fish fillets, but I always pick the meat off the skin before I eat it. Is there a good reason for me doing that or am I just being an idiot? The internet has failed me and I can't find a good answer.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

The skin won't hurt you to eat. Just don't try to eat the bones.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The skin and meat closest to the skin has more flavor. Some like it, others do not.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

It depends on how scaly the type of fish is, or how large the scales are. It might not be too pleasant. They used to sell fish cleaning knives with a descaler along the back edge. I think this is very much a matter of personal choice.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

djm wrote:It depends on how scaly the type of fish is, or how large the scales are.
My skill and knowledge is limited. All fish is bought boned, scaled, cleaned from the fish counter at the supermarket.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

All fish have scales, but not all need to be de-scaled. Trout or Salmon dont need to be descaled as their scales are basically fleshy. I always leave the skin on trout, dont actually know anyone that removes it, of course its a personal thing though.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
hyldemoer

Re: Really stupid fishy food question

Post by hyldemoer »

chrisoff wrote:This is probably a really stupid question. But say you've got a trout fillet which you then fry, do you eat the skin?
Mercury collects in the muscle all over a fish
but the lipid soluble toxins tend to collect in a fish's fat directly under the skin.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

hyldemoer wrote:
chrisoff wrote:This is probably a really stupid question. But say you've got a trout fillet which you then fry, do you eat the skin?
but the lipid soluble toxins tend to collect in a fish's fat directly under the skin.
I don't eat enough for that to be an issue (pesky fish counter is usually closed by the time I drive to Asda) and I dislike buying two fillets in a packet when i can only eat one at a time.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I love fish skin. Yum. Toxins ahoy.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Trout... yech. I'd much rather have a nice piece of cod. But in the instance of both trout and salmon, I scrape the skin off.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

love salmon skin... In general I would broil the fish and eat the skin as well. If it were sauced, I might remove the skin for esthetics. Perch has scales that I would scrape off using a fruit corer ( the jaggy edge part)
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

From the point of view of personal preference, if you like it, eat it. If you don’t, don’t eat it.

In less scales are actually dangerous sharp objects or just unpleasant, texture wise, it shouldn’t be an issue.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

chrisoff wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:
I don't eat enough for that to be an issue (pesky fish counter is usually closed by the time I drive to Asda) and I dislike buying two fillets in a packet when i can only eat one at a time.
Actually id be a bit more concerned buying shop bought slamon or trout, theses are farmed fish, and the stuff that they are fed on is chokka full of weird sh*t to dye yhe meat a palatable pinky hue!!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

flanum wrote: Actually id be a bit more concerned buying shop bought slamon or trout, theses are farmed fish, and the stuff that they are fed on is chokka full of weird sh*t to dye yhe meat a palatable pinky hue!!
Yeah I know, but the point I made above is that the bloody fish counter is always closed so I'm only buying fish from the supermarket about once or twice a month at the moment. And being a single male who never remembers to take things out to defrost, I don't bother buying more than I cook in one go so the packets of multiple fillets aren't good for me.

So my mercury intake is going to be low no matter where the fish is sourced from.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I love the skin.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca