New Forum Request - is dead. I have dropped it.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
johnz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnz »

I kinda like the idea of a building forum, but I don't know how much long term interest there would be. It seems to me that there was a whistle building forum connected to C&F a few boards ago, but it didn't generate a great deal of posts long term. There are more people involved now so it may be different, although I'm not sure that it would do any better than the previous attempt.
Take care, Johnz
DON'T DRINK SOAP!
KEEP OUT OF EYE!
DILUTE! DILUTE!
OK!
Paul

Post by Paul »

On 2002-10-19 21:03 Johnz wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are more people involved now so it may be different

Exactly. :smile:
serpent

Post by serpent »

I don't see my desire to improve my whistle-making skills as a negative, whether or not it improves my sales. Frankly, at this juncture, the latter would be a distinct negative, as it would increase wait times for new customers.

Still, your point is a good one, Loren, but the motive I infer as being ascribed to my request is inaccurate, if I'm reading it aright. My motive is simple, and has been stated a number of times. I want the forum for focus, nothing more. I want it on C&F because it's the biggest and most popular, therefore the most likely to survive, nothing more.

I do, in fact, have a good deal to offer in terms of manufacturing knowhow, and music in general. I'm a machinist, (tool and die maker) for starters, though no longer in the Local. I have also studied at the Kansas City Conservatory of Music, back when it was part of Kansas City University, rather than UMKC. I've played various brass and woodwinds in the University band and orchestra, and in the Kansas City Civic Orchestra. I've been offered positions in the Kansas City Philharmonic, and scholarships to Julliard, based on my performances. I've assiduously avoided mentioning these items, but since some people choose to call my musical expertise to question, along with my ability to make high-quality instruments, I figured it's about time I stated them.

Yes, I am certainly not an accomplished whistler, but I do understand music theory, along with the physics involved in woodwind construction. And although some find certain of my whistles crude in appearance, that is an affectation I have chosen. I refer you to the reviews of same on this very board, which state unequivocally that they are in tune, sound good, and are easy to play. What, precisely, the hell else can anyone want from me, other than tunability, which I am adding to the mix this very weekend?

I, and a lot of others, would like for this new forum to happen. If (edit) "collective" you want to deny this to us, so be it, but I think it's about time to stop the badinage and let Dale and Rich decide. I will abide by whatever decision they render.

This is not a castigation of Loren. I sincerely appreciate dissenting opinions, and take nothing that is not specifically directed at me in an ad hominem sense, personally.

Thanks to all for participating. AFAIC, this thread is terminated. I will not post more than mere "keep-alive" until I hear from Dale and/or Rich.
Regards to all,
Bill Whedon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: serpent on 2002-10-20 04:12 ]</font>
serpent

Post by serpent »

There is a good thread of discussion about the technical aspects of building keyed whistles in forum topic:

Keyed Whistle

FYI,
Bill Whedon
Paul

Post by Paul »

Bill, have you heard from Dale or Rich yet?
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bill,

No one is trying to deny you or anyone else anything here, you asked for opinions, and so they were given. Besides, it's not for any of us to decide anyway, only Dale and Rich can grant or deny your request, and everyone knows that.

Regarding the other thing - your inference is inaccurate: I made no comment on your motives, I simply pointed out that, from a certain perspective, it could appear that the proposed new forum might cross a certain non-commercial/commercial line, and that is something that may, or may not, be taken into consideration.

As far as your whistles and credentials go....hey man, whatever.
Loren
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-10-20 13:29, Loren wrote:
Bill,

No one is trying to deny you or anyone else anything here, you asked for opinions, and so they were given. Besides, it's not for any of us to decide anyway, only Dale and Rich can grant or deny your request, and everyone knows that.

Regarding the other thing - your inference is inaccurate: I made no comment on your motives, I simply pointed out that, from a certain perspective, it could appear that the proposed new forum might cross a certain non-commercial/commercial line, and that is something that may, or may not, be taken into consideration.

As far as your whistles and credentials go....hey man, whatever.
Loren
Okay, thanks for clarifying the reasoning. I agree that a division that would allow commercial posts is not acceptable, and specified same in my request to Dale (from whom I have not heard, as yet).

I didn't think anyone was trying to deny me anything, and I did request dissenting opinions as well as the "cool idea!" variety. Getting these dissenting opinions is, therefore, completely expected, and a Good Thing. I won't ever beat anyone up for disagreeing with me in a relatively polite and logical fashion.

