New Chieftain V3

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
medit8b1
antispam: No

New Chieftain V3

Post by medit8b1 »

Phil Hardy said he ws sending out new chieftain V3's to nine lucky people for the purposes of review. Any of those lucky people forum members? Just curious if you got them yet. I emailed Phil to see when the rest of us peons might be able to get our hands on them and he said this week!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It's very pretty. Looks like a giant Q-1.

New Kerry Cheiftain

Alba's Q-1 style
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

does...doesn't it

I'll be under my desk
canpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by canpiper »

I'm one of the lucky ones. I'll be posting a review once I get my hands on it.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

anniemcu wrote:It's very pretty. Looks like a giant Q-1.
I suspect that the MK may have been an influence, though Phil has been using a similar design in his songbird high D's for a while now.
AlbaWhistles

Post by AlbaWhistles »

medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

I am soo gonna regret this post, but here goes...

I understand that it sucks when someone takes your idea and then rudely refuses to give credit. But I don't want to touch that aspect of this topic, as I simply do not know enough of the story, let alone the different sides of the story/stories... :boggle: (I'd sooner join Denny under his desk)

But I just want to ask others, would buying a V3 keep you from buying an Alba later or vice versa? As a whistle consumer and fellow WhOA sufferer, it certainly wouldn't stop me. I own both a Chieftain and an Overton, and generally don't lose any sleep about it. :)
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

please......

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

I am no longer a regular poster but I just have this to say.

Out of respect for Overton (Bernard Colin and Brigitte) and others please do not get involved in this discussion. It's quite clear where this conversation is headed. Some makers have already been through enough without having this discussion.

Please do not take offense.

Please lock this Dale if it continues, please.

Thank you!

Talbert
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Memory could be playing up here but methinks Stacey has had a bleat about this sort of thing before.

As a product designer (as well as a whistle maker) and to reinforce the wonderfully erudite comments by Mitch on Gaelic Crossings, no product is ever really designed from scratch with a blank sheet. Inspiration comes from a variety of places and these elements are combined into a 'new' design - hopefully better in the whole than the sum of its individual parts.

I find it unacceptably arrogant for anyone to claim to tbe the 'inventor' of a particular feature of a whistle, especially when it comes to the fipple. The very essence of the instrument is the windway and the blade and the invention of this is lost in the murky depths of pre-history. Liken it to a car, there are any number of different forms of this 'invention' but they all have a wheel at each corner and one in the middle to steer it with. Automotive designers can play around with the wrapping but the principle remains the same and unassailable.

Alba's configuration may have been innovative at the time but I cannot see how it can be claimed to be an 'invention' otherwise it would (should) have been Patented, and there are many makers out there who now use a similar principle - that of a chamfered edged tube forming the fipple blade. O'Brien and MK spring immediately to mind and I don't hear them being vilified to the same extent as Phil. It is not possibpe to re-invent the wheel after all.

My own fipple designs are unique in that they are my own development of the principle but I cannot claim to have started from scratch, I have drawn on existing successes and continue to do so. Is that plagiarism? I think it would be difficult to prove.

I also suspect that there is an underlying agenda here, one that should be kept off the Forum!

I, for one, look forward to the arrival of the V3. (Oh, didn't Motorola coin that one, shame on you Phil! :D )
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Memory could be playing up here but methinks Stacey has had a bleat about this sort of thing before.

As a product designer (as well as a whistle maker) and to reinforce the wonderfully erudite comments by Mitch on Gaelic Crossings, no product is ever really designed from scratch with a blank sheet. Inspiration comes from a variety of places and these elements are combined into a 'new' design - hopefully better in the whole than the sum of its individual parts.

I find it unacceptably arrogant for anyone to claim to tbe the 'inventor' of a particular feature of a whistle, especially when it comes to the fipple. The very essence of the instrument is the windway and the blade and the invention of this is lost in the murky depths of pre-history. Liken it to a car, there are any number of different forms of this 'invention' but they all have a wheel at each corner and one in the middle to steer it with. Automotive designers can play around with the wrapping but the principle remains the same and unassailable.

Alba's configuration may have been innovative at the time but I cannot see how it can be claimed to be an 'invention' otherwise it would (should) have been Patented, and there are many makers out there who now use a similar principle - that of a chamfered edged tube forming the fipple blade. O'Brien and MK spring immediately to mind and I don't hear them being vilified to the same extent as Phil. It is not possibpe to re-invent the wheel after all.

My own fipple designs are unique in that they are my own development of the principle but I cannot claim to have started from scratch, I have drawn on existing successes and continue to do so. Is that plagiarism? I think it would be difficult to prove.

I also suspect that there is an underlying agenda here, one that should be kept off the Forum!

I, for one, look forward to the arrival of the V3. (Oh, didn't Motorola coin that one, shame on you Phil! :D )
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
scheky

Post by scheky »

Actually Susato beat everybody to that punch quite a while ago. So are we saying that Alba whistles just stole Susato's basic design? Heck, did Hudson whistles steal from Copeland because of the tapered design?

Honestly, get over yourself. Unless he's using the exact same dimensions as you, it's really not worth all the uproar.

Please lock this thread.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

IMHO I do not think it is appropriate for someone to request a thread be locked (as has accured twice in this thread) That is up to the moderators. This is a forum, a public place for open discussion of opinions. As long as no one gets nasty or vulgar, I fail to see why any discussion within topic should be shut down. I for one enjoy a heated discussion, and resent anyone telling me what I should or should not be able to discuss.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I think we are getting a little off topic here. I think the intent of the original poster is to get opinions or perhaps reviews of Phil's new whistle. If the thread is locked, another one will come around when someone reviews Phil's whistle and we'd again run the risk of it degenerating into something else. Learning about Phil Hardy's new whistle version interests me, posts about how derivative it may be does not.
Last edited by Steamwalker on Thu May 10, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlbaWhistles

Post by AlbaWhistles »

Jetboy wrote:Memory could be playing up here but methinks Stacey has had a bleat about this sort of thing before.

I find it unacceptably arrogant for anyone to claim to tbe the 'inventor' of a particular feature of a whistle,

)
I don't belive I have clamed that you must be confusing me with someone else :o
You would be singing a differant tune if it was your whistles :D

in·no·va·tive
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'i-n&-"vA-tiv
: characterized by, tending to, or introducing innovations
Alba Gu Brath
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack