Burke Low Whistles--Feedback (Low F)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Burke Low Whistles--Feedback (Low F)

Post by psychodonald »

Would appreciate feedback regarding Michael Burke Low Whistles, low F in particular. If the feedback is negative, please send it in a private message to me rather than posting on the forum. I've read the comments/ ratings on the main website and they have been very helpful; however, comments from those of you (in the field) who own or who have played a Burke Low F Whistle would be most welcome. As you can tell,I'm interested mainly in the low F whistle at this point in time. Have you noted differences between the composite and the auminum, if so, what might they be? In looking at Burke's web site, there appears to be sufficient whistles in stock, so I'm guessing there isn't a waiting list. :D Thanks, Don.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I have (thanks to the generosity of a kind C&Fer) a Burke low F, aluminum, and I love it. It has a delicate yet rich softness to it and in that way is different from the higher Burkes I have. I am addicted to its sound; I don't have another whistle that sounds quite like it.
/cf
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

I have a Burke Viper low D and it is delightful. It has a warm yet clear tone and is easy to play.
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

I play an aluminum low F and love it. The tone is rich and full and the whistle is nicely in tune. I highly recommend it.

Laura
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I bought a Burke Low F aluminum from a board member and I love it! The tone is rich and warm and very versatile. I can play tough and aggressive with it or I can play slow and mournful. The last hole can also be turned to accomodate your preferences in finger position. It's well worth the money!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I own Burkes in aluminum from high E down to low C. They are well designed and well made. The low F is a terrific whistle with a good tone and it is very responsive. I own a couple composite Burkes but not a low F. The composites can have the richest tone of the Burkes. My composite low D sounds slightly more complex, some would say woody, than the two (different vintages) Burke aluminum low Ds I have. They all play very much the same. The composite whistles are extremely light weight. You almost forget you have to hold on to them. The aluminum whistles are still light weight but more durable against dings and moisture. I like the mostly delrin mouthpieces on the composites but have no complaints on the aluminum/delrin heads. You can't go wrong with either material but if you play in places where a whistle can get punished a bit I would recommend the aluminum. Buy both.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Burke Low Whistles (low F)--I'm sold.

Post by psychodonald »

Thanks to all of you who have responded, you have helped me decide. In fact, as soon as I finish this I'm going to place my order. By the way, I think this is a great forum, you folks are so very helpful to one another and patient to. Thanks again and Cheers, Don. :party:
jaredhoyt

Post by jaredhoyt »

What do you guys mean by the composite is more "woody"? Sorry for the noob question, but I just started playing in December so all this stuff is pretty new to me. I've been playing in worship settings - a lot of slower breathy stuff.

I'm just asking because I'm also thinking of getting a Burke low F or E but not sure which I'd like more - composite or aluminum. My wife got me a Chieftain low D for my first.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

What do you guys mean by the composite is more "woody"?
What I meant by "woody" is that the tone is warmer and a little richer or more complex than the aluminum versions. The difference may not be as apparent to your audience as it is to you, the player. And the composite whistle tube is made of a recipe of wood fibre and resins. You can read more about the material here in a post by Michael Burke himself.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=39963

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
scheky

Post by scheky »

I have a Burke Low F (Aluminum) and it's one of my favorite whistles. Of course, I've always loved F and the Burke is definately a keeper.

Between it, my Copeland Low D and my Horde of high whistles, I'm a pretty happy guy atm.