Best way to remove a fipple?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottkent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best way to remove a fipple?

Post by scottkent »

OK, so the Generation Bb I got sounds great. Only had to remove some rough plastic pieces. But then while I was looking at the diameter of the whistle it occured to me that the tube will fit into my Sweetheart Pro D upper segment. Being naturally curious I tried the tube and headjoint together by inserting the lower part of the tube, and what do you know...it really does fit. All I need to do now is remove the fipple, which seems to be soundly gluded in place, and I can try this new configuration. Any tips on removing a fipple?
Thanks
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

i just keep on yankin, and it will pop right off. but other people soak it in hot water. i just twist and pull, twist and pull.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

It's called "making whistle tea". Hot water from the tap in a cup (not boiling!) and just give it a moment or two. The mouthpiece will pop right off. It's an old trick for making those whistles tunable.

But Scott, seriously, you're about to stuff a chunk of perforated water pipe into one of the finest hand-crafted wood whistles on the planet. Are you really sure you want to do this experiment? Please don't go there. The synthetic cork of the Sweet can be replaced at a nominal charge, but really, there's no good reason to go on with that idea. The head joint of the Sweet is considerably different than that designed for the Generation. Even though by coincedenence the diameters are a rough match, no good will come of it and you'll risk scoring the wood with the brass.
Last edited by Tim2723 on Sat May 05, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Whistle Collector wrote:i just keep on yankin, and it will pop right off. but other people soak it in hot water. i just twist and pull, twist and pull.
Be careful you don't make your fipples sore.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Much as I admire your imagination, I don't think you will like the result. The extra length of the head will make it hopelessly out of tune.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

swizzlestick wrote:Much as I admire your imagination, I don't think you will like the result. The extra length of the head will make it hopelessly out of tune.
Yep, it sucked...but it does make some strange notes. Ya never know if you don't give it a try. The extra length seems to be less of a problem than the air that can be pushed through. Big tube wants more air, small fipple wants to jump octave.
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

peeplj wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:i just keep on yankin, and it will pop right off. but other people soak it in hot water. i just twist and pull, twist and pull.
Be careful you don't make your fipples sore.

--James
Remind me not to read this forum while drinking anything. I read this last night and I do believe that for the first time in my life I snarfed Guinness.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Best way to remove a fipple?

Post by Loren »

scottkent wrote: Any tips on removing a fipple?
Plasma Cutter
C4
Delta Force Sniper Practice
Send it to OCC (Just don't let Mikey work on it)
Attach it to a Space Shuttle solid rocket booster
Hire a Samurai
Make friends with an Octopus
Poke a lion with your whistle, or use it to tease a Gorrilla

If you need more suggestions, let me know.

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »

keuka

Post by keuka »

Generation fipples are easy to remove a little hot water and off it comes but I have an older Oak, 10 years or so, that will not budge.
Donal
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

OK, so the Generation Bb I got sounds great. Only had to remove some rough plastic pieces. But then while I was looking at the diameter of the whistle it occured to me that the tube will fit into my Sweetheart Pro D upper segment. Being naturally curious I tried the tube and headjoint together by inserting the lower part of the tube, and what do you know...it really does fit. All I need to do now is remove the fipple, which seems to be soundly gluded in place, and I can try this new configuration. Any tips on removing a fipple?
All the "right" answers to your question have already been offered but your description of the Gen/Sweetheart fit reminded me of the scariest method I have ever seen used to make a Gen type whistle tunable. I am sure others here have witnessed this ritual too. I observed this at a workshop moderated by a well loved whistle player. The method used to loosen the heads involved sliding the gen type tube into the finger tube of an O'Riordan and then using the O'Riordan as a slide-hammer to persuade the plastic head off the metal tube. Yikes! In the end it worked with no apparent damage to anyone's whistles.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Best way to remove a fipple?

Post by Tyler »

Loren wrote:
scottkent wrote: Any tips on removing a fipple?
Plasma Cutter
C4
Delta Force Sniper Practice
Send it to OCC (Just don't let Mikey work on it)
Attach it to a Space Shuttle solid rocket booster
Hire a Samurai
Make friends with an Octopus
Poke a lion with your whistle, or use it to tease a Gorrilla

If you need more suggestions, let me know.

Loren
All very tried and true methods, Loren? :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
walrii

Post by walrii »

scottkent wrote:Remind me not to read this forum while drinking anything. I read this last night and I do believe that for the first time in my life I snarfed Guinness.
Lucky you didn't read the "hand lotion/soft and supple" thread, you might well have drowned. Drinking while reading C&F is right up thee with driving while whistling: we all do it but the list of those forcibly cured grows longer every day.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.