I hate my Susato.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

Hm.. Susato's to me sound too remniscent of a recorder for my liking. I'll take a Feadog or a Generation any day. But yes, there are qualities of that brand I do like, the tone just isn't one of them.

-Eric
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

MTGuru wrote:And in that Lunasa thread, Kevin does recommend Susatos as a second whistle, and confirm that he uses them for both performing and recording.
I have Lunasa's Kinnitty Sessions CD, which has the same tune as in the YouTube video (Island Paddy)...I'd bet money that a Susato was used on that CD...it sounds just like one, and nothing like a Sindt to me.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I like the competitive volume of the Susatos for noisy gigs, but I don't like the tone, however I blow 'em.

I have two, a normal D and a low G. Like I say, they get used when volume is needed, but not my first choice. On the other hand, there is a young lady who plays in a pub session in Killarney who brings tears to my eyes when she plays 'Roisin Dubh' on her Susato - and I mean in a good way.

As for plastic whistles sounding like recorders... Some say the Susatos do a bit, but I have a Tony Dixon one-piece plastic D which is sweet and not at all recorderish.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Yeah - I really don't understand it, but I can always pick out a plastic whistle and I am always irritated. Even the famous Water Weasels bother me. They all sound like the infamous Recorder from the Fifth Grade to me. The only plastic whistle that I would ever consider buying is one of Paul Busman's delrin whistles, but I would much rather take one of his olive wood whistles off his hands. :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

MTGuru wrote:
lyrick wrote:I do laugh whenever I see people use those clips as the 'proof' that Susatos must be good.
Well, that's not completely fair. Marcus only said it sounds good to him.
Well, my laughter wasn't intended as personal, sorry if it came across that way. I was laughing (or rolling my eyes, actually) more at the predictibility of a Susato thread going into the Keven Crawford thing. I generally choose not to laugh at people, I think we all deserve more respect than that, but situations can get me going...

And yes, I suppose I'm doing the same thing as others, trying to validate my choice in whistles by saying, "see, Kevin Crawford plays Sindts, so they must be good". The cheapie lovers do the same thing, "see, Mary Bergin plays Generations, so that's all you need", and they get bashed for it too.

In the end it's about the music, which we all seem to love.
Love...Serve...Remember
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

There are so many whistles available...I've always thought it a little odd to get so hung up (positive or negative) on just one or two kinds.

If you don't like one kind of whistle, there are plenty of other kinds to pick and choose from.

Similarly, if you've found your perfect whistle, maybe you still should pick up a different whistle every blue moon--if nothing else, just to remind yourself how good your favorite really is.

Personally, I think learning to tame the Susato taught me a lot about whistle playing that I wouldn't have learned otherwise; however, not everybody's in it for that.

And that's ok too.

--James

Edited to fix a typo.
Last edited by peeplj on Thu May 03, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

I believe that susato he is good whistle, all say that its sound is similar to a Recorder but I not find similarity, in addition almost all whistles has flippe of plastic… is not this a little idiot?
so so... susato he is best whistle produced in mass, all know it.

http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Au ... mphrey.mp3
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

peeplj wrote:There are so many whistles available...I've always thought it a little odd to get so hung up (positive or negative) on just one or two kinds.

If you don't like one kind of whistle, there are plenty of other kinds to pick and choose from.

Similarly, if you've found your perfect whistle, maybe you still should pick up a different whistle every blue moon--if nothing else, just to remind yourself how good your favorite really is.

Personally, I think learning to tame the Susato taught me a lot about whistle playing that I wouldn't have learned otherwise; however, not everybody's in it for that.

And that's ok too.

--James
On the other hand, it's awfully fun to get all freaked out about it! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

AlonE wrote:I believe that susato he is good whistle, all say that its sound is similar to a Recorder but I not find similarity, in addition almost all whistles has flippe of plastic… is not this a little idiot?
so so... susato he is best whistle produced in mass, all know it.

http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Au ... mphrey.mp3
Susato's sound the way they do for a number of reasons. But I think the main reason is that their entire contruction is plastic unlike a Feadog, Generation, Clarke Meg's, Sindts and Syns. All those whistles may have a plastic head, but their bodies are of a metalic nature, giving them a not so much recorder sound, but rather a sound of their own. And you may find, that each different metal a whistle is made of, will also affect the tone of that whistle. I think the other reason for the "Susato sound" is the considerably thicker walled tubing used in Susatos

-Eric
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

[/quote]
On the other hand, it's awfully fun to get all freaked out about it! :D[/quote]

Yeah, that is kinda the fun part of this forum isn't it? :lol: Susato, the whistle you love to hate. I should pass that line on to Susatos marketing team!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Water Weasels are all plastic too, but i sure like mine better than the Susato.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
CelticNot

susato hatred/love/ambivalence

Post by CelticNot »

Could it be that part of the reason some folks think Susatos sound recorder-like is that they (at least the Kildares), like recorders, are made with a tapered bore? I seem to recall reading somewhere that conical and cylindrical bore flutes don't produce the same spectrum of overtones.

Regarding anniemcu's comment comparing the Susato to a Water Weasel: the widely admired Water Weasel is cylindrical, hand voiced, and made of PVC (or cpvc?) while the Susato is a tapered bore production whistle made of ABS plastic, so one shouldn't expect them to sound all that similar. (I don't mean to dis you anniemcu — I just think you were comparing apples to oranges — or maybe Granny Smith apples to Macintosh apples.) At any rate, I like having a couple of Susatos in my whistle collection, and I enjoy playing them. I would probably like a WW too if I had one.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Umm... my Susato is not tapered.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i actually prefer a sweeter tone more than a raspy one. i love Pat O'Riordan's whistle. dont get me wrong though, i do like raspy whistles, i just like sweeter or more pure ones better.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan