What's wrong with people these days?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

So, about 7 blocks from my house, at the shopping center my 8 year old son and I were in yesterday (and someone in our family is at at least 3 times per week), some nut with a gun just killed 3 people (at least) and more are wounded at the hospital. He just started shooting everyone in site.

Eric
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

A lot of people are mentally unstable, and it's really easy for them to buy guns, unfortunately.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I know you're right Cran. I'm just kind of in shock.

So much for conceal and carry laws helping - several folks were shot and at least two killed in the parking lot where they legally could have had guns in their glove boxes or concealed on their persons. As tends to be the case 99% of the time, it was the police who stopped the guy.

KC never has been the safest city - we're often in the top 10 or 20 crime cities, but this trend to kill in batches is incredibly unnerving.

About the time of the shootings, or slightly before then, my wife was very close to sending me to the store where the shootings occurred to buy more school pants for my son...I'm glad I bought an extra pair yesterday or there's a good chance I would have been in that parking lot at just the wrong time.

Eric
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

There are threads on gun topics at http://cnfpoli.informe.com/viewforum.php?f=2. I heartily recommend the officially approved C&F controversial forum for discussions of this type.

Just one click of the link saves the mods here having to close threads down.

See you there, guys :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jack

Post by Jack »

It's my impression that Eric is just shocked and asking questions of "how could this happen," not wanting to debate guns. I could be wrong though...
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't know Jay. I'm just glad you weren't there, and I'm intensely sorry anyone else was.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

how horrible :sniffle: i am glad you and your son were not there.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

How horrible! I too am glad that neither you nor your son were there, Eric.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

izzarina wrote:How horrible! I too am glad that neither you nor your son were there, Eric.
Indeed. My heart goes out to the families involved.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm not really trying to debate guns and/or their control. Virg. Tech was a no gun area, the parking lot where two of the folks were killed was not. Doesn't seem like either works. I am, quite simply in shock, and I came here for a mix of comfort and to express my disbelief.

Something has to be done, though. The mall was filled with kids, lots of older folks in the neighborhood with canes and walkers.

What do you tell your kid when someone starts shooting? Do you run or get down on the floor and cover the kid with your body?

How do you help along an elderly person who can't move quickly when the only thing reasonable to do is run?

Why do I have to know the answer to such questions and how do I explain to my son we still need to go to the mall and the stores around there again?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Those are all tough questions, questions people have to ask all around the world every day. I don't know that there are any easy or simple answers, unfortunately.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I don't know.... it's sad and depressing to think about..... I am glad you folks were not in the wrong place at the right time......I wish someone had real answers to sensless horrors like these, but no one really does...makes me want to become a hermit.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

no Jesus and no Music in their soul
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:It's my impression that Eric is just shocked and asking questions of "how could this happen," not wanting to debate guns. I could be wrong though...
That was my impression too, but you know how other people can accidentally set things drifting...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I live in, and frequent, pretty uneventful parts of town. Still, one never knows. Ever. Terrible goings-on, Eric. I'm glad no one close to you was hurt.

I don't know how to answer your questions, Eric. Personally, all I have - in the end - is to just live as best and as fully as I know how, as I know the Reaper's there biding his time for me however it plays out. I realise that's not of much help when it comes to explaining things to children. Maybe all one can do is, hoping against hope, to point out the unlikelihood of such things happening again, and trust in the ability of children to rebound and get on with life and living.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician