stupid stupid stupid

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

stupid stupid stupid

Post by chas »

I was cutting up an onion this evening for supper and managed to slice off part of the end of my left middle finger. Just a little on the side (like 10 to noon if I hold it up palm facing me), but enough that it bled like hell and is still bleeding 3 hours later.

That's not so stupid. What follows is what makes it stupid. It's not nearly as bad as last time. Last time was before I played the flute, but I think I was off the whistle for about 6 weeks.

I can't believe I did this twice, although it's not exactly the same as last time, which was slicing lettuce. (Coincidentally, my brother cut off the end of his finger slicing lettuce.) My wife heard me scream and asked jokingly, "Do I need to get a panty liner?" The answer was an embarrassed yes. They're great for something bleeding profusely.

So about a month worth of listening before I can play again. :tantrum:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Chas,

Do I need to send you one of these?

Keep all your digits intact with the Rapala Fillet Glove. A comfy blend of natural and synthetic fibers with stainless steel provides the best protection ever.
I know it's a bit late.

Here's to healthy healing! :pint: Take a bit of pain killer.

Jordan
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

OUCH!!!! :swear:
Maybe you can get a neoprene bandage that will seal the tone hole, when you play? When I cut my finger a while back, I experimented with duck tape and electrical tape to try to get a good seal, on the band aid. Of course you couldn't try this right away, as it would hurt to much.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Post by Denny »

Ah, Charlie...the Neil Young school of slicing... :wink:
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey Charlie,

You may want to treat yourself to an emergency room visit, just to be on the safe side. After all, you want to be back to playing as soon as possible, right?

After you come back from the ER, you will probably need a beeranquilizer, (unless they prescribed something), so go easy, and hope for the best!

I cut myself the other day while preparing a meal, just because I didn't want to take the time to do it right-and it's just not worth it!-and my advice to others in the same situation-take the time, you'll regret it if you don't!

Fast healing, Charlie-but definitely get it checked out-you may need a stitch or two to help it along.

Be well, ~Barry
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

One is supposed to TEAR lettuce! Not slice it! Tsk!
Cotelette d'Agneau
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Lambchop wrote:One is supposed to TEAR lettuce! Not slice it! Tsk!
Exactly my thought. Or, they make plastic lettuce knives for this. Get better Chas.

And, BTW, ALWAYS have the blender unplugged when adding food. Put the lid on before plugging it in. I was grinding some graham crackers for a cheesecake crust (nearly 30 years ago), and feeding them in from the top. Blade grabbed the cracker and pulled it down, and I just didn't have enough time to let go. I still have the scar, but did not lose the finger tip.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I wish you the prompt restoration! Take care!
Happy whistling!
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

kkrell wrote:I was grinding some graham crackers for a cheesecake crust (nearly 30 years ago), and feeding them in from the top. Blade grabbed the cracker and pulled it down, and I just didn't have enough time to let go. I still have the scar, but did not lose the finger tip.
Cheesecake making is a risky business but someone has to do it!

I have had some minor finger mishaps lately myself.

Careful, everyone!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

a couple of years ago, i had a major finger cutting accident just moments before we were to go to church so that i could play the guitar at Mass. my finger way still bleeding and seeping through the bandage. there was no way i was going to play a guitar, so i got to play the harmonica all through Mass. (this was before i learned to play the whistle.) i just told folks i was really holy and developed stigmata.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
sclery

Post by sclery »

I got bitten twice by a parrot today. It wasn't too keen on me moving it's cage back to where it was... took quite a large chunk of skin off the pad of my 2nd finger on my left hand, and at one of the creases. Yes, it got me twice before i could move my hand away :oops:

No playing anything for a while. :evil:

Hope you discover some nice music in the month ahead Chas.
chas

Post by chas »

Thanks for all the well-wishes. To answer a few comments:

Jordan, I just might consider Kevlar gloves. Another in the long line of stupid hings I've done was when I was working in a metal shop years ago. I was sanding pieces on a belt sander. They were hot off the press and still very oily, and they were, I thought, too slippery to handle with gloves on. I sanded off the ends of four fingers before I wised up. (This is a particularly nasty injury, as it's 75% cut and 75% burn.) I started wearing gloves and worked about 90% as fast. I don't wear gloves in the kitchen because I don't think I could handle the food properly, but I bet once I try them I'm sure I'll be fine.

Lamby, Kevin, whether I slice lettuce or not depends on what it's being used for. I like it shredded really fine for tacos or burritos, much finer than I could ever tear it. For everything else, I do tear it.

Jon, great suggestion for the neoprene bandage!

Many thanks and best wishes to all.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
michael c

Post by michael c »

I've heard it said that the only difference between chopping up an onion and a bodhrán (or is it a flute? - depends on who you listen to) is that you only cry when chopping up an onion. I don't know whether this applies to fingers. I'd say it might.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

sclery wrote:I got bitten twice by a parrot today. It wasn't too keen on me moving it's cage back to where it was... took quite a large chunk of skin off the pad of my 2nd finger on my left hand, and at one of the creases. Yes, it got me twice before i could move my hand away :oops:

No playing anything for a while. :evil:

Hope you discover some nice music in the month ahead Chas.
You must have one of the larger parrots. That's risky.
My little conure can give a nasty little bite, but he has yet to tear off a chunk of flesh.....

Chas, my sympathies. It must throb like a mother..........

M
cocusflute

Normal...

Post by cocusflute »

My old friend Arnold Steinhart is in the top echelon of classical violin players. In the sixties he went climbing in the Alps with a mountain guide. He told me that as he was climbing two thoughts came to him: first, that he might damage his hand and not be able to play the fiddle any more. The second thought was one of relief, that if he did hurt his hand badly he would be able to live a normal life.
So chas, enjoy being normal while you can.