Bragging about my son.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottkent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bragging about my son.

Post by scottkent »

My 9 year old son went to audition for 4 student movies and 1 independant film at a local art and film college called Full Sail. During his auditions he played his whistles. In fact he played Down By the Sally Gardens and for fun he even played Mary Had A Little Lamb on 2 whistles at the same time. He has now been offered parts in all 4 student movies and we won't know about the other one until after tomorrow. Furthermore he was also offered a part in a play about racial tensions in Orlando during the 60s that will be shown in August (yep...he whistled at that audition too). But the best of the best was when I took him to audition at the Shakespere Theatre of Orlando for this seasons shows. He monologued the last few paragraphs of Henery V's St. Crispans Day speech, played Mary Had a Little Lamb on a bowed Psaltery and then did his whistling. The production manager and casting director came out to talk with me about possibly putting him in MacBeth next April. They really liked how he handled himself on stage but were concerned about if he could handle a violent scene in which he and his "mother" would be murdered. He (little Halloween nut that he is anyways) was bouncing up and down saying yesyesyes. So we will be going back in probably November to re-audition for that part, but it looks like it is his to lose at this point. To prove he really wants a Scottish role he has agreed to read MacBeth, watch MacBeth, and learn to play a chanter. I really think his whistle playing helped land him these roles. He only knows one good song, but he knows it well.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

As long as it remains his interest and his motivation, i say, great! and Go fot it!! :thumbsup:

Well done! For you too, obviously. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

congratulations, that is really great. i just love down by the sally gardens.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Good for him!!!!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

from whose side of the family are you claiming his talents?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
bdh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Does that make you MacDuff? :lol:
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

Hey...all this acting stuff is his idea. I blame Universal Studios and their Halloween Horror Nights. He saw the Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure, turned to me and said "When I'm 18, I'm going to play Ted". I don't know where the whistle talent comes from, my brother was this way too, could pick up nearly anything and just play it. I'm proud of the little guy, mostly because he's put in the effort to make himself appealing at these auditions. And because he put up with his friends telling him it was "only acting" and that he should play little league. He chose to take dance (jazz and tap) instead.
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

Just have to add that JW was called today and offered a part in the Independent film (he actually gets paid for this one). It is a Christian film that will be sent on a tour of colleges later this year. Geesh...my son is being filmed in 5 different movies (none of which are longer than 30 minutes, but still...geesh) during the next 2 weeks...and I am convinced that his ability to play the whistle like a musician as opposed to like a kid seriously impacted his selection in all of these films. This kid is going from having a resume with "Played lead role as Beast in Beauty and the Beast for 1st grade play" to credits for 5 films and a stage performance in less than a month. Might I add that until he learned to play the whistle, specifically the tune "Down by the Sally Gardens" he had never been selected for a single role (outside of school and church that is). He only took up the whistle 3 weeks ago and decided to take them with him to auditions on a whim and to give hime something to do to calm his nerves. I'm stunned, and a bit stressed as to how to get him from role to role. His schedule for the next 2 weeks with film shoots, readings, rehearsals, and other assorted preperations really resembles a work schedule for a professional adult...and you know what, he's loving it. Give up play time on the weekend in order to sit in rooms with adults and read through scripts...no problem, he can't wait (me...I want to go fishing, but noooooo). I blame this on his whistling, I really do.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Lay on, scottkent!! Seriously, congratulations to the lad. Wonderful to hear about talented youngsters!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info