Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I'm going to have to side with those who hear the low G#/Ab note in this performance, as it's definitely there.
A standard Bb whistle simply can't play that note, and the right pinkie stretch for a Bb+ whistle would be a little tough for most people... plus Andrea's definitely got a standard brass Generation Bb in this video.
It would be possible to play the tune note-for-note on a low Eb whistle without even the need for cross-fingering, but you're most likely hearing a studio edited whistle track while watching Andrea pretend to play it live.
The movie version was indeed played by Tony Hinnigan on a high B whistle, but his version also includes the impossible extra low note.
It's no problem to believe that the movie version was studio edited to achieve the extra low note, but it's something you're just not going to pull off in a live performance with a standard high whistle.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

khl wrote:
blackhawk wrote:It was very clearly played by the guy on the Grassy Knoll. (for those few of you old enough to remember the JFK assassination). :D
I see. So the whistle (which was made by Spillane as he sat on the grassy knoll) was actually played by Lee Harvey Oswald and then Jack Ruby shot him on behalf of the Corrs to shut him up. 8)
Elemtary, my dear Watson. 8)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

So lets say it was all synced. Now what?

JP
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

UH? LBW
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

JohnPalmer wrote:So lets say it was all synced. Now what?

JP
Played or synced by someone as beautiful as Andrea - who really cares whether she actually played or not?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

khl wrote:
blackhawk wrote:It was very clearly played by the guy on the Grassy Knoll. (for those few of you old enough to remember the JFK assassination). :D
I see. So the whistle (which was made by Spillane as he sat on the grassy knoll) was actually played by Lee Harvey Oswald and then Jack Ruby shot him on behalf of the Corrs to shut him up. 8)

:lol:
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

That's one magic whistle!
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I think raindog has it.

It's definiteley in the original key (B) Generation do not make a B.

The low note is a production trick - a drop-in from another whistle perhaps? I'd hazard to say that what we hear there is all or part pre-recorded - most likely from the original movie recording. If that's so then it's Tony's performance we are hearing - sure sounds like it.

That said - The lovely Andrea certainly seems to know how the tune is played.

This kind of thing is not uncommon with feature performances - there is too much at stake to take the risk of a bum-note in such a high profile gig - so the pre-recorded stuff gets used.

It's notable that the audience seems more responsive to the whistle bits than the vocal stuff - oh mighty *whistle* can nothing stand in your path??
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

One more thought - although Andrea can sync all day in an arena show as far as I'm concerned. *sigh*

I'm sure they play outdoor stages, as well as having some funky wind currents on stage (all the better to move her shining hair about). Rather than having a gust of wind take out half a whistle line, their solution might be to "enhance" the whistle.... kind of like the taps in Riverdance.
:)
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

tubafor wrote:.... kind of like the taps in Riverdance. :)
Oh man, the taps in Riverdance are faked?! :o Is nothing sacred? If becoming a famous musician means you get to wiggle your fingers along with a recording, why are we trying so hard to become better whistle players? :)
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

medit8b1 wrote:If becoming a famous musician means you get to wiggle your fingers along with a recording, why are we trying so hard to become better whistle players? :)
Well somebody's gotta actually do the playing and since you're not the "famous musician"... :P
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

This has to be one of the goofiest threads I've seen here in a while. It's got everything -- sex, violence, mystery, consipiracy theories, and aliens! Well, that last one is my own theory about Céline Dion, but that's a diffferent thread entirely.

Assuming the whistle track is prerecorded, the best candidate for the crypto whistle involved is an Ab whistle with A major fingering. The ornaments and phrasing/fingering all fit. That low Ab note is xxx xxx. Unlike a low Eb whistle, the timbre is correct, and that high run before the modulation to G major is easy. On a low Eb, it would involve running up to a high F# in the third octave, and the third octave timbre would be obvious. An Ab whistle would be standard in any studio whistler's bag.
Denny

Post by Denny »

tis goofy...tis very goofy

Been about a year since Chief Wanganui last posted
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:This has to be one of the goofiest threads I've seen here in a while. It's got everything -- sex, violence, mystery, consipiracy theories, and aliens! Well, that last one is my own theory about Céline Dion, but that's a diffferent thread entirely.
I beg to differ - Celine's alien status would fit right in this thread. Out with it , MT.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

I don't care how cheesy it gets, Celine is frickin amazing.

And the lady possibly playing the whistle is beautiful.

Causual observations.