eyeglasses, electrical tape, state of California

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

chas wrote:... Yet, if you buy the highest purity chemicals available, they will contain the warning (paraphrase): According to the state of California, some contents of this package are unknown. ...
One of my favorite after-hike food stops, the North Bend Bar & Grill, prefaces the standard "undercooked beef may be hazardous to your health" warning with the following statement: "The State of Washington wants you to know that you will die... some day." :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

SAND, WASHED AND DRIED
3. Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. OVEREXPOSURE MAY CAUSE LUNG DAMAGE. MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION. INHALATION CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS QUARTZ WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure.
The problem with warnings like the above is that they do not tell you logical precautions. When everything is labeled dangerous, then all of the labels are ignored. So, the same as what Missy said.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

WARNING! The Chemicals in this Product may cause a State of California!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

brewerpaul wrote:Cran--- you need to be aware that wearing glasses fixed with electrical tape will mark you as the quintessential nerd. I'm just sayin'...

If it will stick your particular variety of glasses, crazy glue would be the way to go. As far as I can tell, it's non-toxic when it dries. There is a surgical adhesive known as Dermabond which is also a cyanoacrylate adhesive, so it's gotta be pretty non-toxic, even before it dries. In any event, the bridge of the glasses shouldn't actually be touching your nose anyway since the glasses rest on those nose pads. The only problem may be that not all plastics will accept glue easily.
My glasses are metal, not plastic. For now they're not breaking, yet. But I'm going to try to fix them tonight probably.

Oh, and by wearing taped glasses I think not that I'll show that I'm not the quintessential nerd (even though I know how to spell quintessential), rather that I'm the quintessential college student: broke. :)
Denny

Post by Denny »

does the school have a welding shop?

(whatever ya do, don't wear the glasses in California if ya tape them)
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

If you use super glue, be careful not to get any on the lenses. Even if you wipe it off right away, you'll be left with a blurry blob that you can't see through. Been there, done that, had to buy new glasses! :D And I wasn't even fixing my glasses, just glueing something else very small and got too close and the glue squirted up. Good thing it didn't get in my eyes.
Charlene
djm

Post by djm »

Any optician's shop should be able to solder your frames back together good as new. Many will do repair stuff for free or a very small fee.

The following program contains coarse language and viewers. Violent discretion is advised.

:boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'm always violently discreet. Aren't we all?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Cranberry wrote:Hmm...thanks. That makes sense.

P.S. Annie, why do you drink out of garden hoses?
when we were kids we drank out of the water hose all the time when we were playing outside. if we went inside our mom would find something for us to do. there are spigots designed with a removable turning on knob for mean people who hate kids who use their water. there were people in our neighborhood who installed these kind of spigots on their homes. if you let the water run for a long time, the water eventually comes out colder and anything that may have been in the hose are flushed away, except for chemicals that kids don't think about.

where did you grow up that you didn't drink water out of hoses?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Heck, we use to drink out of the creek if we were really thirsty and far from home.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:...why do you drink out of garden hoses?
Because they're there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

Seriously, why bother going inside, dirty up a glass and waste ice when you have a high-volume water fountain that reaches just about everywhere in your yard out there with you? It's the same water. And obviously none of us have died from it yet.

Come to the dark side.......take a sip........... :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Cranberry wrote:Oh, and by wearing taped glasses I think not that I'll show that I'm not the quintessential nerd (even though I know how to spell quintessential), rather that I'm the quintessential college student: broke. :)
You may think that, but it still spells nerd. Sorry. It's too embedded in the culture.

I second the suggestion to chat with an optician about a repair before doing a home job. A chat doesn't cost anything.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

avanutria wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Oh, and by wearing taped glasses I think not that I'll show that I'm not the quintessential nerd (even though I know how to spell quintessential), rather that I'm the quintessential college student: broke. :)
You may think that, but it still spells nerd. Sorry. It's too embedded in the culture.

I second the suggestion to chat with an optician about a repair before doing a home job. A chat doesn't cost anything.
I dunno...
Wikipedia wrote:...[nerds] show a pronounced interest in subjects which others tend to find dull or complex and difficult to comprehend, especially topics related to science, mathematics and technology, but also other domains, such as comic books and anime, complicated board games (such as Risk or Stratego), role-playing games (some of which would be MMORPGs, such as World of Warcraft or Maplestory), strategy games, science fiction, horror and fantasy literature, and competitive debate. They generally maintain encyclopedic knowledge of their chosen subject, easily recalling obscure or archival details.
from wikipedia's nerd entry
I don't think cran qualifies as a nerd.

I don't think he's a geek either.

I'm a geek. little bit nerdy... :wink: nothing to be ashamed of. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Well, I've glued them. They seem to be ok. I'm just going to save up and get a new pair of frames in a couple months.

I think a part of the reason my frames are falling apart is because they're square-ish. It seems to me that circular frames wouldn't tend to bend or break so easily...