As to my "whatever" credentials, I felt it was a good time to expose a bit more of my background in music, mechanics, and technology. Lots of people enjoy knowing where one comes from. For example, I didn't know you had an iterest in martial arts. Until 2000, when my heart decided for me that I needed to slow down, I taught kickboxing and kickbox-aerobics. I miss that quite a lot. Somehow, the VersaClimber and a set of free-weights just ain't the same... :smile:

Well, back to the workshop!
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-10-20 13:10, Paul wrote:
Bill, have you heard from Dale or Rich yet?
Nope, nary a peep! Hmmmmmm...
Cheers,
BW
serpent

Post by serpent »

Dale? Rich? Anybody there?

Do we need more discussion, or are we discounting it, or are we gonna give it a try, or what?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Bill Whedon
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

As has been stated it's all up to Dale & Rich
about the forum but I really doubt very many
of the well established , high end whistlesmiths
would participate in a significant way. Why?
(1)To busy trying to catch up on orders, (2)
They know very well instrument making
(i.e whistlesmithing) takes a real committment
as well as talent to do well and should include
handson study with a master. It's not something
you learn from posts on a forum and all that
forum might do is promote amateurism of a sort with substandard whistles everywhere you turn
being the result. I'm actually agreeing with Loren
here as it could well be the blind leading the
blind.. Again, it's not for me to say but my
experience says the guys & gals with the most
knowledge and experience aren't going to
be passing it on in a forum and that sort of
defeats the purpose . Just my ever so humble
opinion.

Kelhorn Mike
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Holy Crap!

Without taking sides here, I for one would like to get these makers into their own forum. I cannot believe the grief it seems to cause even discussing whistlemaking. Every major thread blow-up (ie..It's Sickening) seems to be related to whistle making etc..

For crying out loud...just make another forum...geesh Image
serpent

Post by serpent »

I'm not sure about "blind leading the blind" as being entirely accurate. I've seen several makers on C&F, and a couple of them, at least, (besides me, but I'm one of the blind at the moment) have expressed support for such a forum.

I'm also not so certain that all or most of the various fires around PostStructural have revolved around whistlemaking, but if so, then I think it's our bound _duty_ to clean up this forum and get the new one under way ASAP!! :smile:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I for one think its a good idea, and not necessarily a schism in whistle-boarding. I thought the IrTrad board was/is a great idea, and it has served a tremendous purpose. I don't mind that it isn't a high-use board -- what is in there is 100% what it advertises.

When I want chat/banter/idle conversation, I come to this board. When I want a specific piece of information, or to see someone's opinion of certain things, I go to a board where that is the focus.

Considering how rough this board can be on builders, I think it would be nice to have an area where they can exchange ideas. I've run into two or three people on this board who really want to make a whistle. Not SELL a whistle or become a PROFESSIONAL, just get ideas. Wouldn't it be nice to have a place that other whistlesmiths monitor for questions? Quite honestly, I probably wouldn't even look at it, except to ask my question about conical vs cylindrical, or ask about this thing called 'radiusing'.

Anyway, my two cents.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
serpent

Post by serpent »

I've gone back and re-read Kelhorn Mike's post about "blind leading the blind", and just have an observation or two:

Let me begin by stating that I've met nobody here who is such a total cipher that I couldn't learn something useful from him/her. There is nothing wrong with amateurs teaching amateurs. It's an accepted and necessary part of modern-day colleges and universities ("student teachers"), and for the most part, works well there.

Although I'm not expert in whistle construction (yet!), I do know all about lathe and milling machine operation. I know how to make highly-specialized tools and dies to speed up that construction, and about processes for forming metal quickly and easily into such things as instrument keys. I can and will share this knowledge with anyone who's curious. And there are people on this board with whom I'd like to discuss aspects of whistlemaking, without having to dig through interminable posts on every other subject WRT whistles, and then some. And I know that I'm not alone in that desire.

Frankly, even if I knew absolutely nothing about whistle fabrication, and wanted to learn from those who do, I would still want a venue in which to discuss it with a minimum of fuss and chiff, which venue is not especially well-suited to PostStructural.

(Is my 2p getting close to a pound, yet??)
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Paul

Post by Paul »

Bill,

Please check your private messages.