Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I just got off the phone with Andrea and she told me she's not whistle syncing. Then the conversation moved on to other matters. Wait. Sorry, that was one of those fantasies I'm also confusing with those realities.
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Andrea could just stand there and toot on an upturned parsnip and I wouldn't have any problem with it.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

I say it's the audience that's pulling a Milli Vanilli.
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Key_of_D wrote:Obviously most of the people disussing that whistle on that youtube don't have much of a clue as to what they're talking about. It's not a low B or a low D, it's very much a Generation Bb in brass from what I can see. I'm going to pull out my very same Generation Bb brass whistle and play that tune for comparison - whether Andrea is actually playing in that movie or not.

As for it being a fake......... :really: Never heard of a fake Generation whistle... They're cheap enough already, how much "faker" could they be? If someone actually went through the effort to replicate a Generation whistle, they're sorely waisting their time when they could just spend 8 dollars! :)

-Eric
i did not meana fake whistle , give me some credit --------i meant she is faking the playing
Last edited by cavefish on Thu May 10, 2007 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Aanvil wrote:Andrea could just stand there and toot on an upturned parsnip and I wouldn't have any problem with it.
http://www.gemueseorchester.org
egreen

Post by egreen »

Wanderer wrote: Now mind you, I'm not saying that Andrea's not faking it...she seems a little far from the microphone at some points, without the volume changing.
It's called "compression", and it is standard for these kinds of live performance situations. From what I can tell of the sound, it appears to be a nice tube-type compressor or at least a digital one with a good tube simulator (gives a slightly mellower edge to the sound compared to a digital compressor which adds a bit of "chiff" to the sound). I've seen other videos of her playing a Little Black Whistle and it's pretty clear to me that this is going on there too, comparing the sound I hear from her vs. the sound I actually hear from my own Little Black Whistle. You might say that this sort of post-processing isn't "authentic", but apparently so.

If you want to simulate this, you'll need to hook up a good microphone to a mixer, and either run the result through a tube-type (or at least tube-simulating) compression stompbox or, if that's not in the cards, into a computer hard drive recorder after which you apply compression and a tube-simulator-type "warmth" filter. I can tell you from experience that you'll end up with something pretty similar.

As for the fact that part of the audio seems off-sync and the other part does not, if the track was originally in stereo with the whistle on one channel and the vocals on another, it's pretty easy to get out of sync between the two channels when YouTube does their mixdown to a single channel, depending on what YouTube is doing. Note that I don't upload videos to YouTube, so I'm not completely familiar with the process there to know exactly what went wrong here.

In short: Most likely she's playing, and standard production effects applied to the results to give the sound you hear.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

cavefish wrote:celine dont sync---------------but that gen never sounded so good-----thats a fake
Sure sounds like you're saying that the whistle is a fake... I mean I guess that could be misconstruded as something else... :really: You may have very well meant one thing, but you completely said another from what I gathered... :)

And someone said that the first note Andrea played on that song was low Ab. To my knowledge, "low Ab" doesn't exist on a normal Generation Bb whistle. If my ears are any good... it sure sounded like the first note she played was Eb, or, with the same fingering on the more commonly used D whistle, would yield the note of G.

-Eric
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

Seems a minor point, but it seems to me that Cavefish is saying that the whistle in the video is a Generation but the recording is not a using a gen. That would imply the whistling equivalent of lip-syncing. I don't know if that's the case or not (haven't actually watched the video yet) and I'm not trying to put words in Cavefish' mouth but it seems fairly clearly stated to me. If I'm wrong in my interpretation, please feel free to let me have it. :tomato:
scheky

Post by scheky »

Ahhh, to be that whistle....yum.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I have to say that my viewing of the video suggests to me that she's more likely whistle-syncing than not. I'm not sure why. Does she ever play a low whistle?
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Key_of_D wrote:
cavefish wrote:celine dont sync---------------but that gen never sounded so good-----thats a fake
Sure sounds like you're saying that the whistle is a fake... I mean I guess that could be misconstruded as something else... :really: You may have very well meant one thing, but you completely said another from what I gathered... :)

And someone said that the first note Andrea played on that song was low Ab. To my knowledge, "low Ab" doesn't exist on a normal Generation Bb whistle. If my ears are any good... it sure sounded like the first note she played was Eb, or, with the same fingering on the more commonly used D whistle, would yield the note of G.

-Eric
whatever
Last edited by cavefish on Thu May 10, 2007 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

jlunt wrote:Seems a minor point, but it seems to me that Cavefish is saying that the whistle in the video is a Generation but the recording is not a using a gen. That would imply the whistling equivalent of lip-syncing. I don't know if that's the case or not (haven't actually watched the video yet) and I'm not trying to put words in Cavefish' mouth but it seems fairly clearly stated to me. If I'm wrong in my interpretation, please feel free to let me have it. :tomato:
my pal :thumbsup:
Anita's Dad

Corrs

Post by Anita's Dad »

A GREAT Irish musician (who now lives in Amerikay) does a Corr's song and always says something to the effect that
"'Corr' is an old irish word that means 'really hot babe.' "
Oh, and she's definitely faking it.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I don't do absolute pitch very well, but it sure doesn't sound like a Bb to me.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

It plays as a Bb whistle, starting on a G, as speaking about a D whistle, but when she plays the lowest note in the third measure, that would be like playing a C, as if the whistle was longer and had a 7th hole. Maybe she had an extension put on. I doubt it, but who knows.