Ashokan Farewell....updated

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Ashokan Farewell....updated

Post by Flogging Jason »

I know....it's not a Celtic tune. I happen to really love it alot though. But, I had a problem with the sheet music...it's written for fiddle! This makes it troublsome to play on whistle because you can't play it through it's full range. So after a little messing around...I figured out how to play it in it's full range on whistle and I wrote it down. I changed it from the key of D to the key of G. Now, I've been playing it on my C whistle but I took the original music in D and wrote a harmony part from it that I can play on my F whistle! It also sounds really nice playing the melody on a low D and the harmony on a low G. I've never done this before and it seems to be successful.

So here is the sheet music I wrote for Ashokan Farewell. The grace notes I wrote in are merely suggestions that seem to work. I would like any advice you might have on improving the harmony(if any). And, chord suggestions would be nice.

Cheers, Jason
Last edited by Flogging Jason on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trill

Ashokan Farewell

Post by trill »

Try it on an A whistle. You'll be able to play it in-key (D) with only two bent notes: 1) the g-nats by the customary cross-fingering (c-nat on a D), and 2) a lone note c-nat (bent by half-holing the 2nd bottom hole).

trill
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I'll try and record this for the tradlessons.com site on whistle this weekend...
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I have a version I transcribed for whistle, with everything below D transposed up an octave. If you PM with an email address you can accept attachements at, I can scan it to pfd and fire it off.

However, it's moving weekend, so service is unlikely to be instant.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

s1m0n wrote:I have a version I transcribed for whistle, with everything below D transposed up an octave. If you PM with an email address you can accept attachements at, I can scan it to pfd and fire it off.

However, it's moving weekend, so service is unlikely to be instant.
That whole "transposing up an octave" is why I re-wrote it. The tune really loses it's depth of emotion when you do that. By changing the key altogether you can play it properly on a whistle. It might tick off a picky fiddler though...lol!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

That's a wonderful tune. Except for one low C note, it works fine on a D whistle. That one note is what gave me the idea to make a D+ whistle, which has the low C.

Jay Ungar, who wrote that tune, lives about an hour and a half away from where I do and runs the Ashokan Fiddle Camp which gave the tune it's name. He holds open sessions on the first Wed of the month down near Woodstock NY. I went once and had a great time, but haven't done it again since I've been in nursing school. It is definitely one thing I plan on doing again once I graduate.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

'Ashokan Farewell' is to Jay as 'Alice's Restaurant' is to Arlo.

It's kind of like doing 'Phantom of the Opera' for twenty years straight on Broadway. They're both very gracious about it, though. It's hard not to love that tune.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Not going to be much help but this tune is quite doable on a keyless D flute, starting the tune on bottom D. There's an F-nat and high C# and a couple of octave shifts but very manageable.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

OooooOOOOOoooh! :o

Couple of guys after my own heart!

Jason, could you post the music in G after its been reviewed to your satisfaction? I have a NAF in G on which I can play an octave+2, and it's mellow voice would suit the song very well I think.

S1mon, could you post your transposition in D? Got a High and a Low and would love to try it in both ('specially the Low).

Ashokan Farewell is an absolutely awesome tune...

:)
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

CountryKitty wrote:OooooOOOOOoooh! :o

Couple of guys after my own heart!

Jason, could you post the music in G after its been reviewed to your satisfaction? I have a NAF in G on which I can play an octave+2, and it's mellow voice would suit the song very well I think.

S1mon, could you post your transposition in D? Got a High and a Low and would love to try it in both ('specially the Low).

Ashokan Farewell is an absolutely awesome tune...

:)
The original notes I found in D are on thesession.org. Turns out there wasn't a scanner at my work so I'm waiting for a friend to scan and email it to me. If anyone knows of a free music writing program.... I can redo it again electronically(I saved my notes/rough draft).
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

CountryKitty wrote: S1mon, could you post your transposition in D? Got a High and a Low and would love to try it in both ('specially the Low).
It's not in a postable format--what I have is on paper. I could turn it into a pdf easily enough, but not into text.

My version sounds good if you're playing with fiddles, etc, (it also has the original version) but the point above about the tune not sounding right without both the lows and the highs is correct.

~~

However, transposing into another key is a bit of a problem, too, Even in D, that third octave d'' is a stretch, and transposing the whole tune up to get the low notes onto a whistle would send it well into the third octave, a place where whistles don't sound good, IMO.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Here's an abc transcription of the tune in G which I did in order to fit it on my pipes.

X:11
T:Ashokan Farewell
R:waltz
C:Jay Ungar, 1983.
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G
(3def|"G"g3 fed|"G"B4AB|"C"c3 BAG|"Em"E2G3E|!
"G"D2G2B2|"G"d2g2b2|"G"b3 c'b2|"D"a4 (3def|!
"G"g3 fed|"G"B4AB|"C"c3 BAG|"Em"E2G3E|!
"G"D2G2B2|"G"d2g2b2|"D"d2f2a2|"G"g4Bc|!
"G"d3 BG2|"G"g4d2|"C"e3 fg2|"G"dB3A2|!
"G"B3 AG2|"C"E4D2|"D"D6|"D"d4BA|!
"G"G2B2d2|"F"=f4ed|"C"e3 fg2|"G"d2B2G2|!
"G"D2G2B2|"G"d2g2b2|"D"a3 gf2|"G"g4||

Play this on an "A" whistle and you'll fit right in with the fiddlers playing in D.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Flogging Jason wrote:If anyone knows of a free music writing program....
Jason, Finale has a free program called Notepad. It's fairly easy to use.

Judy
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Thanks Bill! That works.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

anniemcu wrote:Thanks Bill! That works.
What she said. Bill's version is pretty much what I got. Once I've got the harmony part I wrote digitized I'll post it.