An experiment which could destroy the Earth

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Because the end of the world is HILARIOUS. Make tragedy more tragic, and it becomes comedy. If the experiement stood the chance of, say, merely making the whole area in a ten-mile radius uninhabitable, that wouldn't be funny at all. But reducing the entire earth to a hot cloud of strangelets, that's definitely funny. Besides, did you really read the phrase "hot cloud of strangelets" without at least smiling? Honestly?
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Cool, 1:50000000, we must take chances in life.
If things go wrong, will Basel be affected before, say, Jupiter?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Hot cloud of strangelets". That is definitely on the list for my future usage. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ro3b wrote:Because the end of the world is HILARIOUS. Make tragedy more tragic, and it becomes comedy. If the experiement stood the chance of, say, merely making the whole area in a ten-mile radius uninhabitable, that wouldn't be funny at all. But reducing the entire earth to a hot cloud of strangelets, that's definitely funny. Besides, did you really read the phrase "hot cloud of strangelets" without at least smiling? Honestly?
I do not think it's funny.

Call me a stick in the mud if you will.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I agree. I mean, just think about it. he he. Oops. I didn't mean that. It's really not funny.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

DJM, think this is more probable, or less so, than the Leafs winning the Stanley?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm

Post by djm »

'Tis Spring, and the links, the links are a-callin' .......:roll:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i have found my thread. you are my people. i wanna see something large, very large, fall from the sky. i'm talking huge, bigger than a skyscraper. i wanna watch it so that it starts out as a dot in the sky and gets bigger and bigger. in version 1, i wanna see that thing fall in a dessert. in version 2, i wanna see that thing fall in a body of water. in version 3, i want the object to be flat, like a piece of square of metal that sways back and forth as it falls, and i wanna see it sway into a very large tree or electrical tower.

i thought maybe that artist who put up the pink umbrellas and put the material around the islands could do this for me.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

mutepointe wrote:i wanna see that thing fall in a dessert.
Well, ok, but as long as it's not MY dessert, thankyouverymuch.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
mutepointe wrote:i wanna see that thing fall in a dessert.
Well, ok, but as long as it's not MY dessert, thankyouverymuch.
mutantpointe can have mine... :D
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:Why don't people take this seriously?
They do. They just don't want you to know it...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Should it happen, we'll just continue on in another ficton, probably the one that has Kentucky Fried Duck.

KFD. Is it really....duck?!? :boggle: :twisted:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mukade

Post by mukade »

Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Every time they go to a higher energy, there is the minute possibility they will cause some sort of havoc on the local space-time. I would be more concerned about experiments to explore hyperspace; http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=652812. We might find where all the dark matter is hiding and get inundated, or open a portal into Hell, or something.

As far as time cops, things on the time line are rather stable right now, so don’t expect any trouble soon.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Rod Sprague wrote:...We might find where all the dark matter is hiding and get inundated, or open a portal into Hell, or something....
Meh, it's all been done...<yawn> :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown