Whistles made of Junk?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistles made of Junk?

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Came across these videos from Paul Marshall of Bing-Bang-Bong (was he a former "Blue Man"?)

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Junkdojo

The "Tuned" plastic coke bottles in the "Fujara" video are very cool! There are several on making "junk" whistles and you MUST see "Nadishana".

Have any of you made Whistles or Instruments from plain old Junk?
http://www.youtube.com/group/junkmusic
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Water weasles are often made from PVC plumbing, and I make em out if standard 1/2'' copper plumbing tube. The end result (in my case) is still sometimes junk!! :lol:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
lordofthestrings

Water weasles are often made from PVC plumbing, and I make em out if standard 1/2'' copper plumbing tube. The end result (in my case) is still sometimes junk!! :lol:
- - - Spence - - -
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've never made a whistle, but I've had a couple of out-of-tune Soodulms that were junk.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Jetboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jetboy »

Whilst not technically 'junk' I make most of my whistles from wood that has been gleaned from the woodland/hedgerow floor. Or from wood that was previously something else - like a chair leg or door frame. I like to think that otherwise useless firewood can be made into something beautiful.
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: Whistles made of Junk?

Post by MarcusR »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Came across these videos from Paul Marshall of Bing-Bang-Bong (was he a former "Blue Man"?)
Don't know if Paul ever been a "Blue-man" (would not surprise me if he has), the setting of the Blue Man Group seem to vary and the true identities of the blue men on stage a well kept secret.

I do know that Paul is a very talanted multiinstrumentalist, always willing to contribute and share his knowledge.
He is also 1/4 of the group Different drums of Ireland, and a member of this forum :wink:

If you haven't yet, visit his websites:
drumdojo, bodojo and Marshallarts.ie(fascinating combination of art, design, physics and engineering)

Cheers!
/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

lordofthestrings wrote:Water weasles are often made from PVC plumbing, and I make em out if standard 1/2'' copper plumbing tube. The end result (in my case) is still sometimes junk!! :lol:
You should note that "Water Weasels" is a brand name, not just a generic term. You do not make Water Weasels, you make similar whistles to the Water Weasel. The late and much missed Glenn Schultz made the Water Weasels. His family may continue the line.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

anniemcu wrote:
lordofthestrings wrote:Water weasles are often made from PVC plumbing, and I make em out if standard 1/2'' copper plumbing tube. The end result (in my case) is still sometimes junk!! :lol:
You should note that "Water Weasels" is a brand name, not just a generic term. You do not make Water Weasels, you make similar whistles to the Water Weasel. The late and much missed Glenn Schultz made the Water Weasels. His family may continue the line.
Lordof therings may well speak for himself, but I suspect that he was NOT implying that he himself made a Water Weasle, more that whilst the WW was made from PVC his own whistles were made from copper
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

One of my best low D's was a shower curtain rod sticking up out of my neighbor's can on trash day.

One man's whistle is another man's trash.

Oops that just slipped out :oops:
lordofthestrings

Water weasles are often made from PVC plumbing, and I make em out if standard 1/2'' copper plumbing tube. The end result (in my case) is still sometimes junk!!

Lordof therings may well speak for himself, but I suspect that he was NOT implying that he himself made a Water Weasle, more that whilst the WW was made from PVC his own whistles were made from copper
Anniemcu, I do know water weasle is a brand name, I own one. I was refrencing that they are made of PVC. As Jetboy said, I make my own whistles out of copper, and do not claim them to be water weasles, or a copy of the design. Mine are actually dubbed "Fireflys".
- - - Spence - - -
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

lordofthestrings wrote:
Water weasles are often made from PVC plumbing, and I make em out if standard 1/2'' copper plumbing tube. The end result (in my case) is still sometimes junk!!

Anniemcu, I do know water weasle is a brand name, I own one. I was refrencing that they are made of PVC. As Jetboy said, I make my own whistles out of copper, and do not claim them to be water weasles, or a copy of the design. Mine are actually dubbed "Fireflys".
I wasn't sure, given the way the post was worded. Just didn't want you to get anyone mad at you. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com