Big whistle UK (+ Dixon review)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
medit8b1
antispam: No

Big whistle UK (+ Dixon review)

Post by medit8b1 »

Has any of the U.S. forum members here ordered from Big Whistle shop in the UK? Just wondering how long you had to wait to get your order. I'm currently waiting for an order and was trying to get an idea of how much longer I might have to wait. They do warn you that there is no tracking and no real way of knowing how long, but you know I'm one of those typical Americans who are into instant gratification :D .
Thanks
Last edited by medit8b1 on Tue May 08, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Might take three or 4our weeks, but I have always had good service with Phil at Big Whistle. There is a large selection choice there.
Last edited by Tommy on Mon May 07, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gallant_murray »

Since they're in England, it took about 3 weeks (I'm in the U.S.). They're a great shop though.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
judith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by judith »

Hey - I have ordered from Big Whistle 2 times. Each time, the whistle arrived in about 10 days. Phil is very nice. judith
jmiller

Post by jmiller »

I bought a whistle from them last month. It made it to AZ in exactly one week. That's faster than a few shops here in the US would have got it here. Nice store to do business with.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Wow, I feel silly! :oops: got home from work today and there was my new Dixon waiting for me. Only took a week.
Thanks!
keuka

Post by keuka »

OK the big question now is... What Dixon did you get and what do you think about it?
Donal
AlonE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by AlonE »

I want dixon, but I do not want to wait for as much time so that she arrives at my house, Tony sends his whistles via priority mail or normal?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I'm in UK so shipping is no big deal, but I wanted to add my vote in favour of Phil and BigWhistle.

On the very few occasions when there have been delays while they waited for stock, they have always kept me updated by email.

They have always been great to deal with. I have bought from them loads of times and will continue to do so.

Glad yr Dixon arrived! :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

As a general rule it's very hard to make sense of both the UK and US postal systems. UK to Ireland seems to routinely take a week, rarely shorter and often longer. Ireland to UK anything from three days to two weeks. US can vary wildly, from US will on average take a week but can run up to three (and if someone is cheap, surface mail can take nine weeks). I have had a package posted one afternoon in West Clare delivered the next day in San Fransisco, Ireland to US three days to a week usually. A package from Canada arrived here recently in two days. Hard to predict things but overall things are pretty decent although I have lost several CDs that went to the UK (but never anywhere else).
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

keuka wrote:OK the big question now is... What Dixon did you get and what do you think about it?
I got a very nice non-tunable abs dixon low D. I haven't had very much time with it all yet, maybe five minutes tops, but so far I am very happy with my first impressions. It is a handsome and well made looking whistle (although I'm a bit disapointed that the decrative brass ring on the bottom is just a thin band around the plastic, and not a real end cap, but I'm sure this helps to keep the price down). I bought this whistle as I wanted a plastic whistle to get a different tone color than a metal whistle, but didn't want a susato in low D (I am planning on eventually getting a susato in A, may still get a composite Burke in low D). The sound of the Dixon is very pleasant and smooth. It is a quiet whistle as mentioned by many other owners, but I feel this is more of a plus than a minus, it compliments the tone and gives a contemplative feel. (If you want a loud whistle, buy a metal one!) Plus it makes a great practice whistle, not only because it is quiet but it is also incredibly light weight! The most amazing thing I have noticed is how easy the second octave plays, it's effortless! The tone in the second octave is also beautiful and flute like, not screechy at all. Of course the trade off for this is that the low bell note is a bit softer than I generally prefer. (one of these days I'll find a low D where you don't have to sacrifice the bell note for a good second octave and vice versa) These attributes along with the low price have labled this whistle a "beginners" whistle, but I would encorage experienced players not to pass it over and give it a try, you might be surprised! At the very least you will have added a very different tone color to your whistle pallet for not much money.

And I would certainly recommend Big Whistle music to anyone, the transaction was very satisfactory, the whistle was extremely well packeged for safe shipping (including huge "fragile" stickers all over it), and it only took a little over a week (10 days) to get to me.
manu.bande

Post by manu.bande »

I also want to say that Phil is a great guy , very kind and the service it's really fast , it tooks only 7 days from UK to PRC !

Manuel
john_t

Post by john_t »

Long time reader, first time poster to these forums here.

I too recently got a dixon one piece low whistle (well this morning!). First impressions: It's AMAZING!

I too got my whistle from Big Whistle but seen as I live in the UK it came the next day. Which was great! I have ordered from big whistle 3 or 4 times in the past and Phil is always happy to answer enquiries and questions, and writes in the guise of Mr. Wetyer a very good description of whistles and comes up with some great prices too!

I agree totally with medit8b1s review. Especially the low bell note is too soft bit - It requires a very, very low amount of breath to play.

I am though a beginner. I can play one reel ok on the high whistle, attempted it this morning on the low and came unstuck several times.

Time to read my Low Tin Whistle book it seems!
john_t

Post by john_t »

Here is what the dixon one piece low D sounds llike in the hands of a beginner!

2 mp3s

<a href="http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/townshend/mp3/low low low yoyo.mp3">here is one</a>

<a href="http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/townshend/mp3/low yoyoyoyoyoyo.mp3">here is another</a>