wooden flutes from china (ebay)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

The Whistle Collector wrote:Jon, those Pakistan flutes do suck real bad! :swear: what a waste of money, those guys dont know what they are doing.
There's a sucker born every minute...and two to take 'em.

I'd have to disagree... :D
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The Whistle Collector wrote:Jon, those Pakistan flutes do suck real bad! :swear: what a waste of money, those guys dont know what they are doing.
Well that was about 30 flutes ago, and it did motivate me to start making my own. Cuss that flute really sucked! :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Someone told me they'd played one of these chinese wooden boehm flutes, and that the tone and playability were pretty good but the workmanship was shoddy and it wasn't expected to hold up very well.
William Bajzek
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluti31415 »

or maybe they DO know what they are doing. :( I admit to having bought one Pakistani flute, just to see how bad it really was (it was B A A D). And then there are the millions of people who don't know enough about flutes or music to know any better.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

fluti31415 wrote:
or maybe they DO know what they are doing. :( I admit to having bought one Pakistani flute, just to see how bad it really was (it was B A A D). And then there are the millions of people who don't know enough about flutes or music to know any better.
However, the owners of the music stores who sell the flutes do know better. They know that their advertisement copy about the flutes is untrue. This amounts to deceit and the victimization of the public, IMHO.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Doug_Tipple wrote: However, the owners of the music stores who sell the flutes do know better. They know that their advertisement copy about the flutes is untrue. This amounts to deceit and the victimization of the public, IMHO.
Yup, and if we keep biting our tongues real hard, they can remain unnamed. I'm glad to say, I resisted the temptation, but not by much.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Here's the persons website. http://stores.ebay.com.cn/musicinstrumentworld

It looks okay, although personally I would never buy a flute without playing it first. I was just wondering that's all.

Cheers,

Dave
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

I bought a Chinese-made dizi dirt cheap (~$12) in Chinatown and it plays quite well actually. However the bore wasn't laquered so it cracked from the swelling, but it still plays.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
fluti31415 wrote:
However, the owners of the music stores who sell the flutes do know better. They know that their advertisement copy about the flutes is untrue. This amounts to deceit and the victimization of the public, IMHO.
That is an excellent point that I had not thought about. Thank you!
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
azw

Post by azw »

A Chinese flute might be worth considering, but I didn't see any Irish flutes on that eBay dealer's page.

For what it's worth, I recently bought a Rogue guitar made in China. It's incredibly good for the price. It sounds great and stays in tune better than any other guitar I've ever owned. I'm very happy with it, but maybe my ear isn't as sensitive as some.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I have a lovely one I got off of ebay... lovely to look at, that is. As for sound... hah!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
redleaffly68

coule you show me the picture?

Post by redleaffly68 »

because i dont' think china gets wooden flute, most of ours are made of bamboo, because it's a culture, and wood can't reach the effect of bamboo. so please make it clear.
withak

Post by withak »

Yeah, it's not the nationality (Pakistan vs. China vs. whatever) that is the problem with the flutes in question. It's low quality, factory-produced flutes of any nationality that people around here get worked up about. :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

rh wrote:
jim stone wrote:The chinese flutesmay get good.
Indeed, you can see a number of good-quality musical instrument lines coming out of China. Eastman mandolins, for example, have a good reputation at an attractive price point. They are also pretty responsive to the market. A few years back, it was not very common to see any lower-end makers putting out oval-hole mandolins; once they started to become popular, Eastman was right there, filling a niche market for people who may have spent their wad on a high-end F-style and were looking for an inexpensive-but-good-quality oval hole. So i wouldn't be surprised if within the next few years we see good-quality economy-priced timber flutes aimed at beginning players or Boehm or sax doublers who might be looking for something that won't set them back too much but isn't a piece of junk.
Being at the hub of the Boehm flute making universe (Boston) and having toured and interviewed at several of the "Big Name" flute making operations here, I can tell you that Chinese made flutes are already quite prevalent - Powell, and Haynes both have Chinese made flute lines.

Here's an interesting little tidbit, and something to keep in mind when you next consider an Eastman Mandolin, or any chinese made instrument for that matter:

The Eastman company bought the William S. Haynes flute company, started making and importing their import line of flutes, then a little while later, fired all their U.S. flute makers and shut down U.S. flute production entirely. Those familiar with the history of Modern flutemaking will realize what a travesty this is.

Sadly, this has become commonplace, the: Chinese companies buying marque names in order to attach the big name prestige to a low cost import line, often to the detriment of the U.S. based company and employees.

I'd say think twice before purchasing any Chinese made products, if the above reasons are not enough, we can head on over to the rubber room and discuss their human rights record (yes, it's even worse the recent U.S. behavior), and their environmental policies (what policies???), etc. etc.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Sat May 05, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Why don't flute makers buy the Packastan flutes, re bore and voice them? They would bound to be good flutes. They could consider the origional flute as a pre-reemed blalnk. Jon, take your old Packastanie flute and rebore and voice it and see what happens. I assume they use good wood.

Nelson