How many have had formal training & instruction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by E = Fb »

Another post about whistlers in the UK inspired me to wonder how many C&F members have had formal training, specifically in whistle. And I suppose a second question would be, how many have had ANY formal instruction. I have to admit that I've had some as a kid, which helped me a lot when I bumped into the whistle later in life.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi E=Fb! I am self-teaching (by choice) on the whistle. I could probably find an instructor, but I can't understand the music theory or sight read so I'll settle for informal tips here and there and playing by ear. having fun!

Slan
-Paul
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am self-taught on whistle and hammer dulcimer. My degrees are in music education, music theory, and composition.
I hope to have my first whistle 'lesson', this coming weekend, at a workshop near Gettysburg, PA.
Best.
Byll
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Had a couple of years with Bill Ochs on whistle in NYC, but no other formal training.

Philo
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I played and had lessons, band classes, and made some cash in a semi-professional jazz band on the Alto sax.

I've self-taught myself whistle, flute, guitar and mandolin, but because of those early years on the sax I'm much better with wind instruments than anything with strings...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Took lessons, went to workshops,
helped me a lot!
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

I've taken lessons for a couple of years now and it's really made all the difference for me. Some people do better with self taught than others, but I'm the kind that learns faster from watching someone.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I am a self taught whistle player, with the help of books. I must say that the Bill Ochs book with cd has been the most help. I've found that whistle tunes are like pipe tunes-written one way, but not always played exactly as written and being able to hear how the tune should go is a trememdous help.
I had years of training in music all through my youth, starting on piano at 7 and continuing with this and other instruments through high school and college. Later, training on GHB and tenor drum and continue with these. If I could find a whistle teacher I'd love to have lessons.(Maybe one day I can afford Swannanoah)
I can imagine it would be much harder if I did not have this grounding in music and had to "start from scratch".
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Self-taught on the whistle, but have had a lot of other formal music instruction, from piano and guitar as a kid to a lot of vocal stuff as an adult.

Redwolf
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Formal training on orchestral flute, Baroque flute, and recorder.

Until a few years ago was self-taught on whistle and Irish flute, then starting taking Scoiltrad lessons.

It has made a lot of difference in my playing. I can't say enough good things about them.

By the way, for me at least, advanced formal training on classical studies did almost nothing for me as far as learning Irish trad. Your mileage may vary.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I used to be a trumpet player. Had formal lessons on it up to first year college. Joined the Navy, got out, and for four years had one hour lessons every Friday in college, on flute.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-No formal instruction in whistle.

-Formal school choir and viola training, group guitar classes, and pick-up learning from contra-dance band cronies in mandolin,
backup guitar, whistle and old-time banjo.

-Not to "dis" the training, but listening to good recorded or live music probably has as much to do with getting a good musical ear as playing. Instruction, however, can instill confidence in a newby that regular practice will lead to good music on any instrument.

- My "Aha, I want to sound like that whistler!" moment came when hearing
Billy Novick on the "Yankee's Revenge " medley on the David Bromberg "Midnight on the Water" album
about twenty five years ago. He really cuts loose nicely on the Drowsy Maggie section.

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-10-20 11:23 ]</font>
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Somebody whistled
"Another post about whistlers in the UK inspired me to wonder how many C&F members have had formal training, specifically in whistle. And I suppose a second question would be, how many have had ANY formal instruction."

None :eek:)

But I can read sheet music, which I print out if I like the tune, and want to learn it.
E.g. hearing a tune I like, I'll look for it on say JC's abc database, listen to the midi,
and print out the sheet music version, which I use to practice from, listening to the midi or a downloaded mp3 as necessary to remind me.

I learned the spaces FACE (bottom to top),
and the lines EGBDF (bottom to top).
Playing the notes to the tune taught me what the black/clear/dotted notes meant. There are plenty or sites on the 'net anyway.

"What ever works for you", is my motto.

I play whistle(s) 98% of the time, but can play guitar, ocarinas, didjerido (tuneable for key)for bass in some sessions, autoharp.
All self taught with lots of practice (17 years)and perserverance.
So if I can, then anyone can :smile:

HTH

Dam typo!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Easily_Deluded_Fool on 2002-10-20 11:49 ]</font>
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Formal training in voice and clarinet... self-taught on the whistle. After reading so many good things about Scoiltrad, I'm really considering doing that now. :smile:

Andrea ~*~
BillG

Post by BillG »

Formal on the clarinet (I think Columbus was the teacher) and some piano;six lessons on the Boehm flute. Self taught chromatic harmonica, sax, whistle and Irish flute (except one lesson from Bill Ochs and one symposium with Skip Healy and John Skelton).

Reading sheet music and using MP3 (as has been mentioned) is the way to go for me. I intend to follow up lessons with Skp Healy on the flute but he's in Rhode Island and I'm on Long Island, NY. I'll make a two day trip and try for three lessons.

6Ps can't be beat!

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)